duopy

2+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I've been blessed with lots of interviews this cycle. However, all the travelling is really cutting into my study time and it's greatly affecting my academic performance. Will all B's and C's this semester get a medical school acceptance rescinded? My cGPA is 3.85~ and I'm worried that a poor semester could destroy everything I've worked for.

USERX

Impossible is just an oppinion
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2012
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
Unless its a "high-end" school I don't think they will care after you get an acceptance unless you fail a class or get all Cs. They request final grades but I haven't heard of anyone who had their acceptance reversed. I'm interested to see what others say tho.

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Unless its a "high-end" school I don't think they will care after you get an acceptance unless you fail a class or get all Cs. They request final grades but I haven't heard of anyone who had their acceptance reversed. I'm interested to see what others say tho.
While completing academic work is needed to retain any acceptance, a more important concern would be maintaining superior academic work if you are one of the 60% who do not get in and become part of the 25% per cycle who have previously applied to medical school. Lets go thru these two scenarios

When you apply to any medical school you have agreed to adhere to all policies and requirements for applicants as they are detailed in student handbook, policy listed on website, submitted in any application, or noted in acceptance or matriculation agreement. Usually, this will include a phrase along the lines of "acceptee must successfully complete current academic work." That would usually mean a grade of C or better in all coursework and being awarded your degree if noted previously on your application. Now, if the med school has prereqs that require C+ or higher, they could reasonably say all coursework must be C+ or higher. Obviously, if you have outstanding prereqs, they must be complete according to the med school's requirements. All this requires formal evidence as in final transcripts and degree. So if you had to take a summer class that finishes a week before med school orientation but final transcript doesnt get there in time, you may be into a forced deferral. This is because schools get accredited in part on setting policies and adhering to them. If they frequently waive these requirements, they could get dinged in LCME re-accreditation audits.

Reapplication is the more important issue and the issue should be obvious. If you apply to medical school, go on several interviews that interfere with your class schedule, causing you to do poorly in the term, you then would be a reapplicant with lower than typical grades. Not a good position to be in.

About the Ads

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
Status
Non-Student
I do hope you have talked with all of your professors and made arrangements. Unless you're a real glassbowl, none of them will want to tank your GPA for that reason. So long as you talk to your professors in advance and ask pro-actively if you can do work early, reschedule exams, etc. -- never ask not to do things! -- I'd be very surprised if they wouldn't grant you some slack.

Also, if your class schedule is heavier than it needs to be, now might be a good time for a strategic W...

Reactions: USERX and Doctor-S

USERX

Impossible is just an oppinion
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2012
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
While completing academic work is needed to retain any acceptance, a more important concern would be maintaining superior academic work if you are one of the 60% who do not get in and become part of the 25% per cycle who have previously applied to medical school. Lets go thru these two scenarios

When you apply to any medical school you have agreed to adhere to all policies and requirements for applicants as they are detailed in student handbook, policy listed on website, submitted in any application, or noted in acceptance or matriculation agreement. Usually, this will include a phrase along the lines of "acceptee must successfully complete current academic work." That would usually mean a grade of C or better in all coursework and being awarded your degree if noted previously on your application. Now, if the med school has prereqs that require C+ or higher, they could reasonably say all coursework must be C+ or higher. Obviously, if you have outstanding prereqs, they must be complete according to the med school's requirements. All this requires formal evidence as in final transcripts and degree. So if you had to take a summer class that finishes a week before med school orientation but final transcript doesnt get there in time, you may be into a forced deferral. This is because schools get accredited in part on setting policies and adhering to them. If they frequently waive these requirements, they could get dinged in LCME re-accreditation audits.

Reapplication is the more important issue and the issue should be obvious. If you apply to medical school, go on several interviews that interfere with your class schedule, causing you to do poorly in the term, you then would be a reapplicant with lower than typical grades. Not a good position to be in.
The OP was talking about acceptances getting revoked. Yes you have to complete the coursework but unless you do really bad in all classes in both semesters you should be fine. Just do your best now. Focus on getting great interviews in. You don't want to be a reapplicant, especially with a lower GPA.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
The OP was talking about acceptances getting revoked. Yes you have to complete the coursework but unless you do really bad in all classes in both semesters you should be fine. Just do your best now. Focus on getting great interviews in. You don't want to be a reapplicant, especially with a lower GPA.
Which is what I answered. The acceptee will be required to successfully complete any academic work , which may mean C or higher in each course, as well as complete any planned degree. A school will require final transcript and can rescind an acceptance if acceptee has not reached what the medical school defines as successful.

OP
D

duopy

2+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks guys! I think I can make all C's this semester so there is hope.

Oct 13, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
@gonnif What do you think about the fact that 25/60=42% reapply after rejection (meaning 58% don't)?

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
@gonnif What do you think about the fact that 25/60=42% reapply after rejection (meaning 58% don't)?

Just to get some numbers to this: Currently some 16,000-17,000 people do not reapply by a very ball park figure. Reapplications can be from various previous cycles so this number non reapply number is likely higher so lets use 18,000 for the example (note: in AAMC charts, reapplication means an applicant who applied to to any school in any previous cycle. This is different than how the term is used for an individual applicant at an individual school)

Some went to DO and some went off-shore and likely the same applicant pool provided most of DPM (podiatry). There is surprisingly little overlap of applicant pool in PA/NP and MD/DO. Some may have gone into other academic pursuits to enhance medical school chances and either didnt finish that or simply stayed in that area. Obviously with the work of say redoing an MCAT, reapplying AMCAS and the cost, or getting PB/SMP didnt do so or didnt complete it.

While success of individuals across MD and DO could be tracked an analyzed via AMCAS MCAT ID, it isnt done so across the systems. TMDSAS success is tracked within AAMC stats as all the schools are members. This 2012 survey for DO applicants is rather skewed in generalized results (about 25% responded) as compared with the MD matriculant survey (where over 50% responded). Here 3200 responded and 2400 got accepted somewhere, which clearly indicates the successful DO applicants replied I would imagine that both successful MD matriculants and those who had no DO success would be less likely to respond. In 2016, there were about 20,700 DO applicants and about 6800 matriculants. A very crude extrapolation from the below would say 75% applied to both MD/DO and likely over 50% of the total but less than 75% got accepted to DO while rejected by US MD. So that is anywhere from 3000-3600 from last cycle who were rejected from US MD but got into DO

In 2016, there were 7300 US-IMGs applying to residency. Assuming an attrition and/or other failure rate of 30%, that would be 10,000 US Citizens went to off shore schools. Presumably a large percent had applied to US MD schools and didnt get in, as a complete guesstimate 75% or 7500.

Podiatry is rather small with 1200 applying and 500-600 enrolling. at least half of enrollees likely applied to MD at some point, so 300.

These numbers would account for 11,000 at least of the 18,000, likely more, so lets say 12,000. I can easily see 1/4- 1/3 of the rejected applicants just dropping out from the task of either PB/SMP, redoing MCAT or simply redoing AMCAS. And some go on to other pursuits, especially research. That more or less accounts for all of them

www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/archive-data-and-trends/2012-apps-to-us-and-offshore.pdf?sfvrsn=14#page=4
upload_2017-9-15_7-56-18.png

About the Ads