intrathecal pump question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasgasgas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard of some docs (anesthesiology-pain) compounding their own medications for pump refills. Of course everything is done sterile. They say especially in light of the whole issue with sending out pump refills to compounding pharmacies that the only person they trust is themselves. I thought this was interesting as I'd never heard of it, always thought we had to send it out to a pharmacy to get it done. They state they do it in the office, when the patient arrives for refill, they mix the medication themselves, and then do the refill. They've done this for years, so I'm also assuming that they bill for the medications themselves? How does this work? Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard of some docs (anesthesiology-pain) compounding their own medications for pump refills. Of course everything is done sterile. They say especially in light of the whole issue with sending out pump refills to compounding pharmacies that the only person they trust is themselves. I thought this was interesting as I'd never heard of it, always thought we had to send it out to a pharmacy to get it done. They state they do it in the office, when the patient arrives for refill, they mix the medication themselves, and then do the refill. They've done this for years, so I'm also assuming that they bill for the medications themselves? How does this work? Anyone know?

i know of only one doc who does this, and i would be weary about this doc, and this practice in general. but im a wimp

It is a very very bad idea. There is no way a doc in an office setting would have the sterile conditions and equipment needed to assure compounding of their own intrathecal meds. That setup would be worse than NECC.....