Interviewing late ... do I still have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quarterhorse

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a nontrad applicant (34 year old current flight nurse) and applied late in the cycle - AMCAS complete in early Oct, secondaries in Oct-early Dec. I'm late in the cycle not out of laziness, but because it was July when I decided that it was time to finally stop thinking/talking about med school and actually do it ... so that is when I began studying for the MCAT, etc. I took the MCAT Aug 24 and got 520, and have good GPA (overall 3.88 including nursing school, BCPM 3.91). I applied to 7 schools and have 3 interviews so far, still waiting to head anything from 2 schools ... but I'm concerned about how badly it is going to hurt my chances of acceptance being so late in the interview cycle. Any advice/words of wisdom/encouragement?

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Your two posts indicate you very new to this forum, take some time to explore the threads my equine friend. The shared experiences of a thousand premeds await.

Reactions: 1 users
Submitted primary to a program in mid-October, received II mid-January, interviewed mid-February, acceptance letter dated 5 days after interview, now an alumnus. You've got 3 IIs out of 7 apps. Many people on here would kill for that kind of yield. Stop worrying.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your two posts indicate you very new to this forum, take some time to explore the threads my equine friend. The shared experiences of a thousand premeds await.

You would be correct! I did a quick search and saw lots of results about whether or not applicants got II's after applying later ... not as much about their chances of an acceptance after interviewing later. Guess I need to keep looking :D

Submitted primary to a program in mid-October, received II mid-January, interviewed mid-February, acceptance letter dated 5 days after interview, now an alumnus. You've got 3 IIs out of 7 apps. Many people on here would kill for that kind of yield. Stop worrying.

Excellent ... it's great to hear a success story from someone in a similar situation!

You would be correct! I did a quick search and saw lots of results about whether or not applicants got II's after applying later ... not as much about their chances of an acceptance after interviewing later. Guess I need to keep looking :D

I get the feeling, but can not confirm, that the major hurdle is getting an II, so if you have gotten those despite applying late, you should have a similar chance as if you applied early. It depends on the school of course, but the issue that late applicants run into is not getting an II.

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a nontrad applicant (34 year old current flight nurse) and applied late in the cycle - AMCAS complete in early Oct, secondaries in Oct-early Dec. I'm late in the cycle not out of laziness, but because it was July when I decided that it was time to finally stop thinking/talking about med school and actually do it ... so that is when I began studying for the MCAT, etc. I took the MCAT Aug 24 and got 520, and have good GPA (overall 3.88 including nursing school, BCPM 3.91). I applied to 7 schools and have 3 interviews so far, still waiting to head anything from 2 schools ... but I'm concerned about how badly it is going to hurt my chances of acceptance being so late in the interview cycle. Any advice/words of wisdom/encouragement?

Thanks all!

What schools did you apply to?

I wish I had your problems

If you're getting an interview, that means that you're competitive and still have a shot. For non-rolling admissions schools, if you're a competitive applicant and a good fit, you'll get in whether you interview early on or late. For rolling admissions schools, a very strong applicant that would have gotten in earlier had they interviewed early is still likely to get in late. They're not going to turn down a super strong applicant if they want them. But if you're marginal for that school, they might not want to extend you those limited seats.