intraperitoneal vessels?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know which of the following vessels are intraperitoneal:
inferior mesenteric artery
ascending left colic artery
sigmoid artery
or
superior rectal artery?

Members don't see this ad.

I had to go to my Snell for this one (ps I hate you for making me open this book again). Alright, intraperitoneal means that the structure in question is completely surrounded by visceral peritoneum.

The rectum, ascending/descending colon are retroperitoneal. The superior rectal artery supplies the proximal rectum, so rule that out. The inferior mesenteric artery supplies the descending colon, so that can be ruled out too. It doesn't make sense to have the sigmoid colon be intraperitoneal when the two things it's connected to (dec. colon and rectum) are both retroperitoneal. So I think its safe to say you can rule that out as well.

That leaves us with the ascending left colic artery, which is a branch of the inferior mesenteric artery. Although I just said the inferior mesenteric artery is retroperitoneal, the ascending left colic artery anastomoses with the middle colic artery... a structure that I know for sure is intraperitoneal. The middle colic is a branch of the s. mesenteric artery (an intraperitoneal structure), and it supplies the transverse colon (another intraperitoneal structure) So I guess you can say the left colic is intraperitoneal by guilt of association with the middle colic.

Middle colic (intraperitoneal) <=anastomose=> ascending left colic

The sigmoid colon is intraperitoneal. Could be that one.