Introduction...aspiring 31 yo dentist.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcpom25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! My name is James, I'm 31 years old and living/working in the suburbs of Chicago. I graduated from Missouri State way back in 2002 with a B.S. in Biology, cum gpa in the 3.77 neighborhood. I intended on attending medical school after taking a year off, but ended up in seminary and then working full-time as a Children's Pastor. (long story)

Being in the ministry for the last few years has been incredibly fulfilling; however, I still feel drawn to enter the healthcare field before I lose my nerve and my motivation. At the present time, I'm thinking that dentistry is the right avenue for me. My dentist is around my age and he's enlightened me to what a rewarding career it can be. I think my experience caring for people in ministry will help me greatly in the field as well.

I have obvious reservations, mostly revolving the reabsorption of massive amounts of science material that have long left my memory. While I feel my undergrad record is solid and I even have 3.5 years of experience teaching Anatomy and Physiology labs as an adjunct at a university, I'm wondering what else I should to to boost my chances of getting into a great school. Obviously, the DAT is very important. I can totally cover the shadowing, but not sure about research opps here.
Other than that, any advice?

I'd love to connect with others who've entered dental school or are applying later in life. I need some support!!

Thanks and God bless!

James

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what I can offer in terms of concrete recommendations for dentistry, but I do wish you the best - you're certainly not alone! Given your background, it sounds to me as if you'll be a wonderful dentist.