Intimidated by doctors...bad sign?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SundayT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been volunteering in the ER for a few months now, and I have yet to ask a doctor if I could shadow him/her. I hate to admit it, but I'm a little intimidated by doctors in general...I've always been more on the introverted side, so I'm just wondering if any of you have felt this way too. Could this possibly be a sign that I might not have what it takes to be a doctor? I know I just need to suck it up and ask, but it'd be reassuring to know I'm not alone in feeling this way.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been volunteering in the ER for a few months now, and I have yet to ask a doctor if I could shadow him/her. I hate to admit it, but I'm a little intimidated by doctors in general...I've always been more on the introverted side, so I'm just wondering if any of you have felt this way too. Could this possibly be a sign that I might not have what it takes to be a doctor? I know I just need to suck it up and ask, but it'd be reassuring to know I'm not alone in feeling this way.

I don't think you are alone.

I also used to feel slightly intimidated at first due to my fear of being pimped on something I didn't know, but doctors who are being shadowed are generally not jerks to their premeds. In fact, most are very nice because they like to feel admired... As you begin to interact more with them you'll realize that they are just like you and me with one clear exemption: their amazing knowledge base on somehting we happen to find interesting, medicine.

good luck in your shadowing experience :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kind of like that too :)

When I started cold calling places for shadowing (this was LAST WEEK), I could feel my heart racing just dialing the numbers into my phone. I also had to write down my little speech on a piece of paper so I wouldn't get distracted or too freaked out...

However, once I got a "yes" (albeit by e-mail) and went to do the shadowing, I didn't have any problems talking to the doctor. She was so nice! Of course, the reason she said "yes" was because she loves teaching and talking to students.

So I guess my case isn't exactly like yours, but if you're feeling intimidated, perhaps you could try e-mailing those doctors, if you can find their e-mail addresses. If not, perhaps you could try asking your supervisor or a nurse you know if they could recommend a doctor to ask. Maybe that would help you find a really nice doctor, or feel more comfortable asking people?

Just know that if they say "yes," they probably want to help you--don't worry! :thumbup:

I think most of us are intimidated by what we want to be. I wasn't at all intimidated around doctors until I wanted to become one. Once you talk to a few however, it goes away pretty quickly.

I think it's pretty normal to be intimidated. When I was shadowing, I held back from asking questions sometimes thinking that I would be interrupting his job or that I might ask a stupid question. Like the others have said, that feeling goes away after you are comfortable. I don't think it's a sign that you're not fit to be a doctor. If you're volunteering, ask around to see who is a good doctor to talk to and when it would be good to approach him/her.

Luckily I never had to directly ask the doctor if I could shadow them. My local hospital had a shadowing program one summer and I decided to do it. I arranged the experience through the head recruiter at the hospital and told her my field of interest. At the time it was anesthesiology. I felt intimidated at first, but once I was in the OR shadowing a surgeon, I discovered it wasn't anything big. In fact, the surgeon I ended up spending the day with told me about his past, how he got into medical school, and shared information on tips to how to get into medical school. So, my advice if you're intimidated by asking the doctor directly would be to arrange it through a intermediate source.

I still found attendings kind of intimidating until I was an M4, and I'm not a shy person.

It's no big deal. ER docs especially can tend to be kind of "in the zone" when they are working and unless I am presenting to them I usually just leave them alone. If I was down there on another rotation and saw one of my attending friends I would usually just give them a nod. They're getting paid to move the meat.

I still found attendings kind of intimidating until I was an M4, and I'm not a shy person.

It's no big deal. ER docs especially can tend to be kind of "in the zone" when they are working and unless I am presenting to them I usually just leave them alone. If I was down there on another rotation and saw one of my attending friends I would usually just give them a nod. They're getting paid to move the meat.

weird, I've only shadowed Er attendings, and didn't think they were intimidating at all. I will admit within about 10 minutes I learned how to walk extremely fast. The big thing I think, and this is more general advice, but try to shadow in a teaching hospital. The Docs are really good at paying attention to you, and explaining things on a simple level, and then gradually expanding it. Plus they deal with students all of the time so many of them know how to connect with you.

weird, I've only shadowed Er attendings, and didn't think they were intimidating at all. I will admit within about 10 minutes I learned how to walk extremely fast. The big thing I think, and this is more general advice, but try to shadow in a teaching hospital. The Docs are really good at paying attention to you, and explaining things on a simple level, and then gradually expanding it. Plus they deal with students all of the time so many of them know how to connect with you.
+1 - Doctors in academic settings know how to make people who don't really know what they're doing feel at least peripherally involved.

