Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pepper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applying for 2000 received an invitation for an interview yet (D.O. programs)?

Members don't see this ad.

nope...still waiting for the mailman EACH and EVERY day...
smile.gif

guess i can fill out more fun secondaries in the mean time

miglo

biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Paul's Boutique (edited August 16, 1999).]

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you know? I just got a call this morning from WesternCOMP for an interview! Woohoo! Sept 14. Anyone else?

miglo

West Virginia is scheduling interviews. They sent me my time with the secondary. I wonder how tough a screen it was.

WITH the secondary? Wow, thats cool! I haven't heard anything from them yet...

miglo

Might I ask how long was it between the time your file was complete and your invite for the interview?

Hey.. I, too, received an invite to West Virginia with the secondary.. It seemed kind of odd. Does anyone know what their screening process is like? Are they sending out times for everyone? I'm not from WV, but am from the Southeast. Has anyone gotten the secondary, and not an invite??

I take that back, I did hear something for WV...a flat REJECTION (wo even a 2ndary)! hehehhe...oh well, can't win them all I guess, and I didn't think my stats were that bad.

SD : I called WUCOMP on 2 fridays ago and they said that my file was complete and it was JUST sent to the commitee for review. So I would say it took ~1-2 wks (for me).

Actually, my file at West Virginia is not complete yet :) I had trouble believing they would schedule interviews without all supporting documentation, but I guess it is their standard practice. They initially had it scheduled next week but I had a conflict, so I rescheduled. When I talked to them over the phone, they were well aware of the fact that my file is not complete - and may not be complete at the time of the interview (recs). The secondary is short (1 page front and back). FWIW, I am a NC res, which is a southern appalachian state, which their catalog states is their second preference after wv residents.

RAM: When is your new interview date? Mine is set up for beginning of September. Maybe living in the South has some influence... I'm still interested in why they automatically schedule the interview based solely on the primary app. That application gives so very little info. What do you think of the school anyways?

SD: I am scheduled for Friday September 3rd. I am of the mindset that you are going to get a good education at any osteopathic school. WV is supposed to have very strong primary care, but what osteo scool doesn't?

RAM: Whew. I spent about 3 hours today finding a plane ticket, car, etc. I'll be up there the week after you. Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
So any other schools interviewing? We have WVCOM and WUCOMP so far.

how many osteo schoools should i apply to, Just to be on the safe side?

I have applied to seven. Is this a good number.

My stats are 3.5 Science, 3.66 overall
and 27 Mcats

I applied to 19DO and 15MD schools...I figure a number >30 would be "safe".

Stats :
SciGPA 3.38
CumGPA 3.31
MCAT 29O

Miglo

One school for me...
biggrin.gif
!

[This message has been edited by Paul's Boutique (edited August 18, 1999).]

miglo i thought there were only 18 d.o schools

paul which school is that?

and are u confident that one school is enough

There are 19 DOs schools. I wouldn't apply to all of the osteo schools. Some schools have stipulations so you have to read the fine print. For instance, oucom (ohio) requires you to sign a 5 yr contract which means that after residency you have to practice in the state of ohio for at least 5 years. Also, some schools such as OK, UNT, pikeville, wvsom "PREFER" in state or within a certain region. Also, many schools (both md and do schools) will send secondaries to everyone in order to get $$$. It's all a big scam. So make sure to check the stats for last year to see if you're a competitive candidate before forking over anymore money. Do your research and make a wise decision where you apply. The application process is expensive enough already...interviews are even more expensive... so save wherever you can.

