Interviews while finishing degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crank

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do medical schools care if you are still finishing your degree during the application cycle? I will be applying this june but be taking classes this fall to finish my degree. Will this interfere with the interview process or my chances of getting in? It will have taken 4.5 years for me to graduate. Does this look bad?

Members don't see this ad.

Regarding your first question, no, many people are in their last year of college while interviewing, so it is common to not have graduated when you are interviewing (as long as you are going to be graduating that school year obviously.) As to the other question my guess is probably not, although it might depend on the reason that it took you 4.5 years... but wait for someone more knowledgeable.

Do medical schools care if you are still finishing your degree during the application cycle? I will be applying this june but be taking classes this fall to finish my degree. Will this interfere with the interview process or my chances of getting in? It will have taken 4.5 years for me to graduate. Does this look bad?

Question 1: Nope

Question 2: Depends on why. If it was because you decided to add on a minor late or were out of commission a semester or some good reason, nah no prob. If it was because you failed all your first semester classes, yah bigger prob. I doubt people will really notice unless its the second.