Interviewing in two specialties at the same institution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jump3r

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in a bit of a delicate situation. I received interview invitations for both IM (categorical) and Neuro (categorical) in the same institution. I just talked to a friend who's an IM resident there and he said that the IM program director will be giving a talk to Neuro applicants during their interview. So I don't think I can do both interviews as that would be too big a risk to take.

I really do like both programs though so I came up with this idea: I'll try to switch tracks from categorical to preliminary for IM, since I'm also applying to advanced Neuro programs. ERAS says I need to contact the program directly to do this. The IM PC seems friendly enough and maybe she'll be able to do this for me without the PD or other members of the residency committee noticing. My personal statement and LORs are not really specific so I think I might be able to get away with it.

What do you guys think? Is this a good idea or should I just give up and decline one interview?

Members don't see this ad.