Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

intl students: how do you pay for your education?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003], Sep 1, 2002.

1. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member
    7+ Year Member

Any of the international students (non-residents) currently going into a US medical school, please, please, please, share how do you pay for your education. I found out that some schools are asking for money up-front for all 4 years. I do not really have 200k in my pocket. I understand that all students deal with it in some special way so I just wopndering how I could getthis problem solved. There are NO government programs for students who receive medical education in the US from the country where I am from.

Here I was thinking about some option:

1) apply for a loan (but nobody is not going to give away 200k at one time)

2) win a lottery :)

I really want to go to a articular school so I am thinking how can I solve this problem. Any advice or feedback will be really appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

7+ Year Member

4. FutureM.D.

FutureM.D. Psychology major
    7+ Year Member

win the lottery.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

5. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

7+ Year Member

that does not help :p and please, do not roll the eye on me. This a pretty serious question.
    I am just 20 and want to go to med school. But then somebody just asks me to come up with 200G from my own pocket. I could've found a consigner and stuff but most of the banks would not loan $200G at once. If there were a requirement for American students to come up with amount of money at once, I do not think that would be any doctors in the US. Nevertheless, I am still not losing my hope in going to the US medical school and am trying to find out a solution.
    How did other intl students solve this problem?

6. ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

OOPS spiderman.... I accidentally started a new thread... the answer is at the top of the forum... see bank loans

7. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I think most of them actually have the 200k from family reserves. Perhaps you should consider a medical education in your home country. Aren't loans available there? You could likely return for a residency although there is a great reduction in the spots for FMGs now. You could also start work now on obtaining U.S. citizenship.

8. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

7+ Year Member

how do you come up 200G from your own pocket ? :eek:

9. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Well, of course an entering medical student wouldn't have $200,000, but I believe the medical school is expecting their family to have such an amount set aside, or to be able to acquire it through private loans.

10. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

7+ Year Member

I do not know anyone either from US or from my country who can (or want) to pay 200G for his son/daughter.

11. randomlogik

randomlogik Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You mentioned using bank loans. Obviously, you will not find one bank that will loan you the entire thing. Instead, work on getting several different loans and kind of piece it together. I am sure that you can find private/ non-government sources that offer good student loans if you look around. I wish you the best of luck with this. :) I know that it is hard and somewhat unfair.

12. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

7+ Year Member

Does anyone know any specific loans/programs for intl students?

13. Fenrezz

Fenrezz AT Stills Worst Nightmare
    7+ Year Member

Most bank loans I think will work with international students as long as you have a cosigner.

I don't think taking out four $50,000 loans will work, though, because when you try to borrow the second 50k, you'll probably get turned down. After getting approved for loans, I applied for a simple clothing store credit card and got turned down because of the huge loan I just acquired for my first year of medical school.

I've never heard of, and think it's preposterous, a school asking for the full amount up front. Basically what they are saying is, "we only accept filthy rich international students".

To be honest, as much as you want to go to medical school, I don't know that you want to accumulate that much debt right off the bat. With private loans, interest begins immediately. That's a LOT of interest! Not only that, but what happens if you decide to drop out or something happens and you can't finish? (not saying that you will or anything, just hypothetically). Instead of being 50k in debt, you'll be 200k.

If I were you I'd consider going to a school that is more logical about what they expect financially from international students. I'm assuming there are schools that will take a normal yearly tuition, of course.

Which school are you considering, by the way?

14. randomlogik

randomlogik Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I have a friend that is applying as an international student. It is my understanding that it is standard policy that the med schools require that the money for all four years of tuition be put into a special bank account....or something like that.
    As for where to get the money, I guess I wouldnt really be the expert on that. But, I will say that I definately would not give up on going to med school because of this! Talk to the schools, start doing your own research, etc. It will be hard, but not impossible.

15. ussdfiant

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Why don't you go to school in your native country? Wouldn't that ease the loan problem?

16. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

7+ Year Member

I want to go to an US medical school.

17. ussdfiant

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Good luck.

18. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Most people wanted to go somewhere specific and aren't getting to...

19. qweewq11

qweewq11 Smiley orgy organizer
    7+ Year Member

There's this urban legend about some chick who put herself thru Harvard by being a call girl... :p

20. MacGyver

MacGyver Membership Revoked
    Removed

Well I think the US med schools do have a reason for having different financial standards for foreign students.

You have to admit its a bigger financial risk for a foreign student, because the consequences for them defaulting on loans are not as severe for US students. The foreign student could just run back to his home country and not have to worry about the 150k he defaulted on, whereas the US students would have that black mark follow them wherever they go in the states, making it impossible for them to get a car or house loan and ruin their credit forever (unless they completley falsify their identity, fake their own death, etc)

21. Legend

Legend Super Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Which school are you talking about?

Is it Wash U by any chance?
    Then just f&*k them (unless you get their merit scholarship) and look into other schools.

There are many US schools that do not ask 200k upfront.

