interviewing season neglecting your rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gas-x

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know if anybody else is in the same boat as me. i've been interviewing like mad this past month...to the point where i only went to my rotation for 6 days (out of 4 weeks). anybody doing the same? i'm not sure if this is OK, but so far the attendings don't care. are you guys busy like hell also? the next two months will be the same. i'm a bit concerned about not showing up to the rotations, in fear of failing. but what can i do? i need to go to these interviews.

just wanted to see if others are in the same position.

Members don't see this ad.

My school's got a rule set in that you're only allowed to miss three days per four week rotation. Some rotations are stricter than others on this rule. But we've got plenty of time to take off completely since only 32-34 weeks are required for the entire year. So most of my classmates took either Dec, Jan, or both off solely for interviewing. As far as missing that many days on a rotation, we would most definitely fail it here.

i think my school gives us five weeks total for fourth year. in my opinion, that's not enough at all. i spent one week between third and fourth year moving across the country. two weeks prior to boards. that leaves me with two weeks. well, how the hell would i know where to assign those two weeks for interviewing before the season even began? so i just moved them to the end of the year so i can "graduate" early.

i have met students across the country who ended up with 2-4 months off. 4 months!!! we get a pathetic 5 weeks. i think it's completely ******ed, but then again, my school has screwed us many times in the past. i also think we get three days off per month, according to a classmate. but that's the stupidest thing i've ever heard.

anyways, just venting.

I get 3 days per 4 week rotation. However, if you let the res coordinator know what you have scheduled at the beginning of the rotation, most of them are cool with it. You can always try to make up days by working weekends or night call.

I just took a rotation where the coordinator was a total f***ing Nazi though and really squeezed my nuts about missing 4 days instead of three... He said that I shouldn't have scheduled the rotation if I knew I was going to have to take the extra day. Too bad for me that the 4th year schedules were set last April. He basically left me hanging at the end of the rotation by saying, "Well I'll have to look at you evaluations and see..." I have about 6 interviews scheduled for January though where I'm gonna have to miss about 10 days total (including travel days)... I really don't see what we (the students) are expected to do. I guess the only thing we can do is go to the res coordinator and beg and plead to go on our JOB INTERVIEWS. :-D