Interviews in the time of COVID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1077405

Do you think it's possible to match with 3 interviews this year?

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
The reason no one's answered your question is because it is so non-specific. Why only 3 interviews? We can't even post the NRMP match data because we don't know what field. The answer as you know is yes. You only need 1 to match, but obviously it's not a great chance. No one can say anything past that until you expand more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
You answered. Unless you are implying you are "no one"?

Anyway, your post only contains one question, "why only 3 interviews?". I'm not the one who decides how many interviews I receive. I would have preferred to have more interviews. That is why I am asking about my chances to match with only 3 interviews.

• Dislike
  • Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you just look up the NRMP match data? Assuming you are smart enough to have already looked at the data and answered your own question you are most likely looking for speculation or advisement. Neither of which is possible without more background information.

Anyway, your post only contains one question, "why only 3 interviews?". I'm not the one who decides how many interviews I receive. I would have preferred to have more interviews. That is why I am asking about my chances to match with only 3 interviews.
Strange response to someone offering advice. But alas. As he mentioned yes it's possible to match. But it would be wise to look at the NRMP match data for the speciality you're applying to. What speciality are you applying to? Do you have any major red flags such as course failures/board failures. Do you think your LORs are strong? Or better yet, do you have any reason to doubt your letters of rec? How many programs did you apply to? In what region are most of these programs?

Reactions: 4 users

Somewhat humored that you felt the need to diss me for trying to help, however, I can see how that (bolded) comes across as accusatory/judgmental and you're probably already frustrated so I apologize. I understand this is an unprecedented cycle and you can't control how many interviews are given to you. I meant the bolded as an open ended question that I hoped would lead to questions that would allow us to prognosticate:

-what field?
-what do you think are weaknesses on your application?
-what do you think are your red flags? if any?

Regardless, your chances are effectively a coin-flip so I think the more important question to ask is why you only had 3 interviews and what you need start thinking about as your next steps if you don't match? SOAP? Reapplication the following year? What are you doing to do to make yourself more competitive the following year? Etc. Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Why don't you just look up the NRMP match data?

Because that is historical data and doesn't tell me the answer to my question.

12jas: Assuming you are smart enough to have already looked at the data and answered your own question you are most likely looking for speculation or advisement.

I don't have the answer to my question. It isn't a question I can answer myself. I'm not interested in speculation. Advice is always appreciated, though.

12jas: Neither of which is possible without more background information.

I was asking you to use your intuition. I'm not interested in disclosing personal information on the internet.

Strange response to someone offering advice.

That's an insult. Perhaps you are the strange one.

Espresso: But alas. As he mentioned yes it's possible to match.

You could have just said that.

Espresso: But it would be wise to look at the NRMP match data for the speciality you're applying to.

I've looked at it. That's historical data. I'm interested in my chances, specifically.

Espresso: What speciality are you applying to?

I'm not interested in disclosing personal information on the internet.

Espresso: Do you have any major red flags such as course failures/board failures.

No.

Espresso: Do you think your LORs are strong?

Yes.

Espresso: Or better yet, do you have any reason to doubt your letters of rec?

No.

Espresso: How many programs did you apply to?

Many.

Espresso: In what region are most of these programs?

I applied broadly.

• Haha
  • Hmm
Somewhat humored that you felt the need to diss me for trying to help, however, I can see how that (bolded) comes across as accusatory/judgmental and you're probably already frustrated so I apologize. I understand this is an unprecedented cycle and you can't control how many interviews are given to you. I meant the bolded as an open ended question that I hoped would lead to questions that would allow us to prognosticate:

-what field?
-what do you think are weaknesses on your application?
-what do you think are your red flags? if any?

Regardless, your chances are effectively a coin-flip so I think the more important question to ask is why you only had 3 interviews and what you need start thinking about as your next steps if you don't match? SOAP? Reapplication the following year? What are you doing to do to make yourself more competitive the following year? Etc. Best of luck!

