Interviewing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medica2006

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my first two interviews coming up at my state school and University of Chicago. What is the best way to prepare for these interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Great tips comign up

1. Research the school. See what they like.
2. Read over your personal statement and glance at you ECs. Often questions get asked about either and you dont' want to sound stupid by not recalling what you put on the application.
3. Prep yourself. Go through quesitons about your weaknesses/strengths/why medicine/when did you decide to look at the health field/and your life story in a short spiel.
4. Be yourself. Don't fake who you are otherwise it will get you nowhere.
5. Sell yourself. Know what the school is looking for such as underserved areas, research, etc. and see if there's anythign from your past that fits into what the school stresses.
6. Be yourself.
7. Relax and have fun.
8. Be yourself.
9. Relax and have fun.
10. Be yourself.

Take a look at <a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=005783" target="_blank">this thread.</a>
<a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=006486" target="_blank">This one</a> probably has more advice from me than you'll want to read! (But I stand by all of it ;) ).

Welcome to SDN, and good luck with your interviews!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Do just Nebraska says,

but more importantly you want to talk about yourself right?
so four main things you wanna cover
1. personality - what kind of person are you?
Positive attitude, ethusiatic,good heart)
(if your not= dont want you in my class...but hell you can pretend for the day)
2. What is your experience with - helping people . tutoring, community service, interacting with people, mentoring, helping sick person or homeless et.c you get the drift.
3. What is your experience in the clincal setting? - Have you noticed the doctor-patient relationship, voluteering in a clinic, hospital, anything. Hell you will be spending 3rd and 4th year in the hospital or the rest of your life.
4. Research- have you done any research. Know your thesis, the limitations of your work, how you came about your hypothesis.

extra stuff. BE Positive and enthusiatic -goes along way, gives a good impression on the interviewer. Talk with other intervieweers and stay cool.
Hell, pack some luck too!!!

hi-
i interviewed at pritzker and to prepare i checked <a href="http://www.interviewfeedback.com" target="_blank">www.interviewfeedback.com</a> and found it pretty helpful. i think the m.d/ph.d. interviewer has a list of questions they need to get through, while the student interview is a bit more free. personally, my student interviewer was one of the nicest guys i've ever met. i also read their mission statement and about their curriculum. best of luck!

I think it is important to do the things mentioned in the previous replies. However, remember this is your opportunity to see if the school is for you. If you recieve multiple acceptances, you will need to decide on a school and the interview is an important part of this process. Is it a place that you will be happy at? Is it good in the area of medicine that you are interested in? Average indebtedness of grads? Curriculum? Grading system? And I copied this from a posting on the medical school board about some ways to guage the hapiness of students in a school and things to ask. I hope it helps.

Some questions you can ask that may help you out:

How often do you hang out with classmates? Do you study with classmates a lot? Is there a lot of resource/note sharing over the email list? Is there a grading curve or is it straight scale? Is their lots of community service activities? Is their active participation in student-run clubs and which clubs are popular? How much interaction is their between students and faculty outside of school (at our school, the chaplain, deans, and profs have been know to party with us)?

Some things to do: stay with a student host to get a feel of 'a day in the life'. Check out the student lounge/cafeteria and see how kids interact. If there's something going on (bar night, halloween party, etc.), try to get one of the students to bring you along (they will love to).

Originally posted by NebraskaAggieDoc2Be:

1. Research the school. See what they like.•••

Hi,
I was just wondering whether anyone knows what Wash U likes. It doesn't say anywhere on their brochure or their website (a regurgitation of their brochure) what they want. I have an interview there in two weeks.

Well, I am not a great expert on WashU but I did interview there. They treat you really well for your stay there. I was not asked any tough ethical questions but the school is a premier research institution so be prepared. I was asked about my research, current breakthroughs in research, and whether I thought about a career in academic medicine. They also asked me some of the regular questions also ie tell me about yourself, what do you do for fun and blah blah blah.