Interviews with more than one PI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandak

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For a clinical PhD program, what do people normally do if they mentioned 2 different PIs in their statement, and have interviews with both? I have talked to one already, and she said that if I was accepted I would be working with her. So, would the other PI already know that? I am not sure if I should act like I am interested in them as my mentor or mention the other PI...?

Also (unrelated) what are some signs that an interview did/didn't go well? Maybe like time frame, departing words from the professor, etc?

Thanks everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad.

For a clinical PhD program, what do people normally do if they mentioned 2 different PIs in their statement, and have interviews with both? I have talked to one already, and she said that if I was accepted I would be working with her. So, would the other PI already know that? I am not sure if I should act like I am interested in them as my mentor or mention the other PI...?

Also (unrelated) what are some signs that an interview did/didn't go well? Maybe like time frame, departing words from the professor, etc?

It may boil down to a competition between the 2 PIs, both of whom may wish to work with you.

Both PIs will know that you mentioned each other.

Be enthusiastic about the possibility of working with both. Even if you do not work with one (full-time), you may collaborate with them in the future.

It depends on some of the context. e.g., if it is typical that the PI does a phone interview with prospective students, and that is what you are taking about in the second sentence, this may be a polite (if somewhat unclear) way of saying "other PI is not considering you." I'd just be enthusiastic about working with whomever you are talking to. If the two have a history of collaboration, then you can ask about the potential for being involved in work happening in both labs. If not, I would suggest putting the person interviewing you at the forefront of your expressed interest.

Don't spend time dwelling on what little things might indicate good or bad interviews. That's crazy-making. Time frames depend on a million external things, departing words depend on personalities, etc.