I appreciate the change in tone. We could get into a discussion of what we said, and why, if for some reason you really prefer. Anyway, I think my question has been answered. If I don't match, SOAP would be my backup plan. If SOAP doesn't work out, then re-evaluate in late March.

Reactions: 1 user
It's one year old. You are something else. The way you are reacting to people on this forum leads me to believe you may have some red flags in your letter of recs or dean's letter. Are you an FMG? Your responses sound like English is your second language?

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's one year old. You are something else. The way you are reacting to people on this forum leads me to believe you may have some red flags in your letter of recs or dean's letter. Are you an FMG? Your responses sound like English is your second language?

You are very argumentative. Stop digging for personal information. Why don't you examine your own posts. For example, "Your responses sound like English is your second language?" is an ungrammatical/awkward construction. Anyway, I have no concerns about my dean's letter or LORs.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dislike
That's an insult. Perhaps you are the strange one.

Espresso: But alas. As he mentioned yes it's possible to match.

You could have just said that.

Espresso: But it would be wise to look at the NRMP match data for the speciality you're applying to.

I've looked at it. That's historical data. I'm interested in my chances, specifically.

Espresso: What speciality are you applying to?

I'm not interested in disclosing personal information on the internet.

Espresso: Do you have any major red flags such as course failures/board failures.

No.

Espresso: Do you think your LORs are strong?

Yes.

Espresso: Or better yet, do you have any reason to doubt your letters of rec?

No.

Espresso: How many programs did you apply to?

Many.

Espresso: In what region are most of these programs?

I applied broadly.
I hope you understand that these responses really don't help the users in this forum offer the best possible advice. How many programs did you apply to? Many is the answer. Okay but many is very different to different people. And many also differs between specialties. Many urology programs is very different than many internal medicine programs. Broadly is also subjective. As for the NRMP, that's really the gold standard for applicants to use as a reference point. In our case this cycle the data is a year old as the other poster mentioned. Clearly this year is different with covid but that's the best we have.

By the way, I said the response was strange. Which isn't an insult. I didn't say you were strange, as you said back to me.

I hope you understand that these responses really don't help the users in this forum offer the best possible advice. How many programs did you apply to? Many is the answer. Okay but many is very different to different people. And many also differs between specialties. Many urology programs is very different than many internal medicine programs. Broadly is also subjective. As for the NRMP, that's really the gold standard for applicants to use as a reference point. In our case this cycle the data is a year old as the other poster mentioned. Clearly this year is different with covid but that's the best we have.

By the way, I said the response was strange. Which isn't an insult. I didn't say you were strange, as you said back to me.
Many relative to the specialty. Broadly as it would be generally understood. Calling someone's response strange is an insult to the person who says it, and you didn't explain what you thought was strange about it. Furthermore, while you called my response strange, I only said that perhaps you are strange. But who cares? It says more about you than me that you wanted to label my response as strange. I think I've received my answer, which actually doesn't require me posting personal information here, nor does it involve looking at historical data. Data can guide us but each person, and patient, is an individual with their own situation. I meant to suggest to use intuition.

As in...if you initially applied a competitive surgical subspecialty, would you be okay SOAPing into a Surg prelim/FM/IM, or would you want to hold out hope that your surg subspecialty has an opening in SOAP or would you want to delay graduation?

Overall, I think you should hope for the best (that’ll you match into one of the 3 places you interviewed at), but prepare for the worst (I.e, SOAP or delay graduation). Given that you do not want to disclose specific information online, it may be best for you to speak with your medical school’s staff or your home program’s PD for specific advise on how to SOAP.

Do you think your LORs are strong? Or better yet, do you have any reason to doubt your letters of rec? How many programs did you apply to? In what region are most of these programs?
This is maybe the only advice I can give.

I would email your ERAS coordinator. Say you only have 3 interviews and you want to make there is any concerning documents on my application.

I’ll remind everyone here that no one is under any obligation to provide advice. If the person you’re giving advice to doesn’t seem willing to give you enough information or is not responding in a way you think is appropriate, it would be better to just ignore the thread than to get into an argument.

