interviews and missing school

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by glamqueen, May 3, 2007.

1. glamqueen

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So how does interviewing work? Don't you have to miss class, and what if your professors frown on that?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 146233

146233 Phthirius pubis

Medical Student
    Sometimes you can work with schools to schedule a date that does not require you to miss class. A lot of times you cannot. Many schools do their interviewing on a very set schedule (i.e., "Wednesdays") and don't have room to accommodate everyone.

In the end, it's a personal decision. None of the professors at my school would give me a hard time about interviewing for medical school. If you would have to miss a scheduled exam, work with your professor. Failing that, you could appeal to the medical school, but you run the risk of being dropped into a later batch of interviewees or just being placed on a hold.

Go talk to your professor. They'll be reasonable. If they're not, there's always the department chairperson!

-z

4. smq123

smq123 John William Waterhouse
    Administrator Physician SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If it's a big class, where they don't take attendance, just skip it.

If it's a small class, and your absence will be readily noticeable, talk to the professor in advance. Most are usually really sympathetic about students who need to go to a job interview or a grad school interview. Just try not to do it several consecutive weeks in a row.

At least you're not a non-trad - I imagine that it's harder to get off work to go to multiple interviews.

5. glamqueen

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I actually am a nontrad taking the science classes I need, so I'm not working now (thank God I have a husband). It's good to know professors are understanding, because I was hoping the egos I sometimes see wouldn't get in the way of attending an interview...

6. geogil

geogil Still training.
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    getting into medical school trumps missing class. You can't really get out of missing class b/c no interview is on the weekend. Just talk to teh prof if you think he'll notice/care.