Interviews yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wick215

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just starting a new thread to see who has received interviews. I know it may be early but share as soon as you hear!!!

Members don't see this ad.

(sigh)... the great ECFMG is so overloaded at this time, they're having problems scanning and transmitting documents to ERAS in time... and then they had some communications problems with ERAS as well... so its a little frustrating.. specially since its the weekend now...
Also, Ive noticed that most of the programs have not downloaded the CAF and the other available supporting documents... is that normal? when do MOST programs download the applications?

And to all the forum veterans... how early did u get your first interview?
best of luck!
samdaman

I checked my ADTS yesterday and several (not all) programs have downloaded my CAF and other documents. I guess it depends where you apply. The most popular programs are probably overloaded.???

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends. Remember that its up to the Residency Coordinator to download all the stuff. And its hte PD who gives the RC the "go-ahead" to download. They coudl have downloaded your file the first day it was available and just sit on it for a month... it all depends.

Q

My first invitation was via PHONE CALL! I remember just picking up the phone and I was really excited...then 1-2 weeks of nothing else.
The rest came via email, and i would say the majority of invites were in november.
Best of luck it is very exciting.

I remember it being a while before most programs started downloading my app - maybe mid Sept. by the time everyone had gotten it. First interview came in mid-October. Good luck everyone!

Be careful of any "spam" detectors on your email. It can filter out interviews. Especially don't use yahoo or hotmail. I had several friends who never knew about interview offers until it was too late.

I used Yahoo! for my invites last year. I never had a problem with it. But it was definately before the Sobig virus... which has since taken hold of my email account...

but be sure to check your bulkmail box often (just to be sure)...

Q, DO

I am using yahoo but I think programs are now going through the ERAS message center to contact you. At least that is what I have heard.

hey that would be great if the programs started using the ERAS message center. What purpose does the message center serve otherwise?

Fought Fyr:

You are making me jealous.........congrats on the first of many

As I remember, I got most invitations in October, which was frustrating when the other specialties were already getting 10 in september.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fyr, I read your background info and you sound very much like the Wright State type (PD is former EMT-P).

Found out today via email. Was kinda thinking that I was gonna go 0 for 29. Good luck everyone!

Got an invite today from Orlando. My first one.

Casey

Allegheny General 9/15, via email and ERAS message center.

Ohio State via snail mail. Anyone know anything about the program other than what's on the website?

Tampa yesterday.

Maine via email...USF via snail mail. I'll probably schedule these two back to back.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll interview there. I have a swing shift tomorrow so I'll call then. Planning for Dec. 17th I think.

Most interviews came in November, but I also had a few in December, and a few at the end of September/beginning of October. RE Hotmail---check the junk mail folder daily. All my invites came there. (Its not that hard to remember to check it, you just gotta wade through all the offers that assume you're an oversexxed undersized cheap prescription seeking guy looking to make a quick buck.....)

1st interview - Maine Medical Center.
:cool:

Just picked up the mail - interview #2 at USF.

Letter dated the 9/23 arrived in Japan on 10/2...outstanding.

Originally posted by iwakuni_doc
Just picked up the mail - interview #2 at USF.

Letter dated the 9/23 arrived in Japan on 10/2...outstanding.

I've wondered why our program doesn't let people know via email, but my voice goes unheard. I got an invite from Ohio State last year that came regular mail. That and USF were the only ones who did regular mail (I think).
Q, DO

Trauma Surgery, grrrrrrrrr!

Quinn,

Do you ever feel the need for an eye opener post?
Have you ever tried to quit posting?
Do people bug you about your posting?

You've certainly become a prolific poster these days.

:D

Texas Tech today via email (nothing on ERAS message board, which of course begs the question, "what's the point?!").

