SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

interviews and missing school

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by glamqueen, May 3, 2007.

1. glamqueen

glamqueen 5+ Year Member

Apr 30, 2007
    So how does interviewing work? Don't you have to miss class, and what if your professors frown on that?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. 146233

146233 Phthirius pubis

Apr 12, 2007
    Sometimes you can work with schools to schedule a date that does not require you to miss class. A lot of times you cannot. Many schools do their interviewing on a very set schedule (i.e., "Wednesdays") and don't have room to accommodate everyone.

In the end, it's a personal decision. None of the professors at my school would give me a hard time about interviewing for medical school. If you would have to miss a scheduled exam, work with your professor. Failing that, you could appeal to the medical school, but you run the risk of being dropped into a later batch of interviewees or just being placed on a hold.

Go talk to your professor. They'll be reasonable. If they're not, there's always the department chairperson!

-z

4. smq123

smq123 John William Waterhouse Administrator Physician SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Jan 9, 2006
    If it's a big class, where they don't take attendance, just skip it.

If it's a small class, and your absence will be readily noticeable, talk to the professor in advance. Most are usually really sympathetic about students who need to go to a job interview or a grad school interview. Just try not to do it several consecutive weeks in a row.

At least you're not a non-trad - I imagine that it's harder to get off work to go to multiple interviews.

5. glamqueen

glamqueen 5+ Year Member

Apr 30, 2007
    I actually am a nontrad taking the science classes I need, so I'm not working now (thank God I have a husband). It's good to know professors are understanding, because I was hoping the egos I sometimes see wouldn't get in the way of attending an interview...

6. geogil

geogil Still training. 7+ Year Member

May 1, 2006
    getting into medical school trumps missing class. You can't really get out of missing class b/c no interview is on the weekend. Just talk to teh prof if you think he'll notice/care.