interviews 2003/2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

path19

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
my username is now officially path19. rads19 is no more. i just wanted to share that I JUST GOT MY FIRST INTERVIEW INVITATION!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

and i haven't sent in anything yet except my basic application. (no letters, etc). i certainly didn't expect to here back this quickly. anyone else hear anything yet?

Members don't see this ad.

welcome "path19"...i almost didn't recognize you!

did you get the invite by e-mail or snail mail?

i have heard nothing yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Path19: Congratulations on the interview invitation! When did you submitt your ERAS application? I submitted mine last night. Could you tell me if the program you got interview from is on the East Coast, Midwest or California?

California path residents: Can anybody give me some ideas when or how soon after ERAS application submission the California programs (i.e. UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, Stanford, etc.) sent out their interview invitations?

Congrats! I got my first interview today as well :clap: I couldn't stop smiling the rest of the day :D I've been dying for an interview, but now I'm faced with the same problem that other people were talking about last week: how to coordinate the travel -- especially since 4 of my programs STILL haven't downloaded my application! I'll hold out until next week, at least, before I set any dates, I suppose. I'm just happy to have an invitation!

Oh, this program is on the East Coast, and the invite came by email :) I did have a message today in my ERAS message center from a program, but they sent the same message by email and it was just a notification that they had my info.

how can you tell if they have downloaded an application?

ADAT! Login to MyERAS and click on the ADAT link on the top of the page. It is a bank of information.

Geo

i got an interview invitation from john's hopkins today. only interview offer so far.

hopkins. nice one!

Yay! I got my first invite for an interview! It came by snail mail, nothing by email. It's at UTHSC in San Antonio, anyone got any inside information about that program? My only problem is, next month I'll be in San Antonio doing my pathology rotation at BAMC where I would like to end up. Would it be horrible for me to ask off for a day to go interview at another program while I'm in town?

I've gotten one interview through "snail mail" from emory. The other 2 i've gotten so far were via email.

:) I got my first interview invitation from Yale today by e-mail. I also got e-mails from Conell and Duke saying that they had received my applications and were going to make decisions on the interviews soon.

congratulations on Yale!

they must not like me. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
how do you guys set up interview dates? I got an invitation from BIDMC. Have any of you arranged a time with the coordinator yet? Thanks.

I did write back to the coordinator to arrange the interview date. As I know the date of another interview on the East Coast, I just arrange all East Coadt interviews around that date.

Yay! I got an email invitation to UTMB in Galveston! That's 2, but I haven't set any up yet.

Galveston, BIDMC, Cle. Clinic, and Upenn here, 1st three by email latter by snail mail. I am holding on scheduling for a couple of weeks until we get more feedback from other programs.
The next two months should be interesting to say the least, drama, disappointment, surprise, and who knows. One day at a time. Anyone else hear from programs?

I got an invitation from Johns Hopkins today by e-mail.

U Chi today by email

Hmm. Sounds like I should actually fill out my ERAS forms, then.

I have gotten one per week since submission

BIDMC first week
U Vermont week 2
Northwestern this week

I applied to 17, all but one are in central and eastern time zones. Nothing south of virginia.

Duke and Northwestern by email, UNC by snail mail.

So far all I have are email requests because I am on an away rotation and can't check my mail. For that reason I thank you all for listing your interviews and the means of contact from each program.

yale
johns hopkins
uchicago
uwisconsin-madison
uvirginia

those are the ones I remember off the top of my head, I have to check to see if there are others.

Geo

I got my 3rd invitation today by email, Scott & White. All of mine are in Texas (family). I'm in the HPSP and I'm hoping for a military match, so I'm scheduling all civilian interviews in January. If I match, I can just cancel my interviews.

Tonka:

Are you talking about interview offers for the undergraduate applications? Here is the path residency forum. I happen to see you in the pre-med forum saying that you are a 10th grader and a pre-pre-med student ???

:rolleyes:

Tonka: I am posting one of your many recent posts on the pre-Allopathic (MD) forum. Maybe it was your alter ego speaking:

Originally posted by tonkatruck [09-08-2003
02:33 AM]
Hi,

This is my first post. I am a junior in HS and all my life since I was young, I have wanted to be a neurosurgeon.

I am really stressed about getting into a good school to start this process. I took my first crack at the SAT and scored a 1470. Is this good enought to get into a IVY or Berkeley? Should I take it again?

Also does anyone have any suggestions about the best volunteer activities that will impress med school admission committees? My dad says I should just do something that sounds interesting, but I want to do something that will stand out.

