Interviews at PCOM or AZCOM YET????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

einey

20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Good Question Einey!
I am also very interested if anyone has received an interview (especially at PCOM).... :D

From what I've heard...

PCOM isn't going to start interviewing until around mid-September. They usually give about 2 weeks of notice. So I wouldn't expect interviews yet. I think they are probably still busy getting ready to start the class of 2006.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm...

That depends. For me... 7 months. ;-) Nope, I'm not kidding.
But the usual is 4 to 6 weeks, assuming you will be interviewed. The strongest candidates are interviewed first. In my case, I had a number of errors from ACOMAS that went unchecked for awhile.

I got my AZOM interview today. It took around a month since I sent out the secondary. The first interview slot is 20th of Sept.

osteopeddoc,

:clap: CONGRATULATIONS!!! :clap:

:D SpUnKy

CONGRATS OSTEOPEDDOC!!!! YOU'RE WELL ON YOUR WAY.

DO YOU PLAN TO ATTEND ALL THESE INTERVIEWS IF YOU GET MANY OTHERS?

;)

CURIOUS WHAT DATE YOU PLAN TO ATTEND, I WILL BE THERE ON A MONDAY OR FRIDAY FOR SURE SINCE I'M FLYING FROM PA. MAYBE WE'LL BE THERE TOGETHER!!!!

The sun :) seems to shine upon you, Osteopeddoc. I would like to congratulate you on another interview at AZCOM with this joke:

Once I was sick and I had to go to an ear, nose, and throat man to get well. There are ear doctors, nose doctors, throat doctors, gynecologists, proctologists-any place you've got a hole, there's a guy who specializes in your hole. They make an entire career out of that hole. And if the ear doctor, nose doctor, throat doctor, gynecologist, or proctologist can't help you, he sends you to a surgeon. Why? So he can make a new hole!!!

Have fun and see you in DMU...

I just got interview invitation from AZCOM. I sent out my secondary application on Jul 23rd which was completed 1 week after. It is sooner than I think, and I am so excited because I love osteopathic medicine so much just like most of you here.

:)

Einey,

You'll be fine, hang in there... I learned a useful lesson from my friend that never give up!!!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.;) :) :)

HEY EINEY!

thanks a lot. let me know when you hear from AZCOM. just now set up my interview for sept 20! yay! can't wait.

no, i have not heard from PCOM, but i keep calling them and they have not started looking at 2003 applicants (as of 3 days ago at least), but i do expect to hear from the in the next 2-4 weeks i think.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE! :p

Hi, tigerlily

I can't believe I will see you a...again on Friday Sept. 20 in AZCOM. I feel like Archimedes just being naked and run around...hi...hi...

Take it easy,

Looserdude.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Congrats to tiger and looser as well. Yes, I am planning to go to all interview I receive at this point. I think if a school impresses me, and I get an acceptance, I might reconsider. I applied to 9. I will be happy if I get 9 interviews, even if its going to be costly!! At this point, I can't be choosy just yet. Good luck!

hey osteopeddoc, tigerlily, and looserdude!
Looks like we're all going to interview on the same day: Sept. 20th. Do any of you guys and gals plan to check out Glendale/Pheonix that weekend after the interview? I've been thinking about it. Anyone in?

Good morning, Avonlea

Fantastic idea... I am in! I am neither pure guy nor girl but "optically inactive racemic mixture". Just kidding! :laugh:
Can you drink tec...ki...la or hen...net...si? Can we all go to Las Vegas for some cash first? Then can we go to dance club in downtown Phoenix to loose some fat? This reminds me of a joke:
Anna Nicole Smith: "How can I lose twelve lbs of ugly fat?"
Dr. Hustable: "Well, just cut your head off"

Yaaa...yaaa...
See you very soon,

Looserdude.

:cool: :oops: :cool:

hey Avonlea, osteopeddoc, and looserdude!

Sept. 20th must be the popular day to interview!!! is this the first day to interview?? and yeah, i'm staying in the area from thurs sept 19-sun sept 22, got my plant tix the other day. i'm flying all the way from PA, so i want to make sure i see the area and have a good idea about the school in case i need to make a choice later (if i have options to choose from, that is)!!! i'm excited, AZCOM is surely one of my top choices and the area is supposed to be phenomenal (a cousin of mine from pittsburgh, PA used to live there and said it's amazing!!)

i'm staying in the Holiday Inn Express too i think, what about everyone else? it was cheap and i need to save money wherever possible.

any idea what the interview will be like?

what percent of interviewing students AZCOM accepts?

any info will be greatly appreciated. thanks to everyone, i don't know what i'd do without SDN!!!

are the rest of you coming from far away too?