OP, I’m only an MS2, so I can’t help you. But as an admin on this site, I will say that responding the way you’re responding is not likely to get you much help. Keep it professional.

Reactions: 6 users
This is maybe the only advice I can give.

I would email your ERAS coordinator. Say you only have 3 interviews and you want to make there is any concerning documents on my application.
I have already said I have no concerns about my LORs or dean's letter.

• Dislike
As in...if you initially applied a competitive surgical subspecialty, would you be okay SOAPing into a Surg prelim/FM/IM, or would you want to hold out hope that your surg subspecialty has an opening in SOAP or would you want to delay graduation?

Overall, I think you should hope for the best (that’ll you match into one of the 3 places you interviewed at), but prepare for the worst (I.e, SOAP or delay graduation). Given that you do not want to disclose specific information online, it may be best for you to speak with your medical school’s staff or your home program’s PD for specific advise on how to SOAP.
Your advice doesn't make much sense given how SOAP works.

• Dislike
I’ll remind everyone here that no one is under any obligation to provide advice. If the person you’re giving advice to doesn’t seem willing to give you enough information or is not responding in a way you think is appropriate, it would be better to just ignore the thread than to get into an argument.

OP, I’m only an MS2, so I can’t help you. But as an admin on this site, I will say that responding the way you’re responding is not likely to get you much help. Keep it professional.
I'm a professional troll hunter.

• Dislike
  • Haha

Is there a way you can lock this thread? I'm getting troll vibes already haha

12jas: Assuming you are smart enough to have already looked at the data and answered your own question you are most likely looking for speculation or advisement.

I don't have the answer to my question. It isn't a question I can answer myself. I'm not interested in speculation. Advice is always appreciated, though.

12jas: Neither of which is possible without more background information.

I was asking you to use your intuition. I'm not interested in disclosing personal information on the internet.
I can respect the desire to protect your privacy, but if you're expecting personalized advice and evaluation of your chances of matching, but not willing to give personal info, you're not going to find what you're looking for. The answers to your question are highly dependent on your specialty, application, and whatever it is about your application that resulted in you having three interviews at this point in the cycle - without that info, all we can give you is generic, historical data. If you want advice and answers specific to your situation and you're not willing to publicly share more details, perhaps you would be better off direct messaging a few faculty or current residents in your specialty of interest, or talking to the person at your school who is responsible for advising students during the match process.

I can respect the desire to protect your privacy, but if you're expecting personalized advice and evaluation of your chances of matching, but not willing to give personal info, you're not going to find what you're looking for.

To the contrary, it is entirely possible to get an answer without providing specifics publicly.

cj_cregg: The answers to your question are highly dependent on your specialty, application, and whatever it is about your application that resulted in you having three interviews at this point in the cycle - without that info, all we can give you is generic, historical data.

That's not exactly true and you should know it ;).

cj_cregg: If you want advice and answers specific to your situation and you're not willing to publicly share more details, perhaps you would be better off direct messaging a few faculty or current residents in your specialty of interest, or talking to the person at your school who is responsible for advising students during the match process.

Asking one's advisors is a good idea, but you're discouraging people from using this website unless they disclose personal information.

Last edited by a moderator:
To the contrary, it is entirely possible to get an answer without providing specifics publicly.

cj_cregg: The answers to your question are highly dependent on your specialty, application, and whatever it is about your application that resulted in you having three interviews at this point in the cycle - without that info, all we can give you is generic, historical data.

That's not exactly true and you should know it ;).

cj_cregg: If you want advice and answers specific to your situation and you're not willing to publicly share more details, perhaps you would be better off direct messaging a few faculty or current residents in your specialty of interest, or talking to the person at your school who is responsible for advising students during the match process.

