UCLAreject

Registered "User"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
la
Status
Not sure if this has been covered before, but are there others out there who feel more comfortable interviewing with the oppsoite sex, or does it just hold true for male interviewees like myself, or is it just me???

derzornhistolog

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Status
I can't say interviewing with females in particular has hurt me, because my interviews with males have gone just as badly!

Haybrant

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
Status
i always seemed to get along really well with my female grad student instructors; awkwardly the vast majority (>85%) of my gsi's were female. I reckon Id get along with them better in an interview too

WERD11

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
Status
as a male, I always feel more comfortable interviewing with a female. maybe we're just studs....

Scarletbegonias

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2005
Oklahoma
Status
I'm a female who just had an interview the past weekend with three male interviewers. I felt kind of intimidated and hesitant to open up to the interviewers. I questioned whether their gender had anything to do with it because the day before I had a mock interview with a female and I felt like my performance was a lot better. It may have had something to do with nerves. My pre-med committee interview consisted of two males and two females on the panel, and I felt better at the end of that one, even though it was my first type of interview like that ever. Its probably not true in most or in all cases, as it probably depends on the interviewee, but I feel that female interviewers can add more warmth to the "conversation," and for me that helps me be relaxed and open up.

PreMedAdAG

I am so smart. S-M-R-T :)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 16, 2002
CA
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would tend to agree with the OP. As a female, I am much more comfortable interviewing with male interviewers. In addition, I work better with men, would prefer a male coach. But I always want my physician to be female. Weird huh?

I like interviewing in front of men because i'm a no nonsense type of person and I'm not in need of warm fuzzies when i'm being interviewed. I Like the abruptness of men, the "let's get down to business" way of thinking. Most of all, I know how women think. The second i walk in the room, we automatically make a judgement (usually it's fairly neutral, but nonetheless a judgement) about another woman's appearance, gait and hair.. ha ha... anyway... it's just a self confidence thing.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I prefer interviewing with men, too. I've only have two female interviewers (and tons of male interviewers), and the females kind of intimidate me.

vhawk

2K Member
Gold Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
UCLAstudent said:
I prefer interviewing with men, too. I've only have two female interviewers (and tons of male interviewers), and the females kind of intimidate me.
Guess thats the difference between a UCLA student and a UCLA reject? Har Har har :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously though, as long as they are hot, who cares what gender they are? Oops....

Acherona

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
vhawk01 said:
Guess thats the difference between a UCLA student and a UCLA reject? Har Har har :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously though, as long as they are hot, who cares what gender they are? Oops....
I prefer male interviewers, for some reason they have been nicer. The women have tended to be bitchy. I don't know if this is a function of my gender or just luck.

CarleneM

patent pending
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
Watertown, MA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Acherona said:
I prefer male interviewers, for some reason they have been nicer. The women have tended to be bitchy. I don't know if this is a function of my gender or just luck.
interesting, I am just the opposite. I always relax a little when i see two female names on my interview schedule for the day. Every female interviewer I've had has been friendly and non-confrontational whereas I've had a few (older) men who were just colder and/or more confrontational. I've had some great male interviewers but I think, at least anecdotally, there is a higher chance of getting an old, very conservative and hostile male than getting a hostile or standoffish female. I'm sure they're out there though and i'm knocking on wood that i don't get one on my two remaining interviews.

PineappleGirl

Sweet and Juicy!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
Boston
Status
PreMedAdAG said:
I would tend to agree with the OP. As a female, I am much more comfortable interviewing with male interviewers. In addition, I work better with men, would prefer a male coach. But I always want my physician to be female. Weird huh?
I am exactly the same way.
I always thought this was weird too, but perhaps not.
Or perhaps we're both weird. :D

gdubb

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
nc-->dc
Status
PineappleGirl said:
I am exactly the same way.
I always thought this was weird too, but perhaps not.
Or perhaps we're both weird. :D

Yeah, I'm also that way. So, since there's three of us, I'm saying we're normal, right? :rolleyes:

PineappleGirl

Sweet and Juicy!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
Boston
Status
gdubb said:
Yeah, I'm also that way. So, since there's three of us, I'm saying we're normal, right? :rolleyes:

Or we're all weird. :D

KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
Status
I've had way better interview experiences with men than women. I find that women are more confrontational to me. I think women are harder on women, don't know if men are harder on men....

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
vhawk01 said:

Hahaha, except that I am a female, so in essence I was agreeing with the original poster. :laugh:

davedavedave

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
I definately feel more comfortable being interviewed by females.. i'm more open and uninhibited for one reason or another...

leechy

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
Status
CarleneM said:
interesting, I am just the opposite. I always relax a little when i see two female names on my interview schedule for the day. Every female interviewer I've had has been friendly and non-confrontational whereas I've had a few (older) men who were just colder and/or more confrontational. I've had some great male interviewers but I think, at least anecdotally, there is a higher chance of getting an old, very conservative and hostile male than getting a hostile or standoffish female. I'm sure they're out there though and i'm knocking on wood that i don't get one on my two remaining interviews.
This exactly describes my own experience. My bad interview experiences have been with older males; my interviews with the younger ones (male and female) have been fine, though. Perhaps it's an age thing, and there just happen to be a lot more old male doctors than old female docs.

Kazema

In a kingdom by the sea
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
I agree, I feel more comfortable being interviewed by a woman. Don't know exactly why, but I feel like in general I'm more comfortable having conversations with women I don't know than men I don't know.

merovingian

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
Visit site
Status
I've had a few interviews, and I've had only 1 interview with a female doctor, and it was by far my worst interview. Either she was just a b!tch, or she saw my file and/or my face and suit and just didnt like me from the beginning, or all of the above, I dont know, but after a few minutes I could tell she was giving me a hard time and we just did not click. All the other interviews I've had with men seemed a lot better, and they seemed nicer. I always thought I would be a little more comfortable with a woman and more intimidated by a man interviewing me, but from my experiences, it was the opposite.

The way I knew my interview with the woman was my worst by far...it was my only rejection after an interview. No waitlist, no on-hold status, no nothing.

akpete

Drinks, anyone?
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Madison
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have had 5 male interviewers, and have yet to have an interview with a woman, so I'm not quite sure who I'd prefer. Although, I think my actual interviews are easier than the one with the pre-med committee. Not question-wise, but the fact that they know me and the interviewers don't. Like I have a clean slate or something. I dunno.

By the way, I'm a girl.