Intra-Africa Travel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDrummer

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm heading down to Tanzania this June to do some volunteering type stuff.

I was wondering, does anybody have any experience booking airfares to/from/within Africa? I'm trying the major online brokers, but finding that almost all of the fares are ridiculously expensive. Would I have better luck purchasing fares through a travel agent once I get to the country? I need to figure out a way to get from Dar es Salaam to Kilimanjaro, and then from Nairobi back to London. Seems like the only reasonably priced option is to take a 24 hour flight through Qatar... any hints from someone who has done this before?

Also, does anybody have any experience volunteering with International Service Learning?

Members don't see this ad.

You might want to email Brent Eaton @ [email protected]. He is a Peace Corp Volunteer from Texas who lives in Sirisia, Kenya. He is a seasoned traveler throughout Kenya and might give you some good advice.

Hi DrDrummer,
I just randomly came across your post and wanted to let you know that I am going to Tanzania with ISL this June as well! In 2005 I traveled with ISL to Costa Rica and Nicaragua and it changed my life. What are your exact trip dates, and are you a medical student or a doctor?
I booked my flight through expedia, and just booked the whole thing from Houston, TX to Amsterdam to Nairobi and then JRO. I'll have the same trip back. Looking forward to hearing from you! :)