Intriguing question from a friend-Would you continue to pursue your pharmacy if.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matt48

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you won a lottery for couple million bucks, would you still spend another 4 years after your B.S./B.A. degree to pursue your PharmD. ?

This question struck me... I think I would spend my life doing something else (travel the world? enjoy life?) if I won the lottery. It's not that I dont like pharmacy, it's just that whats the point anymore, I already got a bachelor degree, it's time to do something that I always dream of, now, while I'm still young and am capable of enjoying those activities, instead of waiting till i'm 65 to pursue my dream.

What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

lottery winnings: $2,000,000

-taxes (50%): $1,000,000
-divorce (50%): $500,000
-child support ($2,500/month for 18 years or $540,000): -$40,000

i'd still do it.

i'd still do it.

prenup! explain to your s.o. that it's like car insurance. you DON'T want to get into a car accident, but you still buy car insurance!!

I actually don't if I would get a prenup :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)

i'd still do it.

Interesting answer, however keep in mind that most prepharmacy students are not married yet. So you can eliminate divorce and child support.

I would probably want to start my own business of some sort. I would honestly have to say it would be really hard to stay motivated when you know you have a large sump of cash sitting in the bank. With the pharmD you would have enough capital to start up your own pharmacy.

I'd still going to pharmacy school. If I won $10M+, I wouldn't go.

couple million dollars is nothing

my "cut and run" fee is $20M after taxes...because if you stick that into an account/investments at a conservative 5%/yr, the interest (simple) will be about $100k a year.

So then I can live on $100k a year without even touching the principle.

Maybe more like $25M, so I can play with the $5M on whatever crap I want to buy then leave the $20M in the bank to earn said interest/dividends.

I'd still work. A couple million (1 or 2) really doesn't go too far in a lifetime unless you invest it, which is what I would probably do. Plus I don't know if I could stand sitting at home all the time without something to do. And with my taste in cars I know I'd blow a million or two in no time :laugh:

I'd still do it with $100M. 2 million would get me through school without having to work (and comfortably, too!), but even if I was set up for life I would finish. Why? Because I invested so much time getting in to school that it would feel like a waste. Also, believe it or not, I entered this career for more reasons than the salary. I'm not the type of person that is ever going to truly retire, and with that much money I would need some kind of structure in my life to keep me out of trouble.

Anyway, prizes that large are normally annuities, so it's not like they dump 2 million on your front step and see you later...

Last edited:
couple million dollars is nothing

my "cut and run" fee is $20M after taxes...because if you stick that into an account/investments at a conservative 5%/yr, the interest (simple) will be about $100k a year.

So then I can live on $100k a year without even touching the principle.

Maybe more like $25M, so I can play with the $5M on whatever crap I want to buy then leave the $20M in the bank to earn said interest/dividends.
Your math is wrong...5% of $20 million is $1 million every year.

For me, it is one-tenth that. $2 million will yield $100K/yr at 5% interest, and if I suddenly won $2 million (after taxes), I'd just take the rest of my life to spend the interest.

I'd live quite a nice life for myself off the interest, but I'd still like to know if I could make it into pharm school. So I'd stick with it.

Actually, I'd probably try medical and optometry as well. It'll give me something to do with my time. And if I fail, there's always investments.

As a side, what's the closest anybody here has gotten to winning the lotto?

Personally, I don't play, but I had a ticket with 2 numbers plus mega = $11

Luck isn't on my side

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd live quite a nice life for myself off the interest, but I'd still like to know if I could make it into pharm school. So I'd stick with it.

Actually, I'd probably try medical and optometry as well. It'll give me something to do with my time. And if I fail, there's always investments.

As a side, what's the closest anybody here has gotten to winning the lotto?

Personally, I don't play, but I had a ticket with 2 numbers plus mega = $11

Luck isn't on my side

I got one number one time. That doesn't pay anything, but it was still exciting to see my one number come up.

If you won a lottery for couple million bucks, would you still spend another 4 years after your B.S./B.A. degree to pursue your PharmD. ?

This question struck me... I think I would spend my life doing something else (travel the world? enjoy life?) if I won the lottery. It's not that I dont like pharmacy, it's just that whats the point anymore, I already got a bachelor degree, it's time to do something that I always dream of, now, while I'm still young and am capable of enjoying those activities, instead of waiting till i'm 65 to pursue my dream.

What would you do?

Hitting the lottery does not make you set for life. Sure, you can enjoy the sweet life for a while, but when the money runs out, then you're broke and have no backup plan. Personally, if I hit the lotto, not only am I still going to pharmacy school, but that money is going straight towards tuition. And hookers. Tuition and hookers.

Hitting the lottery does not make you set for life. Sure, you can enjoy the sweet life for a while, but when the money runs out, then you're broke and have no backup plan. Personally, if I hit the lotto, not only am I still going to pharmacy school, but that money is going straight towards tuition. And hookers. Tuition and hookers.

True that. Think of all the Valtrex and Combivir you can get with a couple mill. Hell you can even go commando during your sexcapades. Just watch out for that Hep.

