Interviewing s/p arm surgery...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tachyon34

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For various reasons I need to have surgery on my elbow within the month, but this will probably necessitate being a cast for 1 week and a sling for another 2-3 weeks, and this will be from 3rd week of november to probably end of december...

Do you think that, other than the inconvenience from traveling with one arm, that it would affect interviews at all? Do you think program would view that negatively or would they understand?

Members don't see this ad.

For various reasons I need to have surgery on my elbow within the month, but this will probably necessitate being a cast for 1 week and a sling for another 2-3 weeks, and this will be from 3rd week of november to probably end of december...

Do you think that, other than the inconvenience from traveling with one arm, that it would affect interviews at all? Do you think program would view that negatively or would they understand?

If you can avoid it, I would, but if not, if you explain that it's temporary, it shouldn't hurt you. It probably also depends on what field you're going into. Surgery may be a bit warier of someone with an injured arm.

I know one person who interviewed on crutches after a stress fracture of the hip and one who did all of hers in a walking cast after tearing her achilles tendon. Both matched successfully. Travel is going to be nightmarish though. Any chance of doing the surgery on some light rotations after January?

I don't think it will affect your interviewer's opinion one way or another except if you tell them your injury happened while you were doing something illegal or unethical.

I think showing up with your cast or sling on your arm will be a great conversation starter. Prepare some great anecdotes and use the uniqueness of your situation to your advantage.

I don't think it will affect your interviewer's opinion one way or another except if you tell them your injury happened while you were doing something illegal or unethical.

I think showing up with your cast or sling on your arm will be a great conversation starter. Prepare some great anecdotes and use the uniqueness of your situation to your advantage.

Tend to agree with this opinion. Folks will ask about it, and unless it's a long-term issue no one will care. I knew a pathology resident who used a wheelchair to get around sometimes; no one cared. If you are able to do the job being asked of you, that's what'll matter. Your application will stand on its own merits.

thanks for the opinions.. greatly appreciated. Its really just to fix a nerve nerve problem in the elbow, should lead to a permanent cure but yea while im healing I will be in a cast.