BEST WISHES TO ALL!!! :)

Hi, Tigerlily

If I am lucky to get "the friendly smile" :) from DMU and AZCOM, it would be a win-win situation because from what I heard, DMU and AZCOM are both fantastic schools in it's own right. I didn't hear any thing bad but wonderful comments regarding them. There are so much fun thing to do in Phoenix; plus, Los Angeles and Las Vegas are only 4-5 hours drive away. I've also heard there are a lot of hot Asian chicks there :cool: I also like DMU much for it's lower tuition, affordable cost of living, and a lot of cool bars + restaurants. I know it's too early to decide just yet; but man, I am confused...:confused: I can't wait to see you guys (Oh...Yeah...Our Future Great Physicians!) in person in few weeks. I imagine these would be some of my most memorable things in my college years...

Take care,

Looserdude.

I just wanted to give you guys a heads up about the interview at AZCOM. I'll be starting there if a few weeks. First of all, AZCOM is very impressive. It is a nice new school in a newer part of Phoenix. Everyone that I have dealt with is very nice, and you don't feel like number. The interview is really laid back and personal, so don't stress. The interviewers do not have your academic porfolio in front of them, so you won't be drilled on grades. I was asked real general "get to know you" questions as well as a few ethical ones. Some of the questions I was asked was "If you could invite three people to dinner who would they be? (several people were also asked what would they serve), why osteopathic medicine, why AZCOM, What will be my biggest challenge as a DO, What would I do if I had trouble academically while in school, and what field do I want to practice. My ethics question was "Describe an ethical challenge that I may face as a future physician".

If you get a chance, I would check out the area around ASU in Tempe. It is really cool. The only thing is that rental car fees are really high in Phoenix. My brother lives there so I used him as a taxi, but other interviewers talked about it. I hope this has helped. Good luck.

I'll be starting class in a few weeks, not if a few weeks.

Hi, Jrich15

I thank you a ton for your help; we should order a hugh pizza for you when we get to AZCOM!!!:) :) :) ...:) :) :)

To Avonlea, Osteopeddoc, and Tigerlily:

Do you guys and gals have any other interviews? I have good news and bad news already:

When I came into the office for the results of some medical tests, the doctor told me I had some good news and some bad news. I asked for the good news first.
"Your pe...is (he seems to be choking) is going to grow two inches in length and an inch in circumference."
"That's terrific, " I exclaimed, breaking into a big smile. "so what could be bad?"
The doctor answered, "Malignant." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Enjoy as much as we can before med. school starts, shall we?

Your friend,

Looserdude.

hey looserdude, and everyone else! i can't wait to see all you guys at AZCOM, and some at dmu...it's gonna be great to meet you all in person and put a face to these crazy titles we have ('tigerlilly, one of my favorite flowers, you must know i'm female by that,,haha). soon enough we will be in the middle of interviews, and then the start of a lifelong education, friendships, and career. yay!

glad to hear dmu and azcom have such good reputations, i was actually very excited to hear from both of them, for many of the same reasons as you (looserdude),,,gorgious area near pheonix and des moines tuition and layed back area. i sure hope i get the chance to struggle in deciding which school to ultimately choose, rather than only having 1 or no schools to choose from. needless to say, i'm already getting confused b/c i like everywhere so far! i plan to go more by the feeling i get at a school rather than money, reputation, or anything else, although those factors will all surely come into play.

i have not heard from anywhere else, other than TUCOM, which was the first place i heard from. i'm getting nervous why the other schools are taking so long.

has anyone else heard from any other schools??

:clap: I got my interview at AZCOM today. It is the first and hopefully not the last, but it felt soooo goooood. Thinking about doing my interview on the 25th. Hope to see some of you all there.

Sent out my secondary on the 31 of July

Wow, congrats to all with interviews already! That's great!

How did you all hear from AZCOM for an interview? Was it a phone call, email, or snailmail?

I just got the postcard yesterday from AZCOM saying that my file was complete. How long after that did you guys hear from them?

Never mind about the previous post. I just got the mail and I got my first interview at AZCOM! I am so happy about that because I have heard such great things about the school. I will probably get to meet you all there!

It's funny, I just got the postcard from them saying my app was complete yesterday and then I got the interview today. They sure move fast. :)

Good luck to all of you!