True that. Think of all the Valtrex and Combivir you can get with a couple mill. Hell you can even go commando during your sexcapades. Just watch out for that Hep.

Haha...you guys are sick!

Hell...with a couple mill, I'm going for those high-class, disease free hoochies. I'm gonna get me the Spitzer Special. Or just rent out a room at the Wild Horse Brothel in Vegas.

Your math is wrong...5% of $20 million is $1 million every year.

For me, it is one-tenth that. $2 million will yield $100K/yr at 5% interest, and if I suddenly won $2 million (after taxes), I'd just take the rest of my life to spend the interest.

holy crap you're right...man, i can calculate doses, find the 2nd derivative of something, and spit out real estate calcs....but apparently i cannot multiply if my life depended on it. hahahah.

okay new answer, i'd walk away at $10M after taxes & lump sum. I'd blow $5M on random things (vegas, endowed chairs, travel), then take the other half and invest it conservatively/live off the interest ($250k...after taxes... more like $150k, ballparking here).

If you bump it up to $50 million- then screw pharmacy....

All I would need at that point would be my private island in the Caribbean, a staff to tend to my desires, a hammock, and a couple of playmates :)

I would buy an apartment complex and live off the rent money. But 2 mill isn't really enough for a lot of units. Maybe 10 units. But that would be the life, living off rent money!

Invest in more real estate and sit on my ass.

Wow there are many good ideas here. If you know how to spend the money wisely, you will be more than "set" for life. If you don't, I guess not even Michael Jackson's wealth can support you.

Sorry I don't mean to offend anyone who loves Michael Jackson but you gotta admit he must spend a LOT to be in debt considering his enormous income.

Sorry I don't mean to offend anyone who loves Michael Jackson but you gotta admit he must spend a LOT to be in debt considering his enormous income.

Oh he spent a ton, but his estate is worth WAY more than his debts, so I don't know whether you can consider that responsible or not

I would drop pharmacy and buy everything on the McDonald's "Value Menu" in a Chevy Caprice on 24s.

I would drop pharmacy and buy everything on the McDonald's "Value Menu" in a Chevy Caprice on 24s.

BAM, brotha got floor seats mang hahahaHaha

I could win $500 Million and I'd still do it. Still an honor to be part of the first graduating class of a pharmacy school. I'd be bored to hell without a day job. Then again, with that kind of money, I could go buy a ****load of cars, mod them, and then go into autocross.

I think I'd open a pharmacy with the money.

For $2mil, I'd invest, and going to pharmacy school would still be a part of that investment. I still think becoming a pharmacist has a lot of value personally. If it were $200mil, perhaps the dedication required to invest that money properly would require me to go to business school instead. :hungover:

Regardless of how much money I win, I think I'll still go to pharm school just because I enjoy being around people. After my bachelor degree and working full time I'm beginning to miss school life just because you dont have any major resposibilities.

After pharm school I'll probably just work about 16hrs/week and travel around the world in my free time. As much as I hate working with some customers in the pharmacy, i have to admit its sort of fun sharing your funny, disgusting and stupid experiences with other people in the same field of work.

After my bachelor degree and working full time I'm beginning to miss school life just because you dont have any major resposibilities.

Yeah...I said that too, but then once I started school, I missed putting in 8 hours and going home and not have anything to do with work.

Yeah...I said that too, but then once I started school, I missed putting in 8 hours and going home and not have anything to do with work.

LOL, quoted for truth.

When I was finishing up my very long undergraduate, I was like, "YES! Finally, I can go to work (or join the Army, lol!) where I can just work, then go home and have X amount of hours with nothing to do except Y!"

Then I found out that just working sucks,and I wanted to go back to school. It's an endless cycle! Ahhhhhh!

LOL, quoted for truth.

When I was finishing up my very long undergraduate, I was like, "YES! Finally, I can go to work (or join the Army, lol!) where I can just work, then go home and have X amount of hours with nothing to do except Y!"

Then I found out that just working sucks,and I wanted to go back to school. It's an endless cycle! Ahhhhhh!

Grass is greener, my friend...rather, both grasses are green, it's just wherever side you happened to be on, your dog follows and takes a dump on your foot.

LOL, quoted for truth.

If it sucks, then you chose the wrong letters of the alphabet to represent your schedule. :smuggrin:

Grass is greener, my friend...rather, both grasses are green, it's just wherever side you happened to be on, your dog follows and takes a dump on your foot.

What is it with you and dog ****?

If I won a couple million $, lets say 5.:D I would still go back to school, it is too boring for me to stay at home all day. I'd rather go out and be interactive, work hard, and make an image for myself. My plan is to travel a lot after I become a pharmacist and have fun, unless I reach my goal a few mil. won't last me long anyways. Also considering housing and other bills that keep stacking up. :D

I could win $500 Million and I'd still do it. Still an honor to be part of the first graduating class of a pharmacy school. I'd be bored to hell without a day job. Then again, with that kind of money, I could go buy a ****load of cars, mod them, and then go into autocross.

I think I'd open a pharmacy with the money.

I could win a billion and I'd still do it.