I might also recommend shadowing at a smaller, rural hospital if that's an option. Since they usually have a lower capacity and smaller staff, there's more opportunity for one-on-one time with the doctor/attending/nurses and all that. Gives a pretty good picture of what they thing. Also, you'd probably be one of the few shadowers they'd get in a given year, so they'd be more willing to talk to you. At least this was my experience. Granted, you probably won't see anything hugely interesting, but there's a fair share of trauma and plenty of the regular minutia that's at any ED.

Thanks for all the advice and encouraging words! It helps to know I'm not the only one feeling this way...I guess I should also give you some background of myself. I'm not exactly pre-med yet; I graduated last year with a social science degree and am now thinking of going back to school (possibly a post-bacc) to pursue medicine. I want to explore and really get a feel of what it's like to be a doctor, which is why I want to shadow one. I think this is a huge reason as to why I'm feeling intimidated b/c I don't feel confident or "qualified" in my knowledge of medicine/healthcare yet. I realize that I could've written this in the post-bacc forum, but I had a feeling that many of you have shadowed or are in the process of shadowing, so I thought this might be a better place to express my concerns. So if any of you have new tips after knowing a little bit more about me, I'd greatly appreciate those as well! And again, thank you for all of your responses! :)

As an ER volunteer, I definitely feel that way. I smile and say hello when we pass / make eye contact / etc, but most of my experience is with nurses, techs, and EMT's in the ER specifically because the physicians always look so damn busy and I don't want to bug them, I just want to make sure everyone has what they need!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kind of like that too :)

When I started cold calling places for shadowing (this was LAST WEEK), I could feel my heart racing just dialing the numbers into my phone. I also had to write down my little speech on a piece of paper so I wouldn't get distracted or too freaked out...

However, once I got a "yes" (albeit by e-mail) and went to do the shadowing, I didn't have any problems talking to the doctor. She was so nice! Of course, the reason she said "yes" was because she loves teaching and talking to students.

What exactly do the Doc's let you do when you shadow? I would imagine that you can't go into patient rooms because of privacy issues. Or does the doc ask the pt if it is alright if you come in the room?

What exactly do the Doc's let you do when you shadow? I would imagine that you can't go into patient rooms because of privacy issues. Or does the doc ask the pt if it is alright if you come in the room?

When I shadowed in the ER the doctor would usually ask the patient if it was ok for me to come listen to the exam and questions he asked. Most people were definitely ok with it and it was a lot of fun!

As an ER volunteer, I definitely feel that way. I smile and say hello when we pass / make eye contact / etc, but most of my experience is with nurses, techs, and EMT's in the ER specifically because the physicians always look so damn busy and I don't want to bug them, I just want to make sure everyone has what they need!

I've had the same experience, it took me around 3-4 months to get to know most of the ER staff (as an ER volunteer). Seemed like the MDs were always rushing from one room to another & didn't have time to chat, ever. I did hear from an ER doc I know that they tend to be somewhat "clique-ish". This helped me as a not-shy person to understand why my friendly overtures were often cut short by the MDs, I started to just take it as a sign that everyone was busy.

I suspect part of the reason MDs don't seem so outgoing in my experience (when they are working) is within my hospital system, the ER docs rotate through 3-4 different hospitals, each one has probably 50-100 staff, the staff changes fairly regularly. They just don't have time to meet/know everyone, instead they need to think of someone as an RN, PA, EMT, etc.

Also, if they make a mistake, the patient can be impacted and they may be sued. Or worse in the case of some of the sicker/more contagious patients; the MDs just need to have their focus 100% on work much of the time.

