Interviews: What do you bring with you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phllystyl

n0t the j0ke f0rum!@RAWR@
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

What does everyone bring on an interview? Is bringing an over the shoulder bag considered ok or too much?

Just a folder?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

phllystyl said:
Hey everyone,
What does everyone bring on an interview? Is bringing an over the shoulder bag considered ok or too much?
Just a folder?
Thanks
I brought the following on an interview:
1) Leather folder with a notepad, pen (not a drug company pen), reprints of my publications, CV, maps of the hospital, phone number of administrators
2) Breath mints
3) Cell phone in my pocket
4) Business card of my hotel with address (for giving directions to the local taxi drivers to ensure that they drive the longest possible route to the hotel and overcharge me)

bbart76 said:
I brought the following on an interview:
1) Leather folder with a notepad, pen (not a drug company pen), reprints of my publications, CV, maps of the hospital, phone number of administrators
2) Breath mints
3) Cell phone in my pocket
4) Business card of my hotel with address (for giving directions to the local taxi drivers to ensure that they drive the longest possible route to the hotel and overcharge me)

Hi bbart76,
Do you give copies of your publications/CV to every person who interviews you? Re: articles, I think I only have like 20 reprints or less. Is it ghetto to just give regular copies?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you give your reprints to each interviewer, or do you only have them available to give if they ask?

How about rejections from major journals. I have a few of those....

Sohalia said:
Hi bbart76,
Do you give copies of your publications/CV to every person who interviews you? Re: articles, I think I only have like 20 reprints or less. Is it ghetto to just give regular copies?
Thanks
I only handed it out if they asked; I printed out some color copies on a color laser printer and handed those out instead of the glossy reprints.

I lost my reprints years ago. :)

DrNick2006 said:
I lost my reprints years ago. :)
I saw one person on the interview trail talk about bringing their papers on a USB flash key rather than lugging hard copies around (unless your papers are pre-PDF era for the journal).

All my school recommends is a leather attache and a nice pen. Gum is a good idea as well.

Mumpu said:
All my school recommends is a leather attache and a nice pen. Gum is a good idea as well.
Chewing gum can come across as flippant. I would stick to mints or breath strips.

maybe I'm going for flippant. :rolleyes:

what if you don't have any published papers, but you have stuff in submission, or in preparation...do you take like proof of submissions (or in my case, one or two rejections)...

btw...anyone have any good deals on little leather portfolios...i went to staples and bought one, and it cost me nearly 50 bucks (was like 40 after a 10 dollar coupon but still)...thats a little more than I was expecting

J

DrJ-Bond said:
btw...anyone have any good deals on little leather portfolios...i went to staples and bought one, and it cost me nearly 50 bucks (was like 40 after a 10 dollar coupon but still)...thats a little more than I was expecting

J

I shopped around a bit and the best I could find was around $20. They are surprisingly pricey.

hmmm...guess I will stick to my portfolio then...chalk another one up to "future income"...I better make good on these interviews, between clothes and flights and hotels and gas and leather cases and...I'm going to be MAD poor

DrJ-Bond said:
hmmm...guess I will stick to my portfolio then...chalk another one up to "future income"...I better make good on these interviews, between clothes and flights and hotels and gas and leather cases and...I'm going to be MAD poor
I luckily found my leather case from medical school interviews so I can reuse it. I figure I am not going to residencies where you have to wear short white coats so my white coat is in its last year of life. I am trying to maintain my weight so I don't have to buy another interview suit for fellowships (I also cheated and bought a size larger for my suit pants and had it tailored to the correct size). I stuffed all my flights, hotels, and rental cars all under the same frequent flyer program to rack up towards a free flight. I sometimes can't believe I am going to do this all over again in 1-2 years for fellowships (Continental and Northwest better not go out of business...)

I got the Staples portfolio dealie and shoved like 10 copies of my CV in it because occasionally they ask for it.

..oh and an extra change of underwear for those tough faculty interviews

AF_PedsBoy said:
..oh and an extra change of underwear for those tough faculty interviews
Luckily I have the reverse where I have increased sphincter tone in response to tough faculty interviews (using a foreign bathroom in a hospital isn't exactly conducive for relaxation either).

Throw in some KY packets as well. :laugh:

Mumpu said:
Throw in some KY packets as well. :laugh:
I have not had those kind of interviews yet...