Interviewing for a waitlist spot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know schools differ in what months they interview (some start in September others in October) but when do most schools stop interviewing?

More importantly, when are most classes full, and when are interviews just for a spot on the waitlist?

I applied to >30 schools and still haven't heard from 20 or so. Even if they do invite me, I feel like it's already so LATE in this cycle, their class is almost full, and even if they want to accept me, I'll be waitlisted...

Members don't see this ad.

Schools have varying policies on the interview timeline. Some draw it to an end in March, some in April. I don't know when they stop inviting folks for those last days, however. Schools also begin classes in different months and only a few would actually interview people for waitlist positions. I know some people were taken off waitlists as late as August.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I should continue to wish, hope, pray for more invites. The cycle is far from over...

My guess is that as the season drags on, you're more likely to be waitlisted after an interview, but I'm not sure if you're ever exclusively interviewing for the waitlist at most schools (they're probably still accepting some students from interviews.)

There's still a lot of time left before May and most schools will still be interviewing for a few more months.

While I still think its early enough in the game to be interviewing for a space in the entering class, schools DO interview for waitlists spots... and use the interviews to rank the students on the list.

Sort of sad...... asking a student to spend $$$ flying across the country and knowing that the class is full already.

My guess is that as the season drags on, you're more likely to be waitlisted after an interview, but I'm not sure if you're ever exclusively interviewing for the waitlist at most schools (they're probably still accepting some students from interviews.)

There's still a lot of time left before May and most schools will still be interviewing for a few more months.