Interviewing early vs. having to pay big deposits early

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jillibean

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an interview invite for a DO school that requires a very hefty deposit (if I get accepted that is) and I am debating when to schedule the interview. I am thinking that if I do it ASAP my chance of getting an acceptance goes up, but if I do it later, I may have a better idea of what all of my options will be before having to make a financially costly decision. Any thoughts.....

Members don't see this ad.

jillibean said:
I just got an interview invite for a DO school that requires a very hefty deposit (if I get accepted that is) and I am debating when to schedule the interview. I am thinking that if I do it ASAP my chance of getting an acceptance goes up, but if I do it later, I may have a better idea of what all of my options will be before having to make a financially costly decision. Any thoughts.....

If you move the interview to mid-October you will have a better chance at completing other interviews by then and get some DO acceptances before the end of the year. i'm not sure about MD interview timelines.

There are a lot of factors I would use in assessing this situation. I sort of faced the same issue last year and ended up coughing up a lot of $ and just had to deal. First off, out of all of the schools that you applied to, how badly do you want to go there? Also, how many interview requests are you getting? How confident do you feel that you will get in somewhere? You just need to realize that by delaying any interview, you are effectively reducing your chances of admission to some extent... for example, if the school initially has 100 spots but only 50 when you interview, they may be a little more particular and less likely to accept you. I would play it very conservatively here. You have to ask yourself if you would be ok not getting into a school anywhere b/c you held off your interview vs. how much the extra money is worth for you to save. Good luck!
Amy

I think it is really important to rank your DO schools and only put down deposit on the highest ranked school you got into by december xx, or whenever the first deposit is due