interviewing during audition rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxiousnadd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should schedule a sub-i/audition rotation/whatever you wanna call it during November-December. Reason being I'm not sure how well I'll be percieved by the program that I'm rotating at if I ask for days off to go interview.

I feel I should utilize my elective months in Nov and Dec wisely by doing auditions, but wasn't sure if I would only be shooting myself in the feet by doing so.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

An audition rotation in November-December is pretty late.

Most programs have a deadline for application November 1.

Obviously if you were to apply earlier and then be there during interview season, you would probably get a courtesy interview. But it wouldn't look so good if you were to take several days off during an audition.

An audition rotation in November-December is pretty late.

Most programs have a deadline for application November 1.

Obviously if you were to apply earlier and then be there during interview season, you would probably get a courtesy interview. But it wouldn't look so good if you were to take several days off during an audition.

Concur with "The Boss" here. Don't take days off for interviews during away rotations, these are a 30 day interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at a program and took two days off (of a two week rotation) from the program I was auditioning at...which happened to be the one I matched at.

Grain of salt needed.

I also took a day off to interview during an audition rotation. The individuals at the program didn't mind at all and were very understanding. In the end it didn't matter anyway because I didn't match at either the program I was doing the rotation at nor the program I went on the interview for.

In all honesty, I probably wouldn't do more than one general surgery sub-I. It's really not all that necessary (unlike other specialties, I think ortho for example). The best thing it did for me was to see what the program was like.

Please read my post above.

Taking 1 or two days off for an interview is generally not a problem and its obviously possible to match at a program where you did so.

My comment said don't take SEVERAL days off which is what the OP was asking about.

Please read my post above.

Taking 1 or two days off for an interview is generally not a problem and its obviously possible to match at a program where you did so.

My comment said don't take SEVERAL days off which is what the OP was asking about.

I certainly wasn't disagreeing with you or any other post, rather merely offering another individual example of taking day(s) off for interviewing, and it working out well.

Certainly taking several days off for an interview would probably not be the best idea while on an away rotation, just use good ol' fashioned common sense.

Despite rumors to the contrary, users are allowed to disagree with me.

Whether I let them live is another matter. :smuggrin: ;)

LOL... well the rumors are pretty prominent...

In that case allow me to appeal to your mercy!

Could someone give me the timeline of application/letters/interview for gen surg?

Specifically:

1) When do most interviews come start/end?
2) When is the latest I should ASK for letters?
3)How the hell do you manage to schedule these away electives? I feel as if you pick some dates and you dont know what you'll get and its just a confusing process of b.s. that you hope will work out with your schedule..very frusterating.

Could someone give me the timeline of application/letters/interview for gen surg?

Specifically:

1) When do most interviews come start/end?

November through January. Some programs will interview in October and February.

2) When is the latest I should ASK for letters?

Since the deadline for complete applications for most programs is November 1 (some have an October 15 deadline), you should give your letter writers at least a month to write the letter. So I would venture to ask no later than October 1 - don't forget that you have to get the letter uploaded to ERAS and sent to your programs as well, so you'll have to factor that in.

3)How the hell do you manage to schedule these away electives? I feel as if you pick some dates and you dont know what you'll get and its just a confusing process of b.s. that you hope will work out with your schedule..very frusterating.

Pretty much. Most schools give preference to their own students and you get what's left over.

Since the deadline for complete applications for most programs is November 1 (some have an October 15 deadline), you should give your letter writers at least a month to write the letter. So I would venture to ask no later than October 1 - don't forget that you have to get the letter uploaded to ERAS and sent to your programs as well, so you'll have to factor that in.

In addition to this, the recommendation from my school is that you should try to have most of your letters well before then. If you are trying to submit your application and get interview offers early on, you should have at least 2-3 of your letters completed by early september.