Asking one's advisors is a good idea, but you're discouraging people from using this website unless they disclose personal information.
Speaking as a current resident who recently went through the match process myself, and as someone who is very involved in the recruitment and matching process at my residency, it is one hundred percent true that if you give us generic information, you will get generic advice. If you give personal information, you will get personal advice. Somebody who knows nothing except that you applied to residency and you got three interviews will not be able to give you specific information on your chances beyond the data that's out there for all residency applicants who ranked 3 programs. Three interviews in family medicine is different from three interviews in neurosurgery. Three interviews with a stellar application for your specialty is different from three interviews with a fair to middling application for your specialty. Three interviews because you have a weak board scores is different from three interviews because you applied to a short/top heavy list is different from three interviews because your personal statement was suggestive of the kind of attitude you've shown in this thread. I can tell you that anybody who walked into my program for interview day or an audition rotation and talked to someone the way you're talking to people here would get a strong recommendation to DNR from the residents.

I'm not discouraging anyone from using this website. But like anything, you get out what you put in. If you want to use this website to get personalized advice and protect your privacy, I would again encourage you to privately message some folks who may be in the know for the specialty to which you applied. There is also the "confidential consult" option you might try.

Speaking as a current resident who recently went through the match process myself, and as someone who is very involved in the recruitment and matching process at my residency, it is one hundred percent true that if you give us generic information, you will get generic advice. If you give personal information, you will get personal advice.

I don't know if you really believe that or not, but that's quite untrue and limiting.

cj_cregg: Somebody who knows nothing except that you applied to residency and you got three interviews will not be able to give you specific information on your chances beyond the data that's out there for all residency applicants who ranked 3 programs.

As above.

cj_cregg: Three interviews in family medicine is different from three interviews in neurosurgery. Three interviews with a stellar application for your specialty is different from three interviews with a fair to middling application for your specialty. Three interviews because you have a weak board scores is different from three interviews because you applied to a short/top heavy list is different from three interviews because your personal statement was suggestive of the kind of attitude you've shown in this thread.

What is it you're saying exactly? You seem to be the one who is arguing adamantly.

cj_cregg: I can tell you that anybody who walked into my program for interview day or an audition rotation and talked to someone the way you're talking to people here would get a strong recommendation to DNR from the residents.

Ok, tell us what kind of program you're at and I'll respond to you more.

cj_cregg: I'm not discouraging anyone from using this website. But like anything, you get out what you put in.

Your approach is quite incorrect but I'm not sure if it is ignorance or something else.

cj_cregg: If you want to use this website to get personalized advice and protect your privacy, I would again encourage you to privately message some folks who may be in the know for the specialty to which you applied. There is also the "confidential consult" option you might try.

I've already gotten advice. If you want to keep chatting I'm happy to, but I'm not sure what you're trying to do other than try to convince me to divulge personal information. Why don't you tell us what kind of program you are in and where and I can respond to you more. Your accusations of a poor attitude in fact demonstrate your own motives. One should be allowed to utilize this website as one wants. There is simply no reason for you to be so disgruntled.

I don't know if you really believe that or not, but that's quite untrue and limiting.

cj_cregg: Somebody who knows nothing except that you applied to residency and you got three interviews will not be able to give you specific information on your chances beyond the data that's out there for all residency applicants who ranked 3 programs.

As above.

cj_cregg: Three interviews in family medicine is different from three interviews in neurosurgery. Three interviews with a stellar application for your specialty is different from three interviews with a fair to middling application for your specialty. Three interviews because you have a weak board scores is different from three interviews because you applied to a short/top heavy list is different from three interviews because your personal statement was suggestive of the kind of attitude you've shown in this thread.

What is it you're saying exactly? You seem to be the one who is arguing adamantly.

cj_cregg: I can tell you that anybody who walked into my program for interview day or an audition rotation and talked to someone the way you're talking to people here would get a strong recommendation to DNR from the residents.

Ok, tell us what kind of program you're at and I'll respond to you more.

cj_cregg: I'm not discouraging anyone from using this website. But like anything, you get out what you put in.