Lastly, does anyone know if any labs in the LA area would let a high school student come to research. I always read how you guys are really stressed if you have enough research or not. That is starting to freak me out because I don't have any. Time would be a problem, as I am playing football, am class president on the student council, plus studying all the time, and hoping to volunteer on weekends. But still I got to get some research going.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I can't wait until I am medical student. I just want to be a neurosurgeon so bad.

we have a schizo on the forum!

Has anyone heard back from Hopkins on an interview date? I received an offer by email 2.5 weeks ago, replied a few days later, and have heard nothing since then.

I called back after the invite to jhu and they set me up for the end of Oct and then they sent out a confirmation by US mail so you might want to call if you still are without an answer-

Thanks, pbp4. I got a confirmation letter in the mail today for a date in November, so I guess they scheduled me after all. Nice of them to notify me :rolleyes: Fortunately, I haven't scheduled anything else around that time, so it all works out.

I've hit a dry spell with the interview offers... and UMich still hasn't even downloaded my app -- the lone holdout. I'm getting impatient!

dry here, too. What's up with UMich? One more last week from George Washington U (email). I have not received any via US mail (except the aforementioned interview confirmation from JHU)

6 offers so far. applied to 20 total.

3 by mail: (all this week)
3 by email: (last 2 weeks)

does anyone have info regarding GWU, Georgetown, or Maryland in terms of strength of programs, teaching, training in general?

THANKS!

Umich is also the only one that hasn't downloaded mine too. Got an interview request from Iowa today by email.

My current dry spell has officially ended -- heard from Cornell today by email. It would be nice if they all replied in the same month, at least, so we could schedule our visits together geographically... but it seems that's not gonna happen for me. Oh, well -- this investment is minimal compared to the debt I've accumulated through four years of med school ;)

Today must have been a popular day to invite folks then - I didn't apply to Cornell, but got requests from Iowa like I said as well as Hopkins (both email). Iowa sent a lovely message including offers to pick up hotel , travel expenses. Do other programs do this as well? Very classy.

Darn, I should've applied to Iowa after all ;)
UNC and Penn both offered to pay for my hotel expenses, but no one's offered to pay for my flight.

We have not even started sending out invites yet. We usually don't do it until mid Oct.

I interviewed at Iowa and they really hooked me up. They paid for the hotel and mileage (I made $80 bucks on the trip!). Also, when I got to the hotel, they had a basket full of food in the room. I also went to dinner with the residents the night before. And besides all that, Iowa has a great program.

I recieved an e-mail today from a program telling me that my "application is on hold". What does that mean? I've e-mailed them back asking for an answer, but I just wanted to see if anyone here knew what that meant.

as for me, im STILL on a dry spell...stuck with the 3 rejections and nothing else...except this e-mail today.

cheers!

I'm still pulling for you rirriri. looking forward to hearing about those acceptances that will be coming.

It is still too early to panic. Don't worry.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how many applicants a program generally interviews? If I go by Hopkins who says they conduct interviews from october to January 9, and have 2 people per day, that comes out to, what, about 100? Sounds like too many. I don't think they would rank that many people.

I have already scheduled 6-7 interviews and already feel like my whole december is going to be full of traveling.

I
Freida shows the interview numbers for some of the programs.

has anyone heard from ut houston?
if so, by snail mail or email?

yaah,
I know what you mean. I've scheduled 7 as well, and I have 3 full weeks taken up by traveling. My original goal was to do 10, but I may not end up doing that many. I'll probably schedule 10 and cancel later ones if I'm too wiped out. Heard from Brigham today, which was a surprise. On the other hand, they interviewed 92 people last year for 11 spots, so I'm not reading too much into their interview offer :p

That's actually one of the lower interviewees:spots ratios among the places I applied to... Yale interviewed 72 for only 4 spots, Mass General 82 for 6 spots. So despite good luck so far in getting interview offers, I'm still cautious about assuming I'll get one of my top choices.

I know - those were interesting statistics to see. I also looked at a couple of random places I didn't apply to. Temple said they only interviewed 5 people! That's confidence!

I have not heard from the Brigham yet. Did you get anything from MGH yet? Kind of strange. Fields like radiology don't have many interview days at all before december, and go into February. I may be done by christmas. Interesting also because my school doesn't send out the Dean's letter until November.

Me so far: BI, UVM, Northwestern, Iowa, JHU, UPenn, UMass (unofficially). Plus Mayo told me they would ask me back after I did a month there in August. Had my choice of interview day at all.

Ready to fast forward to march and see where I end up!