interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mateo

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have taken the DAT, and I have recieved 4 interview requests (Loma Linda, Case Western, San Antonio, Baylor). All of my interviews are in September. Does anyone know the style of interviews for any of these schools use? What are the pros and cons to going to Baylor over San Antonio? Any inside info on the Texas schools?

Thanks - Mateo

Members don't see this ad.

I was in your same situation 3 years ago. I had a choice from all 3 Texas schools. After all three of the interviews my #1 was Houston. Houston by far gave the best interview. It was an all day interview that was set up like a seminar for incoming dental students. It was unique. As far as facilities, I thought San Antonio had the best followed by Baylor in a close second. After talking to students at each school, I thought baylor had by far the best atmosphere. So, after all of this I was still not sure where to go because all the schools had advantages. I then decided to ask different dentist (like 6) graduating from all 3 of the schools on where I should go. Baylor was by far #1 followed by UTSA and none of them said the would go to UT-H if they had the choice. Therefore, I am at baylor. But you have to come up with your own reasons for which school you want to attend. Also, If you are interviewing this early then you are in at both schools

Thanks for the helpful information. The school I want to get into the most is Baylor. I live in the Dallas area, my grandfather went there, my wife has a great job here, and I have visited it twice and was impressed both times.

I scored a 20 academic and 23 perceptual on the DAT, which I hope will help out my cause. My science GPA is a 3.8, but my overall is only a 3.0. I actually graduated from Baylor University with a business degree in '98 and I am taking the prerequistes currently along with other upper level bio classes like physiology, histology, biochemistry, and genetics.

What specific tips could you give me for the interview that I have coming up in September? And do most people get interviews in September or later?

Your advice is greatly appreciated!
-Mateo

Members don't see this ad :)
My tip for interviewing at baylor and the other schools is to be laid back and be yourself. Know why you want to be a dentist and try to read up on the future of dentistry because I was asked a question like this at one of my interviews. Also, be ready to defend why your overall gpa is low. Don't give excuses but tell them how you might have done things different to raise your gpa. Also, I think baylor favors acceptance to people who have family members who attended here because it seems like there are a lot of people in my class whose father or brother attended baylor. Well good luck and let me know if I can help anymore. Also, If you are interviewing this early in september then you have a great chance of getting in. Go bears!!! I graduated from BU in '97

Can you please tell me how soon you got interview request after Case Western received your application from AADSAS ?

Thankd