I'd bet it'll get better in the next few months once the MDs see you around more, often I'll just stay in a room when the MD comes in & I'll ask him/her if it is OK to observe, they've always said yes.

My volunteer coordinator was pretty adamant that we, as volunteers, don't get involved in anything that isn't on our little volunteer agreement, i.e. don't try to get involved / watch the patient care. Luckily, I've had other shadowing experiences, and they were all very pleasant (not that the ER is unpleasant, everyone is actually very pleasant, just busy!).

In my experiences the doctors introduce me as a future medical student and tell the patient that I will be observing. There hasn't been a single time that I have been asked to leave even for extremely personal exams. As far as DOING that varies with situation and physician. One of the docs I shadows likes to have me at least listen to heart and lung sounds of every patient, and touch things like swollen glands, he is really active with me. The other doc tends not to do that with every patient but has a lot more time for communicating and answering questions. It's all up to the physician and the surroundings. I am shadowing the First doc I mentioned on his trauma rotation at a huge hospital in a few weeks and I am expecting to not touch or talk much, that will be a more visual experience I am expecting.

Would all of you recommend that I try a different department instead since the doctors in the ED are always so busy?

+1 - Doctors in academic settings know how to make people who don't really know what they're doing feel at least peripherally involved.

True statement.

Would all of you recommend that I try a different department instead since the doctors in the ED are always so busy?

You might want to try to shadow in a primary care setting if you can. Primary care clinics at a teaching hospital or a free clinic would probably be more open to pre-med observers, and there's not quite as much going on so you'd be able to "soak it all in" a little bit more.

I think it's normal to be at least a little intimidated at first. Even the youngest doctor will have 7+ additional years of school/training after completing residency which you haven't even begun so I don't think it's too weird to feel awkward and out of place.

I find myself intimidated when I'm around people who know a lot more about whats going on, whether it be a class or sports and anything like that. But once you get good at whats going on it fades. After medical school and more experience in the medical field you'll be able to hang with them docs and not worry about anything

thanks, everyone! it's nice to know i'm not alone. :) i'll take all of this into consideration...

I'm two days late, but I hope no one minds me bumping this to reply.

In my experience, the doctors don't let you "do" anything, technically speaking. In fact, one doc I shadowed (just this Tuesday) specifically said to "be a fly on the wall." Now, this is a bit of an exaggeration, because he talked to me while examining patients, told me to note some interesting details, and didn't mind my asking questions or chatting with patients. But for the most part, "a fly on the wall" is what you'll be.

I've read on this site that some pre-meds were lucky enough to perform some simple procedures on the patients they were observing, but this seems like a huge liability for the doctor, and unless you shadow the doc for a really long time (unlike me), you probably won't be allowed to "do" anything.

Of course, you will be allowed to see some patients. Usually the nurse/medical assistant asks permission from the patient, and then writes "OK" on the corner of the patient's file. The doctor will probably talk to you about how doctors think, and may even quiz you! But in my experience, all quizzing has been low pressure and the doctors were always impressed (or pretended to be impressed ;)) with what I knew (even if I thought it was pretty basic knowledge).

Finally, I'll give out some gratuitous advice on finding doctors you don't know to shadow, in hopes that one of you will benefit:

(1) Cold calling works.
(2) Try your local medical school; academic physicians seem to be very willing to take on a student, and their e-mail addresses are usually readily available. You can also look for the specialties that really interest you, or people who perform the "cool" procedures.
(3) Be persistent, but in my case it was not difficult at all to find willing doctors (I found 3 on my first try).

When I shadowed in the ER the doctor would usually ask the patient if it was ok for me to come listen to the exam and questions he asked. Most people were definitely ok with it and it was a lot of fun!

And you are always welcome to take the initiative and ask yourself. When I was shadowing in an OBGYN clinic many times the NP ( I went to nursing school prior to becoming pre-med) would forget to check with patients. I would kindly ask if it was okay if I stayed (especially during Pap Smears)and 9/10 said it was no problem. Patients know you have to learn somewhere and sometimes feel like they are doing a good deed in helping you become a better doctor (or in my case a nurse at the time). Have fun shadowing is a blast tons of learning without the pressures of needing to perform