Interviews - time given to make plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ny1020

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was wondering about how much lead time you were given to plan for your interviews? I have a job where I cover for the receptionist when she's out, so I have to get my vacation days in before her...

I know it's silly to worry about it now for next year, but I'm a good worrier.....:)

Members don't see this ad.

Well I'm one of the weird people who somehow got in off a waitlist without ever being interviewed (still trying to figure out exactly how that happened, haha). But from what I've heard from friends and people on here, it really varies. Some people had over a month to book flights, prepare, etc. Some people had just a few days. I did have one phone interview with a school and was given about a week to prepare for that one.

So it really depends and it's kind of unpredictable. Chances are your schedule next spring will be really frustrating, but hopefully your job will understand!

Thanks, Raynee! I'm actually thinking about keeping it hush from my job - in case I don't get in, I can reapply next year and keep the job in the meantime.

I'm going to see if I can get away with taking a few long weekends in a row instead of taking my two weeks off at once. We'll see....

And I think I owe you a congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was given anywhere from 2 weeks to a month for in-person interviews.

Be warned, there's a few schools floating around that are notorious for doing "surprise" phone interviews at odd times. A friend of mine got a call at 9PM on a Friday!

Because of this, I didn't pick up my cell if I didn't know the number during the interview season.

Most interviews will be over the weekend so you can usually get away with taking Thurs/Fri off if your job allows it.

I had almost a month notice for one interview, and about 6 days notice for the one after that. It can be especially bothersome since all schools interview at around the same time-- you don't want to buy nonrefundable tickets to your 7th choice school interview, only to find out that your 1st choice wants you there the same day. I STRONGLY suggest you put in the extra money when buying plane tickets to get the refundable tickets, just in case.

The in-persons I went to were on either Fridays or Mondays. Doesn't work especially well for job scheduling, but I have an awesome boss who let me have days off with barely any notice.

I've heard about "surprise" interviews too, but every phone interview I had was scheduled via e-mail several days ahead of time.

I had anywhere from 1.5 weeks to 5 weeks, so as you can see, it varies. I had a couple that gave me a choice of friday or monday, and I had one that was over the course of a weekend.

Thanks, Raynee! I'm actually thinking about keeping it hush from my job - in case I don't get in, I can reapply next year and keep the job in the meantime.

I'm going to see if I can get away with taking a few long weekends in a row instead of taking my two weeks off at once. We'll see....

And I think I owe you a congrats!

Thanks!

It's true that some schools like "surprise" phone interviews at strange times. The one I had was on Friday evening as I was on my way out the door for a physiology final (not fun). lol.

Thanks, Everyone! I guess it's like getting accepted-you never know.

My in-person interviews were on either a Friday or Monday. I was fortunate enough to receive THREE surprise cell-phone interviews!:eek:

I had about a month notice for each interview. Might as well tell your employer that you may be leaving on short notice regardless of your coworkers schedule. Doesn't seem uncommon to get very short notice as others are saying. Sometimes a person who has accepted an invite backs out shortly before the interview due to an offer, another conflicting invite, or emergency and you may be next on the list.

I had 3-4 weeks for three of mine, and each of these was on a Friday. Then I got a last minute invite after the school's "official" interview day. This one gave me a few day's notice only, but it wasn't too far away and the POI was very flexible since I was getting such late notice.

I did not get any phone calls, other than the initial invites.

Hi everyone!

I was wondering about how much lead time you were given to plan for your interviews? I have a job where I cover for the receptionist when she's out, so I have to get my vacation days in before her...

I know it's silly to worry about it now for next year, but I'm a good worrier.....:)

I only took 2 interviews. One gave me what I thought was ample time...about a month. The other gave me one night and literally scheduled it for the next evening! It all varies. Either way...BE PREPARED!

Also, it should be pointed out that many schools understand that applicants don't necessarily have the cash or freedom to fly out for an interview and will accept a phone interview instead.

Maybe it depends on the program, but from what I've heard, most faculty really do try to be impartial and weigh a phone interview equal to one that's on campus.

Also, it should be pointed out that many schools understand that applicants don't necessarily have the cash or freedom to fly out for an interview and will accept a phone interview instead.

Maybe it depends on the program, but from what I've heard, most faculty really do try to be impartial and weigh a phone interview equal to one that's on campus.

Yep, I would say dependent upon the program. I interviewed at a place that actually advised that they did not feel it necessary to consider individuals seriously for admissions if they (applicants) did not feel it necessary to make arrangements to attend the interview. Another program indicated that individuals who were unable to attend interviews would not be considered "as highly" as individuals who attended, IF they were considered and/or granted a phone interview at all. Others don't seem to have a problem with it. Whereas others do. Check with the individual program if it comes to that though!

just out of curiosity, which schools called with surprise phone interviews?! i'm glad i didn't get any of them...

Not one school called with a surprise interview! I anticipated the interview and prepared for the call many weeks in advance. The call happened to coincide with my travels to a conference they were attending.

I was given from two weeks to two months to prepare for interviews. I didn't get any 'surprise' phone interviews, although some of the phone calls in which I was offered an interview lasted a while.

My flight got canceled at the last minute (while on the plane) to one school so I did a phone interview instead and was offered admission. I didn't end up choosing this school, but it is possible to get accepted without an in person interview.