Interviewing Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Wylde, May 7, 2008.

1. Wylde

Pre-Medical
    So, this really isn't a huge deal but I want to waste some internet space:

Tomorrow I have an interview for Big Brothers, Big Sisters and the application asks if you've done: alcohol and/or tobacco and/or drugs.

I figured I'll just be honest about it and say it helps give me perspective about issues some kids may be facing. How does this look though? Insta-rejection? Should I lie (I really don't want to)?

I honestly don't think it'll be a huge deal, I mean it's for volunteerism! Not a CEO position here.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TheRealMD

TheRealMD "The Mac Guy"

Medical Student
    If it's #1, that's fine. #2 might give a slight pause (it's not a great example for kids). However saying you've done #3 will get your app thrown out the window. Would you want YOUR kid around someone who's done drugs? I wouldn't.

Such is life. Do what you think is best for you.

4. Bananas Foster

Bananas Foster Eats Whole Pies

Medical Student
    It will probably depend on who is doing the interview and how well you impress them in general, my impression is that the coordinators have some extent of latitude in who they hire.

For example, I know that The Boys Club in chicago has some volunteers and assistants who were former gang members, the people, however, were kids who grew up within boys club so that they were already well known by the coordinators, who, I'm sure, could trust they were no longer representing their gang background.

I like the fact that you're not married to the idea of getting the position, so I urge you (as always contrary to RealMD) that usually honesty is the best policy. Being a role model isn't easy and if you have an open and honest professional relationship with your coordinator that will probably help you down the line.

5. Margaux1985

Margaux1985 0k member

Pre-Medical

Same as what Bananas Foster said earlier. I like the fact that you want to be honest about it. It's better to be truthful and have integrity than to lie in order to obtain something. Besides, it sounds like you're 21, I don't think the tobacco/alcohol thing will matter. As for the drugs, I think there would be something seriously wrong with their organization if they rejected you because you took a few puffs while in college. Their organization is pretty big and diverse, so they would probably have a couple of members whose done this kind of thing.

6. TheRealMD

TheRealMD "The Mac Guy"

Medical Student
    Eh, I'm talking about a past vs. present thing. If you're not currently doing any of these things, then the truth shouldn't hurt (too much). However, they can't regulate what you do in the privacy of your own home.

7. Margaux1985

Margaux1985 0k member

Pre-Medical
    :thumbup: Couldn't have said it better