Interviewer's response to thank you email

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcjmz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I know this probably sounds really neurotic (actually I know it does), but I just recently sent a thank you email to my interviewer at my top choice MD school where I interviewed on Monday. There was a paper in our folder directing all thank you's to be sent electronically directly to the interviewer. I just sent mine earlier today thanking them for their time, saying that I was impressed with the facilities, and touching on things we discussed during my interview.

Being that it was my top choice, at the end of the message I said that I would be very interested in attending the school, and would be very grateful for the opportunity to do so.

I received a reply that just said, "It was nice to meet you."

Is it possible to read into at all? I felt that my interview went decently, but could this response be a bad thing?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol.

It was probably just a quick response out of courtesy. Don't read into it.

Would you read into silence?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If that doesn't foreshadow rejection I don't know what does.

It's probably fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Xanax now please.
Chill.

Hey everyone,
I know this probably sounds really neurotic (actually I know it does), but I just recently sent a thank you email to my interviewer at my top choice MD school where I interviewed on Monday. There was a paper in our folder directing all thank you's to be sent electronically directly to the interviewer. I just sent mine earlier today thanking them for their time, saying that I was impressed with the facilities, and touching on things we discussed during my interview.

Being that it was my top choice, at the end of the message I said that I would be very interested in attending the school, and would be very grateful for the opportunity to do so.

I received a reply that just said, "It was nice to meet you."

Is it possible to read into at all? I felt that my interview went decently, but could this response be a bad thing?

Reactions: 10 users
Please don't read into this. You can never be sure of anything until decisions come out. It sounds like you wrote a thoughtful thank you letter and your interviewer politely responded. And yea, they probably aren't allowed to say things that would give you false hope.

that sounds typical of the kinds of emails that faculty tend to write. They are short on time and their emails tend to be more memo like curt responses. It doesnt mean much

haha that is brutal. Good luck!

If anything, be happy that you even got a response!

It means "it was nice to meet you and I hope I never see you again. You are a total non-fit for our school, why did you even bother to send us a thank you email? Are you trying to suck up to me? Just go apply to some other school and don't bother reapplying here".

Do you think people have time to write a response to every interviewee they saw?

Members don't see this ad :)
OP is already accepted and therefore could not be this neurotic.

You've all been successfully trolled.

OMG, even worrying about this after already getting accepted is just even more beyond unnecessary. No matter what he's in, worry about booking a vacation and get a long break from this stuff imo.

Dude honestly it makes perfect sense. What would I do after I'm riding high about getting accepted? Troll SDNers about how I could never hope to get accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
Dude honestly it makes perfect sense. What would I do after I'm riding high about getting accepted? Troll SDNers about how I could never hope to get accepted.
What if he's legitimately concerned about being accepted after already being accepted? I mean if you really don't think about it, it makes perfect sense.

On the subway there was a bump and the back of my hand brushed against the firm ass of a rather attractive female passenger. I'm pretty sure that means we're engaged or something.

Hmm this is a tough one, but I know what you're going through. Of the 5 interviews I attended, not a SINGLE ONE offered me an acceptance right away. Pretty ridiculous, if you ask me.

I mean if you really don't think about it, it makes perfect sense.

This discussion has become a paradox, and therefore it is no longer occurring yet occurring at the same time.

latest

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm this is a tough one, but I know what you're going through. Of the 5 interviews I attended, not a SINGLE ONE offered me an acceptance right away. Pretty ridiculous, if you ask me.

Agreed. There's only like several hundred other people to evaluate in the mean time.

I wasn't trying to troll, sorry if it came off that way. It's just that my interviewers said the same thing last cycle, when I got rejected.

Thanks for all the insight though!