Can I take my time replying if I do not want to schedule for another month? Or is it best to tell them "Thanx for invite. V/interested. Will get back to you in 30 days to schedule interview."?

sooo excited to get first invite!!!
:clap:

wanted to pass along something i learned from interviewing

even though you are offered an interview, most programs invite more people than they have dates to interview. therefore, if you wait a long time to reply or are in the second batch of invitations, they may not have space left (ie -- they will waitlist you) or they may only have specific days left.

to prevent that from happening, call back as soon as possible and schedule something. you can schedule an interview in january if you want. it's much easier to cancel later.

also, try to keep access to your email when you're interviewing or have a friend check it. one place (i must have been in the second or even later batch of invites), i was gone for about a week in december for a stretch of interviews and then when i got back, i had an invite and when i called, they had no more spaces left.

i'm not sure what your chances of getting off a waitlist are (probably slim). they rely on people cancelling interviews for space.

Originally posted by tonem
Quinn,

Do you ever feel the need for an eye opener post?
Have you ever tried to quit posting?
Do people bug you about your posting?

You've certainly become a prolific poster these days.

:D

Thanks. Actually I haven't had as muhc time to post as muhc as I"d like, I just started Trauma Surgery yesterday, it is kicking my butt. But thankfully Nov in EM and Dec is OB/GYN, both months I will be far less busy.

Q, DO

I've recieved 3 interviews by e-mail/ERAS message center: St. Lukes, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson (Camden), and University of Maryland (but I go here). Keep them coming!!!

pelivar

Notified via email today. Anyone have thoughts on this program?

Originally posted by Pelivar
I've recieved 3 interviews by e-mail/ERAS message center: St. Lukes, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson (Camden), and University of Maryland (but I go here). Keep them coming!!!

pelivar

What's your take on Maryland? I got my invite from them today & would appreciate your opinion on the program, faculty, etc.

Thanks.

My count is now three. All via email/ERAS msg. center...

Wright State
St. John's in Detroit
Allegheny General Hospital in Pitt.

Good luck all...

- H

Originally posted by iwakuni_doc
What's your take on Maryland? I got my invite from them today & would appreciate your opinion on the program, faculty, etc.

Thanks.

I REALLY liked Univ of MD's program, in fact I ranked it #2 on my list. I had a REAL hard time deciding between UMD and USF.

USF: New Program, I have been in Tampa two years, I got family/friends here, I like the town. Beautiful hospital, decent teaching. Biggest draw was being part of a brand new 3 year program and staying in a great city that is affordable. Lots of great pathology (not just all indigent population like other programs).

UMD: Well established program. Excellent teaching (Dr. Mattu is awesome, as is the rest of the administration there). Lots of great off service rotations. Shock/Trauma! Brand new beautiful ED. Lots of inner city population (i.e. lots of IVDU). Another draw for me was being back home (DC area). But I thought the teaching there was top notch. I did one rotation at a Philly program and it could not compare to the teaching at UMD.

Q, DO

I agree with everything Quin said above. Dr. Mattu, the PD, is great and he sets the tone for the program. The new ED is very nice and there is not much scut. The lab and radiology are next to the ED so getting what you need is easy. The patient mix is mostly inner city with pretty serious pathology. You would also rotate through the VA ED and a private hospital, so you get to see a good mix. We have combined IM/EM and Peds/EM and they are some of the smartest/best teaching residents we have. Shock Trauma is great, you get to see a very methodical approach to truama and you are involved in all aspects of trauma care. On off service rotations residents are treated well. There is also an attached Peds ED with very good attendings and nurses.

They work hard at maryland with 18-21 12 hours shifts per month as interns and it only gets slightly better. The didactics are on Weds morning and are usually excellent, with some boring ones thrown in. For some people having you adult ED, peds ED and trauma experience seperate is a negative, but to me it's a chance to work with experts in each of those sides of EM and be able to focus on that. And you do get a lot of medicine at Shock Trauma as you manage patients and some blunt trauma still comes to the main ED. The residents are very laid back and fun. I plan to rank it high. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Pelivar

I got offered one @ LSU 9/25. I recieved an email and message in the ERAS center.