Originally posted by NUgirl

Just like you said "I have heard such great things about the school". I never forget that miracles do happen.

Have fun and enjoy life because I hear that many people forget to brush their teeth before classes due to medical school's stress. :D

Congrats to Nugirl and Mire.

I am excited for you girls.

:cool:

I just scheduled the interview Sept 20th, so I guess we'll all meet then! Do you guys know how many people they interview in one day? Where are all of you planning on staying?

Thanks einey!

Congrats on TUCOM! I hope you get an interview at AZCOM soon! :)

Every thin envelope I get from a school I immediateyl think is a rejection - a phobia from last year.

Anyone know when LECOM is interviewing? They called me on the phone and said they'd be sending interview stuff out last week, and I haven't heard from 'em yet, but I do remember their interviews being in late September also. I don't want to commit to one interview date and miss out on another. If possible, maybe I can take the week off from work if I can schedule on the same week.

Yeah, maybe pigs will fly too. Heh.

Congrats on everyone who's received an interview invite. I'm sure there others to follow for everyone else as well!

- Tae

Congratulations Einey on your second interview!

It's too bad you couldn't schedule on the 20th for AZCOM. It would have been fun to meet in person. But maybe we'll meet at another interview in the future. ;)

What other schools are you waiting for?

I'm still waiting for: CCOM (1st choice), PCOM, NOVA, NYCOM, UHS, and UNECOM.

Hi Einey,

My secondary for PCOM went out around Aug 5th or so. I just got a letter from them today saying they received my secondary and the $50. Have you gotten that yet?

Congrats Nu girl and Einey!
I know how you feel about the thin paper thing- I feel the same way; but the good thing is that I think its too early in the process to be getting rejected just yet! I applied 9 schools total.
BTW, have u guys been shopping for the suit for interview yet? I don't really own any, so I went shopping and got one today. A little pricey, but I guess its nice. What types/colors are good? Have you started rehearsing the interview?? I need to start practicing and preparing

I am so happy i don't have to go through this again:)
I was accepted to AZCOM for 2006 but my wife just had triplets so i deferred this year. The school has been awesome about it!!! they are very understanding and supportive of the tough decision. Best of luck to you in the interviewing. Take it as a very good sign that you are all interviewing so early in the application cycle. As far as AZCOM goes, review your application. i took mine to look over and it really started to build my confidence looking at all i had accomplished, plus quite a few ?'s came straight from the application. What books have i read lately, what instruments i like to play, how i knew those who wrote my letters of rec. The school just "felt" right. Everything about it i liked and just sat right with me. The interview was very comfortable and fluid. If you have any specific ?'s let me know-- go get em!!!

Originally posted by osteopeddoc

BTW, have u guys been shopping for the suit for interview yet? I don't really own any, so I went shopping and got one today. A little pricey, but I guess its nice. What types/colors are good? Have you started rehearsing the interview?? I need to start practicing and preparing

Conservative is the way to dress. A navy blue blazer and tan slacks, or dark grey suit. No zoot suits, purple velour or powder blue tuxes!

If you plan on doing a multi-city interview gig, then a navy blue blazer and tan and grey slacks will help stretch out the choices.

Try to pack as carefully as possible so as not to wrinkle the suit, but don't freak too much about it - it will wrinkle. As soon as you get to the hotel, take out the suit and hang it up. If you have the time to get it pressed, do so. If you don't, then what worked for me was to turn the shower on full blast on hot to build up the steam, then hang the suit in the bathroom for 5-10 mins to steam out the wrinkles. Worked like a charm.

- Tae

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS. I GOT A BLACK PANTS SUIT, WITH WHITE VERTICAL LINES. I WASN'T SURE IF IT WAS TOO SNAZZY OR NOT. IT WAS BETWEEN THAT AND A DARK BLUE OR GREY SUIT..WHATS A ZOOT SUIT ANYWAYS?

Originally posted by osteopeddoc
THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS. I GOT A BLACK PANTS SUIT, WITH WHITE VERTICAL LINES. I WASN'T SURE IF IT WAS TOO SNAZZY OR NOT. IT WAS BETWEEN THAT AND A DARK BLUE OR GREY SUIT..WHATS A ZOOT SUIT ANYWAYS?

Pants suit?! Ah, female.

Nevermind then.

Zoot suit - think wide lapels, long watch chains, wing-tip shoes and fedoras.

- Tae