Interviewing and application changes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaitingImpatiently

Long Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little background
Shortly after I completed my AMCAS application, I got a full-time research position immediatly after summer school (my final quarter). I never updated the AMCAS regarding this information, but I did include it in some applications asking what I've been doing since. However, about a month after I began the job, things started to go sour and I was let go. I knew I couldn't get a real job with such a short time commitment before I began med school, so I decided to do some really cool volunteer work that is a lot more related to my interests and future goals.

My question
I have an interview coming up soon at a school that did ask on its secondary what I have been doing since graduation. I never updated my application with this school (told them I got fired), so I'm worried that it'll come up during the interview. I'm going to go with the truth, but I'm worried that the interviewer will question my integrity because I never updated my file after the secondary. What's worse, I'm afraid that this school will notify all other schools about my situation. What should I do at this point? The interview is less than 6 weeks away-- should I tell them now about the firing that took place many months ago, or should I just bring it up only if asked at the interview? Does anybody think that what I tell my interviewer will affect my status with other schools?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would update the school with the new volunteering that you are doing, but would leave the firing out of it. They don't need to know the terms that led to your change in plans, they just need to know what it is you are doing. Of course be honest if they ask, but otherwise, I don't think you are obligated to tell them why you stopped working and began volunteering.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by wolferman:
•I would update the school with the new volunteering that you are doing, but would leave the firing out of it. They don't need to know the terms that led to your change in plans, they just need to know what it is you are doing. Of course be honest if they ask, but otherwise, I don't think you are obligated to tell them why you stopped working and began volunteering.•••••Wolferman-
Thanks for the reply.
You think I should just write a letter NOW (before the interview) mentioning my new position? I'm worried that if I do mention my new "job," then the interviewer will ask about my situation for sure.