Originally posted by Quimby2
Texas Tech today via email (nothing on ERAS message board, which of course begs the question, "what's the point?!").

Can I take my time replying if I do not want to schedule for another month? Or is it best to tell them "Thanx for invite. V/interested. Will get back to you in 30 days to schedule interview."?

sooo excited to get first invite!!!
:clap:

Schedule it now. The interview schedules fill up quickly. Better to have an interview now and need to reschedule than wait and not be able to get a interview slot at all.

Hennepin via E-mail! I'm psyched! One of those programs you apply to as a longshot (at least for me), but don't hold your breath for. I guess some longshots actually happen.

Virion

Originally posted by Virion
Hennepin via E-mail! I'm psyched! One of those programs you apply to as a longshot (at least for me), but don't hold your breath for. I guess some longshots actually happen.

Virion

Congratualtions! That's awesome!

Q, DO

Does anyone have an opinion on how to deal with lagging LOR's? I feel crippled by my letter writer's tardiness! Any tactful ways to deal with this?

How much will this hurt me in the end? I have 4 letters total and 3 letters in ERAS already: 1 med, 1 surg, 1 EM. Just waiting for that last blessed EM letter.

I only have one interview so far and am feeling left in the dust.

-Dwgs

Does anyone have an opinion on how to deal with lagging LOR's? I feel crippled by my letter writer's tardiness! Any tactful ways to deal with this?

the dean's letter doesn't come out until november 1. i think a lot of programs are waiting for the dean's letter. if you letter writer is an attending at a place where residents train, i'm sure they realize the importance of the letter and will get it in eventually, and most likely in time too. i would use gentle reminders but don't bug them too much. try and get a time frame from them so that you won't have to bother them until after that time. but really, i think the wait is more on the dean's letter than your em letter, especially since you already have 3 letters in.

believe me, it'll all work out in the end.

Don't sweat not hearing from a lot of places already... its still early. Last year, although I got a bunch before Nov. 1st, a flurry came in the week after Dean's Letters went out. Give it a month... they'll come, I promise! :D

Originally posted by dwgs

How much will this hurt me in the end? I have 4 letters total and 3 letters in ERAS already: 1 med, 1 surg, 1 EM. Just waiting for that last blessed EM letter.

I only have one interview so far and am feeling left in the dust.

-Dwgs

dwgs. this pisses me off. how hard is it to fill in an slor? it should take 4 minutes to check the boxes. if i were you, i would go to the EM doc and provide a "helpful" list of examples of what you did in the ED that made you an outstanding student. Of course, impress upon him that the use of these examples are purely optional, but they do represent what you think is an honest appraisal of yourself. [IMO, a rec w/o examples is garbage]. And tell him you need this rec this friday.

Thanks for the support, y'all. I know I need to calm down STAT. Just excited and worried and scared and everything in between. :rolleyes:

It is difficult to hear about all of the interviews everyone else is getting while you're still waiting.... although I'm happy for everyone else... :D

don't worry -- most likely by the end, you'll be cancelling some interviews.

i know it seems like forever for you but for the interns and the residency programs, the year is just starting. things are starting to move smoothly -- interns are finally settling in. it seems crazy early to be interviewing the next class. most interview offers come after nov 1.

i know it's easier said than done, but enjoy october b/c once you hit the interview trail, things don't calm down until the end of january. and then, the hardest part (i think), coming up with your rank list, then there's the wait b/w feb and match day..... so really, october and april/may will be your most relaxing months -- enjoy them.

Add me to the list for Hennipen County Medical Center! Nice to get the first one scheduled.

Beth Israel Deaconess by email this am. Woo hoo! Good luck everyone!

LSUHSC today...things are looking better!!! Maybe New Orleans can help me forget Kirksville, MO!!!

Anybody hear from the Cal programs yet?

East Carolina by Email and Message Center today.

Casey