Introduction to Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

locoindio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an Indian American male.....a recent post-bacc taking pre-med classes to apply to medical school. My undergrad science gpa is virtually non-existent bc I started out pre-med in undergrad and dropped it after a yr. Now I'm back at it. I am starting out with a 2.5 or so science gpa after having taken a total of less than 10 classes. Now that some time has passed. I have yet to take the MCAT, and I really want to set myself apart from all the other medical school applicants, bc my grades are not going to be stellar. I've heard it looks good to med schools if your grades are improving as you go. Any tips to make myself unique?

Loco

Members don't see this ad.

There's virtually nothing that will make you "unique." The following will help your application:
1) more time since your early academic difficulties = better
2) rock the MCAT
3) about 50-60 credits post bacc at 4.0 (or nearly) will make you very competitive, especially with a 35+ MCAT.
4) rock the MCAT, or did I say that already?
5) make sure you get clinical experience: shadowing, hospital volunteer, etc. and be able to talk about how specifically it confirmed your interest in medicine.

I don't think it makes much sense to try to be unique. I think the goal should be "compelling," if that makes any sense. People should be able to sense in you that you're on a journey that won't stop until you're a physician.

Best wishes, and keep us updated on your progress - really! It's fun to see how other SDNers mature through the process, and suffer through all the crap we've been through.

It took about 14 years, but I'm in!

Damn !!! People like you just amaze me! You go Liver and Congrats on the acceptances! ;)