My stats:
gpa: 3.7 (sci:3.6)
mcat: 30S

-TP
CCOM '03

the stats reported by each school for the gpa and mcats, are they a valid comparison to use when applying to the d.o schools>

tp

tp

which schools are good ones to apply to,
i have applied to wv, western, nova, newengland, arizona, tucom, pcom.

immi: WesternU all the way baby!!
biggrin.gif

just my opinion

TP: you're right...i should have done some research first but i figure it wouldnt hurt. especially the OUCOM thing...blah

miglo

Paul: Did you only apply to WesternU? The early decision thing? How is it going?

miglo

The stats (gpa/mcat) reported by the school is a pretty good indicator but as with all stats you have to take it with a grain of salt. In my opinion, the stats that are printed in the aoa booklet that you get with your aacomas are not very accurate. In general, i believe those stats are a little low especially if you are out of state. HOwever, keep in mind that the stats are an AVERAGE. Which means they accepted people with lower numbers as well as with higher numbers. Plus, schools look for the complete package. They want the well-rounded student. Probably the best way to find the most accurate numbers for each school is to actual call up and ask the admissions office. Ask them what were the average stats for this years' MS1 class. You can also tell them your numbers and many schools will give you a honest opinion on where you lie.

Immi, I can't really tell you which school is better than the next. I can only tell you which school i applied to. They were:
Western U, Tucom, uhs/com, azcom, pcom, uohms, unecom, ccom, nova se, kcom. It comes down to what you think will be good for you. You kind of have to establish your own ranking system that correlates with what is important to you. Some things to consider would be the school's geography, reputation, class size, facility, faculty,cost, rotation hospitals/sites, etc.

I turned in my primaries around the third week of june(not as early as i wanted but i'm a bit of a procrastinator). I finished sending out all my secondaries by sept (once again i'm a slacker). I think that it's crucial to get those secondaries out asap. The earlier the 2-andary the faster the committee can evaluate you and hopefully the earlier you get an interview. An interview that's early in the application process increases your chances of acceptances dramatically. The earlier the interview, the more seats that are availabe. Admission committees are a lot more picky around April and May b/c there are fewer seats. All my interviews happened in a span of 6 weeks. My first one was on the second week of october and my last one was mid. november.

I was invited for an interview at western u (aka comp), uhs/com, azcom, ccom, unecom, uomhs, tucom. I went to the first 4 and declined the latter 3. I got into all the schools i interviewed (western u, azcom, uhs) except for ccom. I was wait-listed at ccom and eventually taken off and ccom is where i'll be heading this fall.

thanks tp and miglo

i too am more interested in western,

but does any one know what are scores with which people have gotten in?

also has any one send there secondaries out to western and heard about intervies yet?

immi: I received a call from Western on Monday for an interview on Sept 14. Anyone earlier?

miglo

miglo when did you send your secondary in ?

immi: My file was COMPLETE (2ndary and letters of rec arrived) roughly a week before I received that faithfull call.

One application...

one school...

one interview...

one acceptance...

biggrin.gif
Western U / COMP '2004'
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Paul's Boutique (edited August 20, 1999).]

paul: can I get your email/or phone number? I want to talk about your western interview. When was your interview?

miglo

[email protected]

Congrats Paul. You Got it.

Hey MIGLO, when you get your acceptance will you pass the information on to me?
-Kick ass!

rhillstr: oh yeah definitely...provided I get accepted
smile.gif
I just hope I don't screw up!

www.interviewfeedback.com

great source for interview information at specific schools.

Good Luck to everyone
Kelly
CCOM 2003

Does any one know unique qualities or qualities that should be highlighted about Western?
Does Western have any research interest .

RAM: I finally got around to reading WVSOM's brochure, and it actually does state that only people they are inviting for interviews actually receive secondaries. I suppose that's the reason for sending the times with the secondaries... BTW, are are you still planning on going up??

SD: I still plan on going up. My interview is the Friday before Labor Day. I wonder if everyone in WV and southern appalachian states received a secondary/interview. This seems like it would make for a large pool to choose from, but I really have no idea what the numbers are, other than they take about 70% WV residents.

Just received an invitation today from UNECOM for an interview.

I just recieved an interview for Nova Southeastern University today.

DocGibby

I called up Touro in SF today to see if my application was complete and the nice secretary said I should be recieving my invitation anyday now (they mailed it on Friday)..woohoo!

Mig