interviews 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ann 03

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys
i hope a few poeple remember me :)
just finished my first quater at ucsf, very hectic , no time to breath at all.
i have some time off now.
i know tht a lot of people have questions abt interviews etc

i can answer any questions u guys have i went to a few interviews last year. i am currently in UCSF

Members don't see this ad.

hi,
Ann, how are you? Welll I applied this year to ucsf and I have no idea what they are looking in an apllicant to just get an interview call. Can you throw some light on this. Everyone says its all depends on your essay, how well it is written. But how can you judge your own essay. What do you think, does it really depends on essay. My scores are ndbe -1 -88. toefl- 253 and with gpa of 3.63. I graduated last year. So what do you think, do I have a chance to get an interview call. Please let me know.
Take care.
Komal.

hi
it wld be very great if u wld tell us regarding what and all to prepare for the written exam (particular topics) and also the practical exam at UCSF

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Ann03

Its really very sweet of u. just want to take this apportunity to thanks people like Meggs, rahmed, BDS-DMD and many more who always give a helping hand to everyone.

komal i think u r fine.
its ur overall C.V which is important, essay is a part of it.
nicely written, precise, ur intentions for coming to us and ur interest in dentistry in the first place and also ur acheivements till now are some points u can add in ur essay. well u can look at sample essays on the net . i am sure u will find some. but if u have already applied, dont worry abt the essay. just be ready to defend whtever you have written.
apart frm tht, i dont really know the criteria they use to call u for interview
part 1 scores and gpa helps quite a bit.

amy007 said:
hi
it wld be very great if u wld tell us regarding what and all to prepare for the written exam (particular topics) and also the practical exam at UCSF

thanks
written exam is basically like part2
read the decks. it will give u an overall idea abt the exam. generally in ucsf they give emphasis on prostho and perio. but other schools like ucla all topics are covered
just brush throu ur dental subjects u will be fine

hi ann,
hru? remember me?thanx a lot 4 ur effort to help us out...pls throw some light on prac. exam....wht do they expect out of us....how to prepare?
thanx take care.

hi
since i have been getting a lot ofpm's abt the interviews particularly ucsf, i thought i would writee abt the interview process.

i guess sept 30 is the last day forthe application forms right? i would advice u all u to call and email barbara as to whether they have received all ur application papers as well as the original ece eval ,toefl scores, and ndbe scores.

the interview process was a 5 day rhing last year. we were supposed to be at the school only for 3 days though. one day ,we had written exam and thn orientation during the afternoon session. written exam was lenghty, but it wasnt difficult. its like part2 exam. if u guys dont have time to study , atleast browse through the decks, importance to pros and perio. but last yr (if i remember correct other subjects were also given importance) dont be intimidated , all the questions were something u would have already dealt with in ur dental school or clinical practice. we had mcqs.
orientation- dr bird , dr kirkland and others come and talk to u abt the school financial aid etc
take down the info they give it might come handy.
dress code- dress formally but u dont have to wear a suit(upto u)
one day we had prac- we had class2 prep and filling on the maniq.
not bench top. thts wht we have been having for a long time now, but i would advice u to practice crowns-pbm,fvc etc .it will be useful for other practicals.
anyway , whn u get the interview call they will let u know wht they will ask.
get ur principles correct. like class2 u cant have diverging walls. outline form must be decent etc. noones looking for perfection , but the basics must be correct.dress code- casuals fine.
we had interviews for 3 days- u can get ur interview time anyday these 3 days
for the interview , just be urself. make sure u know wht u have written in ur essay, CV etcand also the questions u have submitted. ask thm questions abt the school any special interest u have etc. read the school website
know a little bit abt the school.
hope this helps. remember , this was last yrs interview. i am not sure wht will happen this yr.
so all the best
let me know if u have anyother questions.

Ann 03 said:
hi
since i have been getting a lot ofpm's abt the interviews particularly ucsf, i thought i would writee abt the interview process.

i guess sept 30 is the last day forthe application forms right? i would advice u all u to call and email barbara as to whether they have received all ur application papers as well as the original ece eval ,toefl scores, and ndbe scores.

the interview process was a 5 day rhing last year. we were supposed to be at the school only for 3 days though. one day ,we had written exam and thn orientation during the afternoon session. written exam was lenghty, but it wasnt difficult. its like part2 exam. if u guys dont have time to study , atleast browse through the decks, importance to pros and perio. but last yr (if i remember correct other subjects were also given importance) dont be intimidated , all the questions were something u would have already dealt with in ur dental school or clinical practice. we had mcqs.
orientation- dr bird , dr kirkland and others come and talk to u abt the school financial aid etc
not bench top. thts wht we have been having for a long time now, but i would advice u to practice crowns-pbm,fvc etc .it will be useful for other practicals.
get ur principles correct. like class2 u cant have diverging walls. outline form must be decent etc. noones looking for perfection , but the basics must be correct.dress code- casuals fine.
for the interview , just be urself. make sure u know wht u have written in ur essay, CV etcand also the questions u have submitted. ask thm questions abt the school any special interest u have etc. read the school website
hope this helps. remember , this was last yrs interview. i am not sure wht will happen this yr.
so all the best

Hello !!
Thanks for all of that info. I got an invitation for the interview and test. I'm so affraid, and confused . I don't know what to expect. You said that for the written test is basically Part 2 . THa's A LOT of material. I don't know what to study. Should I buy the decks? I ave all of the all exams and also Kaplan book and tests. I feel like I won't have time to review all of that. Any advise??>??????????????????
Thanks a lot for your time

hi ann,
can u throw some light on the UCLA interview pls?

balldan said:
hi ann,
can u throw some light on the UCLA interview pls?
hi ann

Its wonderful of you to be on SDN as soon as got some time . May god bless you.
If you could pls post a few sites for essay writing that would be GREAT !!!!!!!!
thanks All the best for your next term

shellac

Ann 03 said:
hi

so all the best

hi ann, i think ur inbox is full,,, i tried to pm u but bounced back saying u need to clear some old messages..i know u r busy but when time permits,,,pls check ur inbox.
bye.