Your approach is quite incorrect but I'm not sure if it is ignorance or something else.

cj_cregg: If you want to use this website to get personalized advice and protect your privacy, I would again encourage you to privately message some folks who may be in the know for the specialty to which you applied. There is also the "confidential consult" option you might try.

I've already gotten advice. If you want to keep chatting I'm happy to, but I'm not sure what you're trying to do other than try to convince me to divulge personal information. Why don't you tell us what kind of program you are in and where and I can respond to you more. Your accusations of a poor attitude in fact demonstrate your own motives. One should be allowed to utilize this website as one wants. There is simply no reason for you to be so disgruntled.

Just want to point out that you seem to expect everybody to give you advice specific to your situation without you providing any information on the type of program you applied to, yet you can't "respond to me more" unless I share what type of program I'm at - although fwiw, programs of all types and specialties try to filter out people who display bad attitudes. If you genuinely think that info will be helpful to you, it's pretty easy to figure out from my post history, because I share that info when it is pertinent to the advice I am giving or asking for. And if you have more to say on that, you are welcome to DM me.

I'm saying that generic info will yield generic advice. I am trying to help you get the advice you are looking for. Did you really just want to hear that yes, there is a possibility that you can match with three interviews? You couldn't have figured that out from the NRMP data? If you feel you've gotten it already, perhaps I misunderstood what you were looking to hear, but then I see no reason to continue this conversation.

Based on what I’ve read in this thread, no I do not think you will match with 3 interviews. I would come up with a plan for the SOAP.

• Hmm
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I love how people always respond "look at the match data" as if that is not the most unhelpful, least actionable document in medical education.

Do you think it's possible to match with 3 interviews this year?
I would suggest looking at the graphs in the last several NRMP Charting Outcomes for your desired specialty. There is specifically a graph that shows number of interviews to percent chance of matching. 3 is on the "extremely low chance of matching" side for almost all specialties.

Just want to point out that you seem to expect everybody to give you advice specific to your situation without you providing any information on the type of program you applied to

I'm not interested in disclosing personal information on the internet. You keep asking me to do so. Again, I suggested you use your intuition.

cj_cregg: yet you can't "respond to me more" unless I share what type of program I'm at - although fwiw, programs of all types and specialties try to filter out people who display bad attitudes.

That's a double standard. You're asking me to provide more information about myself but you won't share what kind of program you're at or where it is. It's seeming like you are the one with the bad attitude.

cj_cregg: If you genuinely think that info will be helpful to you, it's pretty easy to figure out from my post history, because I share that info when it is pertinent to the advice I am giving or asking for. And if you have more to say on that, you are welcome to DM me.

Alright, maybe someone will look through your post history and say. I don't particularly care. You're the one who responded to me.

cj_cregg: I'm saying that generic info will yield generic advice.

That's just not true and you keep arguing about it...

cj_cregg: I am trying to help you get the advice you are looking for.

That's great.

cj_cregg: Did you really just want to hear that yes, there is a possibility that you can match with three interviews?

You can just read the posts to know what I asked. In fact, it was quite a while ago, and my question was already answered. Why we're continuing to have a discussion is an interesting question but you seem to be focused on telling me I have a bad attitude and asking me to share personal information.

cj_cregg: You couldn't have figured that out from the NRMP data?

That is historical data and doesn't tell me the answer to my question, which was regarding my own chances.

cj_cregg: If you feel you've gotten it already, perhaps I misunderstood what you were looking to hear, but then I see no reason to continue this conversation.

Peace out.

Based on what I’ve read in this thread, no I do not think you will match with 3 interviews. I would come up with a plan for the SOAP.

You think I'm not going to match? 😥 What do you think my plan should be for SOAP?

I would suggest looking at the graphs in the last several NRMP Charting Outcomes for your desired specialty. There is specifically a graph that shows number of interviews to percent chance of matching. 3 is on the "extremely low chance of matching" side for almost all specialties.

Oh no!

Status
Not open for further replies.