Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coolio

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long does it typically take for residency programs to contact students for interviews? I'm applying to anesthesiology programs and am about to send my application.

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't take long for them to respond, but it truly depends on the program. You will hear responses within two weeks to a month or maybe not till your dean's letter is submitted (I submitted my info to 25 programs in mid to late september, and recieved 12 interviews. The other programs have either not responded or have informed that they make their interview decisions the first week of november). And it really isn't dependent on the quality of the program. I've gotten interviews from Michigan, Columbia, Penn and U of Chicago...but haven't heard from Northwestern, Brigham and Women's or Cornell. So...it's very random as in all processes. I wouldn't worry though. I AM AS NON-TRADITIONAL A CANDIDATE AS YOU CAN GET (I've been running a software company for the last year in Silicon valley), and I haven't really hit a roadblock in terms of interviews yet. If you are pretty straightforward candidate, you should be able to get many interviews and pick where you want to match. See you on the trail...and write if there are any other questions.

Coolio! Thank goodness I'm not the only one who hasn't finished the application yet! There is hope!

Auh, I'd better go finish. Enough procrastination.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Brownman,

I am also a nontraditional applicant. What are you applying into? I will not be able to have one of my USMLE scores until another month and I worry that I won't get any interviews because I will be late. Do you have any insights. Thanks.

M-

Hey Magree,

Uhmmm...well if it's part 2 (and I'm assuming it is because if you haven't gotten your part one scores...then we gotta a REAL problem on our hands) I wouldn't worry about it. Part 2 really matters for extremely COMPETITVE SPECIALITES aka derm, ortho, ENT, etc. So even if you apply now...you should be fine. The concept of being non-traditional has to do with your resolve. do you truly want to be a physciain..if you did...why did you take time off? etc., etc. Anyway, being non-tradional just requires more explanation...it's not necessarily a handicap. Sometimes they are truly fascinated more than anything. If you did research...you have even less to explain. BE COMFORTABLE..APPLY...YOU SHOULD BE ALL GOOD (unless it's orthopedics, neurosurg, radiology, rad once, derm, ENT or plastics...at which point...non-tradional.is probably not good). Take care...post if you need to talk about anything else.