Introduction and have I wasted the last year and a half of my life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redking

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you opposed to out of state MD schools? Use the GPA calculators (available somewhere on this site) to give us your AAMC and AACOMAS GPA since each of the apps like to calculate them separately.

I think it's silly to limit yourself to the TMDSAS application only for lower tuition. If that's what is stopping you, then yes you've wasted your time. But if you're open to applying broadly, then no.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not opposed to out of state schools , I'm opposed to paying annual tuition in the 40k+ range which pretty much is the same thing. Didn't know this site had gpa calculators. I'll look for them, thank you. Too bad there isn't a program which then ran your numbers and med school stats to see which schools you averages you best matched.

TCOM is 13k a year and 19k with fees. Their overall gpa and mcat are both higher than mine, not to mention I have heard that medical schools don't like former lawyers so you need numbers higher than their averages.
I don't know about the former lawyers thing. That sounds like BS to me.

As far as TCOM tuition, that's still cheaper than most cheap in state md tuition. I personally wish my tuition was reduced to double of what TCOM charges.

Anecdotal, but I know of 2 people who were accepted with lower/similar stats. One was out of state (had ties to Texas though).

I don't know. Thinking about finances as a limiting factor is a recipe for no acceptances in my opinion. If you're in this, you've gotta be in 100% and want it 100% - not want it only if it's cheap. If you will only attend X school because of Y cheap tuition, then you aren't dedicated enough.

Your best bet is to forget tuition, apply broadly, and see which schools bite, and THEN consider finances when you have some options on your hands. I'm a non-trad with a spouse so I'm not totally flippant about how much tuition costs (hello state school!) BUT we didn't let tuition drive our initial choices about where to apply - we addressed it later when I actually had acceptances and choices. THEN it becomes relevant.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm looking at LECOM but can't find their last years stats

Your GPA is going to be a deal breaker for all TX MD schools, and with your current MCAT, probably for TCOM as well. Unless you vastly improve on your MCAT, you probably should focus on OOS DO schools. You could also try UIW in San Antonio.

Hi,

I just turned 34 this year. I graduated law school in 2011, worked in law until January 2016.
Spring Semester 2016 Courses:
Bio I A
Gen Chem I A
Phys I A
Stats A

Summer 2016 Courses:
Chem II A

Fall 2016 Courses:
Bio II A
O Chem I A
Phys II A

Spring 2017 Courses:

Bio Chem - A
MCAT :

Chem & Phys 124
CARS 128
Bio & Biochem 125
Psych/Soc 127
504 overall

GPA per TMDSAS
Science GPA 4.0
Undergrad GPA 3.37
Law school GPA 3.05
Overall GPA 3.25

I had no idea that my overall gpa was going to be as low as it is (I had a very poor freshman year many years ago) and my mcat score is lower than my practice tests so that was a huge disappointment. Are there schools out there that will take me with these stats? Do I stand a chance this cycle or should I just not apply and retake the MCAT. I'm in no way opposed to D.O. schools I just want to avoid the $40+K yearly tuition. Any recommendations as to which schools I might have a chance at or whether I should just retake the mcat and take a bunch of courses to bring up my gpa would be appreciated.

Maybe your situation isn't as bad as you think it is? What is your postbacc GPA without law school? Anyone familiar with law school knows that law school GPAs tend to be very low. When I used to work in biglaw HR, I noticed graduates coming from certain law schools with a 3.5 GPA in the top 1% of their class. When you apply, apply broadly to some top schools if they interest you, and a bunch of other ranks. Make sure that you mention in your personal statement or in secondaries or somewhere that you ranked well in law school if you did, or that law schools are tough with grades, or point out your other strong points academically. Good luck!

i sure hope that some of you are not correct and that schools are able to see a difference between recent grades and very old grades. Post bach is 4.0, all pre-reques.

Last edited:
another question is what is the bigger problem, my mcat or my gpa? Should I retake the mcat or just crank out the 57 credits that I would need to qualify under TX's fresh start program? That is an idea. TX has a program where you can erase grades older than 10 years and then you only need 90 credits to apply to med school. I could crank out 57 credits in the next year with a 4.0 or close to it and apply with a 504 mcat and a high gpa. The other alternative is the middle road. Crank out 18 - 21 credits this fall semester and 4 or so in the spring while I study for the mcat and re-apply with a higher mcat but only slightly higher gpa.

another question is what is the bigger problem, my mcat or my gpa? Should I retake the mcat or just crank out the 57 credits that I would need to qualify under TX's fresh start program? That is an idea. TX has a program where you can erase grades older than 10 years and then you only need 90 credits to apply to med school. I could crank out 57 credits in the next year with a 4.0 or close to it and apply with a 504 mcat and a high gpa. The other alternative is the middle road. Crank out 18 - 21 credits this fall semester and 4 or so in the spring while I study for the mcat and re-apply with a higher mcat but only slightly higher gpa.

AFS is a great option - if you ace all your courses. I'm currently using it and two years into it am still holding my 4.0. I'm not sure that everyone does that however.

AFS is a great option - if you ace all your courses. I'm currently using it and two years into it am still holding my 4.0. I'm not sure that everyone does that however.
also, are you planning on completing a new bachelors or just 90 credit hours?

TMDSAS counts law school GPA? I have been under the impression that AMCAS and AACOMAS do not count law school grades. Does anyone know for sure?

Also, is there a disinclination on the part of Adcoms to admit former lawyers? I haven't heard that before.

hi

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Your MCAT.