Interviews in SF Bay Area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilkiwi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you were to drop one of the following interviews, which would it be and why?

-Kaiser SF
-Kaiser Oakland
-Alameda County/Highland Hospital
-CPMC
-St. Mary's

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

If you were to drop one of the following interviews, which would it be and why?

-Kaiser SF
-Kaiser Oakland
-Alameda County/Highland Hospital
-CPMC
-St. Mary's

Thanks for any input.

Either KO or Alameda/Highland.

Definitely not CPMC. That place is awesome, good training and great fellowship prospects if that's how you roll.

SF is the better regarded of the two Bay Area Kaiser programs and St. Mary's has a pretty good rep as well.

If you were going to do EM instead of IM, I'd put Highland at the top of the list but for IM it's kind of a scutty county program. Good pathology to be sure but you will get that just about anywhere in the Bay Area (same as NYC or Chicago...crazy stuff shows up everywhere in those towns).

Either KO or Alameda/Highland.

Definitely not CPMC. That place is awesome, good training and great fellowship prospects if that's how you roll.

SF is the better regarded of the two Bay Area Kaiser programs and St. Mary's has a pretty good rep as well.

If you were going to do EM instead of IM, I'd put Highland at the top of the list but for IM it's kind of a scutty county program. Good pathology to be sure but you will get that just about anywhere in the Bay Area (same as NYC or Chicago...crazy stuff shows up everywhere in those towns).

Gutonc, could you elaborate a little on the Kaiser programs? What makes Kaiser SF better than Oakland. And what about Kaiser Santa Clara.

Also, any thoughts on CPMC vs. Santa Clara Valley?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Gutonc, could you elaborate a little on the Kaiser programs? What makes Kaiser SF better than Oakland. And what about Kaiser Santa Clara.

Also, any thoughts on CPMC vs. Santa Clara Valley?

Thank you!

I didn't even know there was a Kaiser Santa Clara.

CPMC>SCVMC but SCVMC is probably better than all the other programs in that list.

I would drop Alameda for sure. CPMC better than SCVMC IMHO>>better fellowship options for CPMC grads and you will have a life outside residency!

SCVMC keeps losing residents apparently - not sure why>>>more work for those that remain there obviously. K-SC invites 290 apps for its 16 spots, Alameda invites 500 for its 29 spots, SCVMC invites 350 for 28 spots and CPMC invites 364 for 28 spots! Nuts!!

K-Oakland more reasonable 150 apps for 17 spots.

I would drop Alameda for sure. CPMC better than SCVMC IMHO>>better fellowship options for CPMC grads and you will have a life outside residency!

SCVMC keeps losing residents apparently - not sure why>>>more work for those that remain there obviously. K-SC invites 290 apps for its 16 spots, Alameda invites 500 for its 29 spots, SCVMC invites 350 for 28 spots and CPMC invites 364 for 28 spots! Nuts!!

K-Oakland more reasonable 150 apps for 17 spots.

where you get this info? o_O
also is this the # of invites going out or # of applicants actually accepting and coming in for an interview?

probably still not too representative of competitiveness tho, less competitive program may have to go down further on their rank list to fill spots, and hence might be inclined to interview more people because of this... wild guess tho :|

where you get this info? o_O
also is this the # of invites going out or # of applicants actually accepting and coming in for an interview?

probably still not too representative of competitiveness tho, less competitive program may have to go down further on their rank list to fill spots, and hence might be inclined to interview more people because of this... wild guess tho :|

I believe that info is on the frieda website...after you search for a program, you click on the name and go to the general information tab. It lists the number of interviews for first year spots offered the year before.

And you could be right, perhaps a less competitive program needs to interview more candidates? Or it could be because the program can afford to have more interview dates.

Any thoughts?

I believe that info is on the frieda website...after you search for a program, you click on the name and go to the general information tab. It lists the number of interviews for first year spots offered the year before.

And you could be right, perhaps a less competitive program needs to interview more candidates? Or it could be because the program can afford to have more interview dates.

Any thoughts?

Frieda.

When they interview so many people chances are there would be many people who might rank the program and more chances that they will fill all their spots in the match? This may make them more competitive.

Anyone else with insight into this?

Frieda.

When they interview so many people chances are there would be many people who might rank the program and more chances that they will fill all their spots in the match? This may make them more competitive.

Anyone else with insight into this?

this does not necessarily make them more competitive, for instance if a program has to go down to their rank 90-100 to fill 10 spots, then they have to interview at least 100 people in order to fill.

if your a big name program, say JHU, you may only have to go down to rank 10-20 to fill your 10 spots because at least half of the people in your rank 1-20 will choose you. in this case, the program doesn't need to interview as many people to fill, and might not be inclined to interview so many.

but of course the more candidates a prog interviews, the more choices they have when they make their own rank list.

this does not necessarily make them more competitive, for instance if a program has to go down to their rank 90-100 to fill 10 spots, then they have to interview at least 100 people in order to fill.

if your a big name program, say JHU, you may only have to go down to rank 10-20 to fill your 10 spots because at least half of the people in your rank 1-20 will choose you. in this case, the program doesn't need to interview as many people to fill, and might not be inclined to interview so many.

but of course the more candidates a prog interviews, the more choices they have when they make their own rank list.

Agreed. But when a program interviews 300-500 candidates like some of the programs in SF bay area, not sure how they decide their rank order?! Unfortunately NRMP does not release data about the rank lists of programs such as how many apps they ranked.

at my interview today, i saw my person writing on a scoring sheet. a few categories graded x out of 15 points... guess they can use that as a numerical scale for ranking purposes...

at my interview today, i saw my person writing on a scoring sheet. a few categories graded x out of 15 points... guess they can use that as a numerical scale for ranking purposes...

Yea, that's one way to do it and they prolly use it along with your entire app (creds, research) to decide where to rank you. BTW, was your interview in the SF bay area?

Yea, that's one way to do it and they prolly use it along with your entire app (creds, research) to decide where to rank you. BTW, was your interview in the SF bay area?

it was in SF