Biostats.moore

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2006
Status
For some of us who will most likely have late interviews that will conflict with schools...what days are interviews most likely to happen? I'd like to arrange it so they really don't overlap too much.

defrunner

I'm Greased Up
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Biostats.moore said:
For some of us who will most likely have late interviews that will conflict with schools...what days are interviews most likely to happen? I'd like to arrange it so they really don't overlap too much.
Somehow, I'd think your professors would understand if you had to miss the occasional class to interview for med school. Having a physician as an alumni of your institution is more important than one dinky little class in the grand scheme of things. From what I know, if med schools decide to interview you, they ask when you are free, so you have some flexibility in your scheduling (i.e. don't interview if you have a test on that day). They're not complete jackasses about interviewing and won't be like, "Hey, you have to come in at 9:30 AM on 12/16/06 or you won't get considered for acceptance." They'll give you a window of time. Again, that's just what I know; I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

OP
B

Biostats.moore

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2006
Status
It's mainly because I have a lab on wed. night...and these are usually hard to miss.

About the Ads

Avenue Q

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2004
Status
Most schools will have you call or sign up for an interview on a website, and you will have a choice of dates. I would often choose my top 5 or so dates before I called and have them ready when they asked me what I wanted, or when they proposed a date I didn't want.

Other schools will give you the date in their interview invitation, and you have to call to change it (and sometimes they are less helpful than others).

Most schools interview most week days, but there are a couple that only interview on specific dates.

I found it was really useful to have an open date in my class schedule, (friday) and most of my interviews were on that day, or the day before it (when i only had to miss 1 class). Of course, there are times when it doesn't work out, like when schools only do interviews on wednesdays, and I did miss a lot of classes but I always told professors and even spoke with my class dean to make sure that if there were any problems that came up, it was already cleared with her (she even changed a bunch of my due dates when in 4 weeks I had 6 interviews and was off campus more than I was on).

It will be fine, don't worry about it. my fall semester wasn't my easiest semester ever - it was really stressful with school and interviews, but by thanksgiving I had gotten in somewhere, so it made it a lot better! :)

Robizzle

1K Member
10+ Year Member
May 28, 2006
Boston & NYC
Status
Medical Student
Although i'm sure people do it differently.. how often does one usually stay in a certain city to interview? I know lots of people will arrive the night before and stay at a hotel for the night, interview the next day, but then what? Do people usually book the flight for a couple hours after their interview?

That new thread that Looque started makes it sound as if people stay for over 2 days =)

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
a lot of people at my MCW interview had their flight scheduled for ~3 hours after the interviews ended. MCW had a shuttle back to the airport. I drove to all mine (all were <2 hours away), so it wasn't an issue.

TCIrish03

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 14, 2006
Status
Non-Student
I would hope professors are pretty lenient WRT interviews (both school and job). At least they were for the seniors where I went to college.

defrunner

I'm Greased Up
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I plan on staying over the day of my interviews and hitting up the local bars after them. It's stupid to me to go and visit a city or place where a school is and not enjoy the nightlife. Unless you're premedmachine, we all need a break from time to time, and dammit, I'll be living it up on my break.

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
Alabama
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What about people interviewing across the country? I live in Alabama and if I get an interview in say New York somewhere that is going to be a whole ordeal. It isn't like driving to Georgia for the day.

So how many days is the most anyone has missed in a row? Has anyone had sucess interviewing at numerous schools in the same region at around the same time? I am considering applying to around 7 New York schools, but if I had interviews from all those schools spread out over different times, there is no way I could afford go to more than 2 of them.

About the Ads