Interviews without Accepts is like ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jult24er

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there enough of us to start a thread of people who were ok getting interviews but have since ran into a massive road block? For example, I'm on 2 waitlists with 0 acceptances after 5 interviews.

Maybe, with enough of us, we can piece together why we're here. What do applicants who get interviews but not acceptances have in common? Poor ECs? Late Apps? Bad interviewing?

And in addition to this guessing game, good luck to everyone hoping for a first. :luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

i got WL'ed at like 4 of schools where i interviewed in february and march. i'm sure my late interviews contributed to that.
that said, i got into 2 schools where i interviewed in april. maybe it was the desperation reeking on my breath that helped. or maybe i was really enthusiastic at those interviews - if not stinky? i can't tell you. i guess i have no point other than hang in there, jult24er, i'm sure it will work out for you in the end - you still have 2 chances.

11 schools, 9 interviews.

Interview 1, Late November, Rejected in March
Interview 2, Late November, Accepted 1.5 weeks later
Interview 3, Late November, Accepted off the waitlist in May
Interview 4, Early December, Withdrew
Interview 5, Mid December, Waitlisted
Interview 6, Mid January, Accepted off the waitlist in May
Interview 7, Late January, Accepted off the waitlist in April
Interview 8, Late January, Rejected in March
Interview 9, Mid February, Accepted off the waitlist in May

Random as it comes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey jult24er i am in the same boat as you. I got 3 interviews and got waitlisted at all 3 schools:( I think we are both on the SLU waitlist together since I have been spying on that thread. We should definitely talk and compare notes :D I am a wreck right now to be completely honest, this waiting is killing me from the inside out....How are you holding up?

I'm in the same boat as well.

9 interviews, still no acceptances.

Here are my stats: Someone explain this to me

-34 MCAT
-3.84 GPA
-Great EC's (many of my interviewers commented on their quality)
-Good interviewee (One of my interviewers told me it was her best interview ever, several others commented on the quality of the interviews)
-Applied early
-Applied very broadly, but was rejected without an interview at a number of my safety schools

I am in a good position on one waiting list and hope to be accepted there soon, and I'm on 4 other waiting lists (Ohio State, NYU, Case Western, Virginia)

Most people that see this will probably think that there must be something seriously wrong with me. I would love to know what it is. I am a caring, kind person who really really wants to be a doctor. I am rather humble as well: I would normally never say these things about myself, but I would really like to know what happened.

Hey jult24er i am in the same boat as you. I got 3 interviews and got waitlisted at all 3 schools:( I think we are both on the SLU waitlist together since I have been spying on that thread. We should definitely talk and compare notes :D I am a wreck right now to be completely honest, this waiting is killing me from the inside out....How are you holding up?

Ha ha, well, holding up ok, i think, but dreading the thought of asking my recomenders for updated letters and of interviewing again - what more can i say - i want to be a doctor. But, yeah, the waiting is killing me from the inside out, thats a pretty fair description. Shaky boat this is, we need dramamine.

Dr Dreamer, 4 acceptances from 5 waitlists, thats pretty great! Only 1 straight acceptance from 9 interviews almost puts you in our boat, but you're a waitlist killer, you must have a great LOI.

Boobaunutz, 2 out of 6, seems good to me, especially it sounds like all your interviews were late. Thanks for the pump up talk, have fun in saint looey.

GPA: 3.86
MCAT: 31R verbal was 7...
Lots of research, tutoring, clinical, and abroad experiences
trilingual
took a year off to work for nonprofit
12 interview invites (low tier, middle tier, 1 top 20 school)
3 declined (bad idea)
went on 9 interviews (from Aug.to Feb.)
2 rejects (my second best interview?!)
5 waitlists (top 20 school)
1 initial waitlist became acceptance
1 straight acceptance
I think it was my low verbal score that made the admissions commitee to think twice.... but my interviews were probably mediocre.
I don't think there is a solid reason but usually the an application file will have one weakness that results in lots of interviews but few acceptance.