Also, if you are interested in research, MSTP is another option.

22. Challenge

10+ Year Member

As far as I know, if you don't have a green card or the U.S. citizenship, you can't apply to U.S. medical school.
    But, you CAN apply to dental school.

23. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

that is not correct: some medical schools only take citizens/residents, some also take international students.

24. efex101

efex101 attending
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    From my understanding and this is coming from a friend of mine who is an international student, once accepted to a US medical school you *do* have to show proof (aka have the $$$) that you have the amount for the four years of medical school. I do not know neither does she if she gets accepted how in the world will she get this money. Her parents cannot help her out at all. I guess that medical schools here in the US are just like medical school overseas. If you apply to a medical school that is not in your native country you do have to show proof of mula. Maybe someone else knows more.

25. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

7+ Year Member

Well, I know that I will still end up getting a loan. Most and more schools ask for money upfront because some of them get burned out when intl student go to the school for a year or two and then leave without paying. The reasons maybe very different: from visa problems to problems at their home country.

26. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

7+ Year Member

anyone else? I did not hear from any international students who are in med school right now.

27. FutureM.D.

FutureM.D. Psychology major
    7+ Year Member

Oh my goodness! How many times do I have to tellyou? WIN THE LOTTERY!!:laugh: :laugh: :rolleyes: :laugh: :p

28. sluox

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    The best situation I have heard was a kid at JHU. He's MSTP and because he had exceptional stats, Merck offered to pay for his education. JHU has on its admissions website that intl students must pay upfront. Most private schools admit intl' students contingient upon showing proof of "ability" to pay. i.e. if your parents have steady over $100,000 annual income, you are probably fine. Otherwise it's unlikely that you'd be able to get the money for all four years. Federal or state financial aid programs are not available for intl's. Neither are NIH grants. The best bet is to be exceptional (i.e. ~40 MCAT >3.9 GPA PLUS out of this world research (I'm talking a few first author articles published on major journals (not in press)) and some schools would pick up the bill through private agencies...at this level of competitiveness for MSTP, your background is pretty much irrelevant. Otherwise, you might have better luck getting a greencard first.

There is a thread somewhere in MSTP Forum where the schools that actually accept intl's were listed. Most state schools will NOT accept any intl's, regardless of the program. (some, such as University of Maryland, accept canadians.)

Again, if you are only a borderline candidate, I think the best shot you have is to get a masters, then apply for a job in the states. Wait for two years and get a greencard, then apply. Otherwise you'd be wasting your money and time...Please consult your pre-med advisor for more information. (I just obtained my greencard recently and my premed advisor strongly recommended against applying without a greencard.)

29. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

7+ Year Member

Yes, one of the school I am talking about is Wash U

30. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

7+ Year Member

not funny. ok, what are the winning numbers?

31. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

7+ Year Member

I cannot call myself "exceptional." Well, I am still looking forward to hear from other Intl students abouyt how they financed their education.

32. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

hmmm, well I'm not sure about your chances in the money lottery, but there is the greencard lottery, which would also solve your problems and probably has a higher rate of success...

33. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

7+ Year Member

And also I have found out how little many people (for example academic advisors or admissions people) know about all this intl bussines. However, they are alway eager to advice a person something that is simply is not true.

34. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

7+ Year Member

I know.......... I never win there

35. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

7+ Year Member

So that MSTP thing, do they pay for your education or what? I do not exceptionally good stats.

36. Legend

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    They pay for everything. (stipend included)

37. Legend

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    what country r u from?

38. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I'll repeat here...MSTP grants are not given to internationals. They require you to be a U.S. citizen. The U.S. government isn't any more interested in losing its investment to a foreign country than are private businesses. You may be able to find a school to dig up funds on their own, but that will require you to not just have great stats, but absolutely the best they have ever seen sort of stats.

39. ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

oo.k check it.... I said this in another thread... as a last resort you might be able to get your parents to get a second (or third) morgage on your house... that should be able to secure at least 200K what country are you from, I might be able to help you?
    I'm Canadian but have two other passports(yeah lived in MANY countries...) so let me know....

40. I to A

I to A Member
    7+ Year Member

Funding for MSTP is available to all applicants irrespective of their citizenship. Check with the school where you are interested.

UAB does not admit non-US citizens, non-resident aliens into its MD program, but welcomes applications from everyone for its MSTP program. Aren't MSTP programs fully funded by the school ?

Many of the private schools offer loans to international applicants. Columbia, Harvard (harvard says that it cannot meet just $6000 per year in the case of foreigners) are some. Many others are out there-all the ones that I have applied give out loans and some good scholarships.

http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/student/finaid/pdf/MDHDBK02.pdf
    ( pages 11 & 12 might be of relevance to you)

Wash U sent a letter to me reminding to start looking at collecting documents to show proof of 200k. I am not sending in my secondary there.

Good luck.

41. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

7+ Year Member

well, what if in my country there are no morgages for homes, not talking about second morgages. My parents live in an apartment :(