Interviews! (Part 2)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SD

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
SOrry, that last string was getting way long! Okay, somebody up high really wants me to go to med school, I received my 5th invite for an interview.. LECOM in October.

Who was it that said I wouldn't get ANY interviews with that 6?!? LOL.
smile.gif

------------------
Sara
Class of 2004 at XXXXX

Members don't see this ad.

congrats! How will you decide which school to attend? --Steve

Congrats SD! Are you going to LECOM?

------------------
Ryan
Western U/COMP Class of 2004
thedigitaldoctor.com

Members don't see this ad :)
Since we're on this string now (Great Job SD, I was contimplating the move myself) PB and Taj I'd like to address your advice:
The sad thing is guys, I did all that. I gave him a packet of stuff. Essays, transcripts, activities and services. I even gave him a fat envelope containing all the mailing evelopes; pre-addressed, pre-stamped.
He's just slacking. I have been calling his secretary every other day. Today she told me they had been sent a week ago, yet none of the schools have received them. What can you do? C'est la vie!

------------------
From one thing learn 10,000 things..
-Miyamoto Musashi

rhillstr,

I fell for you buddy. The same thing is happening to me. My doc's secretary has informed me that my recomendations were finally mailed this weekend. What can you do? I covered all my bases exactly as you did. Self-addressed envelopes, portfolio, etc. I even gave my doc the info in late july before I recieved any secondaries. Despite all that it took roughly a month and a half. Needless to say this little glitch has slowed my interview requests considerably. Hopefully, they'll get my files complete this week.

DocGibby

Steve- I have no idea which school I want to attend. I don't even know all that much about LECOM. Hopefully, with my visits, I'll be able to learn more, and see which one feels right.

Mig- Yep, I'm going to go to LECOM, I've never been to PA, plus I need the frequent flyer miles.. It's awfully cheap to fly to Buffalo from Atlanta.
smile.gif

Anyone else going to LECOM? Or know anything about it??

To all others who are still waiting for letters, etc., once your file is actually complete, they don't take that long in deeming you an interview. So rest assured with that notion. Plus, you'll still be beating all of the August MCAT'ers if you took the test in April...

Good luck!

------------------
Sara
Class of 2004 at XXXXX

Thanks Sara.... you're a much needed relief.
I'll have to keep it in perspective.
LECOM-
I personally have no knowledge but I have a really cool book with medstudent info on the school they are attending. So here goes:
-Opened 1993 with emphasis in producing Penn. area docs
-They have a dress code
-1 in 7 applicants receive an interview (congrats!!)
-Interview is with 2 or 3 faculty members in a relaxed atmosphere
-Favorite instructors are the animated Dr. Krueger and Dr. Ziegler who adds political commentary to lectures on pathology (hmmm?)
-Systems based teaching (A&P, biochem, etc. grouped and tought by system)
-Paired with preceptor in second semester to gain hands on experience
-Letter grades and student rankings create competitiveness
-International medical education in countries such as South Africa and Poland
-Community help programs with stipends available
-98% of LECOM students match with their first choice of residency
-Cheap housing (two bedroom apt for less than $400!) and low crime
-Wednesday night bowling league!
wink.gif

Hope this is some help to you. Email me if you want more. If I can help, I will.

------------------
-Miyamoto Musashi

I just got a rejection from AZCOM, and a interview for LECOM in October. In a way, I'm glad I didn't get AZCOM because it is definitely getting too expensive. But, I still would have liked to check out that school.

hey tej, don't worry about AZCOM, LECOM is a great school as well, and I'm sure you'll get in. Keep your spirits up!

Rhil- thanks a lot! That's some great info.. especially about the bowling league on Wednesdays.. I'll have to bring my bowling ball. Just kidding.
smile.gif

Are you interviewing yet R? or are you in??

------------------
Sara
Class of 2004 at XXXXX

So tired,
tired of waiting,
tired of waiting for youuuuuu.

I should call the D.O. I worked with and sing that song to him! HA HA HA
No responses yet! Still waiting on a certain letter to start my files....
Anything else I can do for you SD? Email me!

------------------
-Miyamoto Musashi

Get another DO----shadow one a few times, and get him/her to give you a letter. Time's short; you don't know how long it'll take your doc to write it.

Really stinks 4U...

Hey everyone,

I just got my second interview. I'm heading to UHSCOM October 8.

DocGibby

To those of you getting interview invites congrats and good luck!

How long after your secondaries were completed did you hear from the schools regarding interviews?

In what form did you hear from the schools regarding interviews (mail or phone)?

Thank you for your response.

Michael

Well I'll be a monkey's butt....
I just got three postcards today that indicated that my application was complete at AZCOM, CCOM, and UOMHS!!!
Guess the DO got it together after all. There's still hope for me yet...... or not.
ha ha ha

I just recieved my third interview request. This ones for Des Moines. I'm starting to get conflicting interview dates. I never thought I'd run into that problem.

DocGibby

Hey everyone!

I think someone up high wants me to go to med school too. I was offered my 9th interview, sheesh. I'm starting to wonder if I'm just being rewarded through all of the tough stuff I went through last year in my life. But, I accepted Western U (my first choice) and I was lucky enough to get accepted there first, and since it was my first interview, I didn't have to spend any more $$$! but, doesn't kinda matter anyway since I'll be in debt for a while!

congrats on all your interviews docgibby!!!! hopefully when i get my mcat scores, i will get some too.
your o.u. disecting friend!

Hey Peds wouldn't spector be proud. Keep me updated on your interviews. Hang in there they'll be coming.

P.S. I saw the pre-med "mother" today

DocGibby

docgibby,

that sucks that you saw mom, i heard you saw the anatomy lab know-it-all about disection, who knows nothing yesterday. you are just having a string of seeing people you miss. that is awesome about your msu interview. are you going to show up at any more pre-med meetings?

Peds,

Of course I'll be at the meetings. I have to keep you guys all updated on my progress. As well as give you all the inside track on all the school I go to.

DocGibby