-34 MCAT
-3.84 GPA
-Good interviewee (One of my interviewers told me it was her best interview ever, several others commented on the quality of the interviews)
-Applied early
-Applied very broadly, but was rejected without an interview at a number of my safety schools

I am in a good position on one waiting list and hope to be accepted there soon, and I'm on 4 other waiting lists (Ohio State, NYU, Case Western, Virginia)

Most people that see this will probably think that there must be something seriously wrong with me. I would love to know what it is. I am a caring, kind person who really really wants to be a doctor. I am rather humble as well: I would normally never say these things about myself, but I would really like to know what happened.

Wow!! A new winner. That is crazy. Caring? Humble? Are those the interview ending traits? It cant be the 3.84 ...

Last edited:

-34 MCAT
-3.84 GPA
-Applied early

Words like these fill me with fear. And no I don't quite have a 3.84 (!)

Words like these fill me with fear. And no I don't quite have a 3.84 (!)

Sorry! I don't want to scare anyone away from applying to medical school. My situation isn't a common one. Good luck!

Maybe a silent killer in the form of a bad rec?

gosh i hope not, too bad we can't read our letters

Members don't see this ad :)

Maybe ... do you think that would rear its head post-interview though? Like that raises flags, but they bring you in to confirm for themselves?

this thread is growing fast...I would like to contribute as well...

3.76 33 MCAT

6 interviews

5 waitlists and 1 straight rejection

I decided to withdraw from 2 waitlists from safety schools

and currently on 3 waitlists (vanderbilt, mayo, baylor)

and..now I am trying to take MCAT again this summer and working on my application for this upcoming cycle. :(

this thread is growing fast...I would like to contribute as well...

3.76 33 MCAT

6 interviews

5 waitlists and 1 straight rejection

I decided to withdraw from 2 waitlists from safety schools

and currently on 3 waitlists (vanderbilt, mayo, baylor)

and..now I am trying to take MCAT again this summer and working on my application for this upcoming cycle. :(

Wow, sorry. I think you take the silver at this point. What do you think it was? Maybe you didnt apply very broadly on the lower end? Not interested in the safety schools? maybe they sensed that? I wonder if we're all non-trads, i am ...

35 MCAT
3.6 GPA
Good Extracurriculars and experience
Good interviewing skills hopefully
1 waitlist at my top choice and 2 acceptances.

i think i figured out the mystery...super imbalanced MCAT scores in each section, and applying late. There just has to be one thing other than stats that is holding us back b/c i know people with below mediocre stats who got in way before me

Wow, sorry. I think you take the silver at this point. What do you think it was? Maybe you didnt apply very broadly on the lower end? Not interested in the safety schools? maybe they sensed that? I wonder if we're all non-trads, i am ...

I am a trad-applicant, but I did apply broadly. When I interviewed at "safety schools", I tried my best to convince them I would seriously consider attending (I mean that's why I applied there in the first place) but they didn't buy it and eventually put me on the waitlist.

Maybe I was bitter, or I don't really know, but I decided to withdraw from their waitlists...It is kind of sad really because....I would be really interested in attending some of those schools if they accepted me with some financial assistance.

I was thinking that same thing until one of my later interviews- the first thing the interviewer told me was: "Your letters of recommendation are awesome!"

there is just no applying logic to this process. it's like religion. you just try and have faith in it all, and at the end of the road you hope it all turns out for the better. but trying to apply logic to the application process just makes your head feel all hurtie.

i am goin to contribute as well

GPA: 3.90, 3.92 BPCM
MCAT: 33
a lot of ECS and awards/scholarships
good to excellent LORs

5 interviews
3 WL (UCLA, UCI, etc)

i think i might've applied too late, all secondaries were done btwn mid oct to mid nov... other than that my essays i guess were avg to above avg... sigh

i am goin to contribute as well

GPA: 3.90, 3.92 BPCM
MCAT: 33
a lot of ECS and awards/scholarships
good to excellent LORs

5 interviews
3 WL (UCLA, UCI, etc)

i think i might've applied too late, all secondaries were done btwn mid oct to mid nov... other than that my essays i guess were avg to above avg... sigh

wow. the other two? any accepts?

If some of you wouldn't mind, could you post more details...schools applied to, date apps in etc.

I was just curious if it is a case of applying late or applying to ultra competitive schools.

I looked for MDapps links but had not luck.

Thanks.

Check out my mdapps profile for my sad story...

Went on 4 interviews which turned out to be 4 waitlists. I think the fact that I was complete at most schools in sept/oct really hurt my chances. My age might have been a factor as well.