interviewing at sgu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pavaswani

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to interview with SGU. I am in San Diego currently... Anybody have any tips, suggestions, questions you've been asked, off-the-walls, etc....?
;)

Members don't see this ad.

I got this email from someone in the SGU unofficial forum. Good luck!

Hello there,

I have pasted the suggestions below. Most of it says is true. The essay questions is pretty easy and it's to check if you can jot down a few sentences.

Most people told me that the questions the interviewer would ask would be laid back and relaxed...however, my interviewer (in Pales Verdes, CA) surprisingly asked me about abortion & euthanasia. Nonetheless, I hope the suggestions below helps.

Regards,
emil
========================================================================
I was very surprised at how laid back the interview style was at SGU. My interview was in a hotel in Buffalo, NY with a cardiothoracic alumnus. Instead of the intimidating "why should we take you" mentality, it was very formal, first names and all. The ?s are a deviation from what i am used to. The interviewer took a genuine interest in my background and had obviously done his homework...he never opened the file until near the end. But, the ?s are straight forward and my advice is not to BS the interviewer. They dont ask you the typical why do you want to be a doctor type ?s. Nor, are they a lot of what ifs and hypotheticals. Its just a very down to earth "chat." Hope this helps.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think it would be hard to generalize how your interview is going to be. It will depend on your interviewer. Personally the best advice, and the most often stated, is just be yourself. This way you can put YOUR best foot foward. The only question you will definetly be asked is "Why do you want to be a doctor?" I would also recommend browsing over your CV and noting any accomplishment, awards. Also if there are areas that you are weak in (GPA, MCAT, extra-cirr.), think about how you would explain them. Generally I found the interview to be laid back and not too stressful.
------------------------------------------------------------------------Actually, if I remember correctly, the interviewer had a copy of my personal statement. I brought a list of questions to ask so that I wouldn't forget anything (when my interviewer saw me pull it out he mentioned that he thought that it was a good idea) but other than that and a pen, nothing else. If you have any publications or a really impressive CV then I would also bring a copy to give the interviewer.

The advice about being relaxed and being yourself is gold...it worked well for me.

Oh yeah and by the way, my interviewer actually did not ask me why I wanted to be a doctor! I was kind of disappointed because that was one of the few questions I actually prepared for. But I would err on the side of caution and be ready for that one anyway.

Well, my interview lasted about 15 minutes plus the essay I wrote in 10 minutes. My interviewer asked me a hypothetical situation regarding changing medical records under extenuating circumstances for a close friend. That was my hardest question. The rest of the time he asked me about 3 other questions and I asked him a whole bunch of questions about SGU and his career as a doctor. It was REALLY laid back.

Remember, there is no right or wrong answer to the questions you will be asked. They are designed to test your critical thinking skills under pressure. SO JUST RELAX!! The interview for SGU was by far the most relaxed and converstional interview I have ever had..

In terms of the interview I don't know what to tell you, the person who interviews you is a SGU alumnus. They will ask you general questions about yourself, what you like to do outside school, and to see whether you are the type of person who will adapt ok to living in the Caribbean. They might ask you stuff about traveling and where you have traveled to.

The interviews by and large are relatively relaxed. That is, no tricks or unpleasantness. You shoudl be prepared to discuss your application and strengths and weaknesses. Be honest about both. Remember all sgu students have something that made them think they'd need to go abroad. Also be prepared to ask some questions about sgu. Show that you have been researching the situation. youll have to do an essay but its nothing more than to make sure you wrote your own application essay, and that you can string a few sentences together (and that you aren't proposing anything particularly radical). Be ontime, be friendly, be enthusiastic.

The interview is generally pretty low key; be yourself, relax. Be friendly and interested, also have some questions prepared for the interviewer. someone suggested having questions written down to go through and i think that's a good idea; it shows organization and preparation. show you've been looking into the school There will be an essay but its nothing complicated; just to see that you wrote your essay on your admissions app and that you can string an English sentence together.

Likely, someone with weak MCATs but otherwise an attractive cadidate would be admitted to the Academic Enhancement Program. (AEP)> Its a program of manditory tutilage which, from what I hear, works quite well. These students tend to do very well in class and on the boards. Many who aren't in the program sit in on the classes.

As for interview prep (if you haven't already had it) ujst relax, be friendly and come with a list of questions about sgu. Let them know you've been doing your research.

Don't panic, first of all. Read up on the school- what it offers, special programs etc. If you have the time, also read up on other caribbean schools so you have something to compare.

If you at all possibly can, interview at the school. Can you see yourself living on the island? Do you feel comfortable at the school?

Make certain that you have good eye contact with your interviewer, and don't answer questions they aren't asking.

As far as the interview is concerned dont worry! Just know your application really well. THe guy asked me about some of my activities. Also I think the interview q's were like why SGU, what 3 words describe yourself, and why do you want to be an MD. Also for about the first 30 min of the interview, you will be instructed to write an essay with the above q's i believe.

Just be honest and tell the interviewer what your reasons were for getting a bad grade in a class (if u did). As far as the MCATs are concerned just say that you couldnt sleep or something the night before (it was thetruth for me). I mean i think if you've got a lot of ECs that are good and appropriate AND you've had leadership positions, you will be fine.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Congrats on the interview!! is it for the upcoming term in august? or is it for the January starting class? Let's see from what I remember the interviewer was an SGU grad practicing in Kaiser Palos Verdes. It was half an hour of casual interview about whether I think I'm qualified to go to med school (in a Starbucks coffee shop by the way...) and then I had to write an essay a page or so./ They give you 3 questions. I remember the one I answered... which was "name one event that has had a significant impact on your life" I think another was "why do you think you'll make a good SGU student?" and I can't remember the 3rd. Ummm what else... oh yea, make sure to wear professional outfit (I was in a suite) even if the interview was in starbucks. and yea, if you live in Hollywood, north hollywood, or westwood or bev. hills, your interveiwer will be this Armenian guy Alan Alaverdian. If you're in Glendale, Pasadena or Burbank you'll get some white doct! or (who practices and has the interviews in his office in Pasadena) Well other then all this, don't be nervous, show confidence, and be honest.

Essay: explain 3 of your fallacies & your strong points.
Mention Robin
WHY SGU?: Good teachers, getting you ready for USMLE I, my friends did well there (90%+ on USMLE I).
Be confident.

thanks sooooooo much berkeleyboy!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D

Members don't see this ad :)
That list of suggestions/advice is very good and helpful; I used it for my interview.

I compiled the list after speaking with SGU students, and since posting it on the SGU unofficial forum, others have also found it useful.

I hope you also find it helpful. Best of luck and I hope to see you @ SGU in January! :)