Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComplexPuzzle

shakin dat a**
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question? I am graduating this year from undergrad and applying to med school in june. Obviously I am going to have a year off between undergrad and med. What I want to do for that year is go abroad and take some classes as well as get some field experience. What I would like to know is if there is a way to get around the interview process? Do they do telephone interviews for those who can not travel to the school for the face to face interview. I really want to find a way around this process. I absolutely don't want to miss out on this abroad opportunity just because of a few weekends in the fall during which time I would have interviews. Thanks. Let me know if anyone has any ideas. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

i seriously doubt they will have phone interviews. i'm sure you are very qualified. but there are so many others who are also qualified AND they can make it to the interview. My friend was in the same position and I think she decided against going abroad. She will stay in NYC and work for awhile. Maybe you can go through May-September. Good luck!

i agree. no admissions committee is going to go out of their way to accommodate you with a special phone interview, not when there are thousands of other applicants that would do anything to have a chance to come to that school for an interview. unfortunately, applying to med school kind of forces you to stay in one spot--i cancelled a vacation last summer because i didn't know when my AMCAS app would be processed and the secondaries would start flooding my mailbox. traveling during may-september (when the interview season is over) might be your only real option.

I agree with Harvard.edu. You should go to your interviews in person, or they'll have no problem rejecting you. I recommend going abroad for the summer and then working or volunteering in the U.S. so you're able to go on interviews.

I worked in a clinic for Hispanic migrant farmworkers instead of going abroad...inside the clinic it was like I was in another country anyway, and it turned out to be a very valuable learning experience (and I learned Spanish too).

good luck