Introductory Chemistry vs General Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LTbulldogs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if med schools care whether or not you take Intro to Chem or G- Chem. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I believe most schools specifically list "one year GENERAL chem" as a pre-req. Also, you'll have to take O-chem, and gen chem is usually the pre-req for o-chem.

Med schools want one year of the chemistry that science majors & health professionals are supposed to take. This is to involve a lab, and is usually part of the requirement for Organic. The pre-health chemistry is usually different from the chemistry that non-science people take to complete their science core curriculum requirements. Every school is different, however, so you need to find out which is the science major/pre-health chem class. At my school, this difference is clearly marked in the course catalog. I know premeds who felt insecure, and took both. However, they knew going into it that the intro chem class wouldn't count in the eyes of the adcom. If you are still unsure, you can always ask your pre-med advisor.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are two ways of looking at this issue. The easy way - and the more challenging way. What is important - in this stats obsessed world - is that you get all "A" grades. Sadly, it should be how willing you are to challenge yourself, or how much you learn. (But we know this is not really the case) If you like chemistry - place out of intro, and take gen chem w/lab then take (pchem w/lab, or inorganic w/lab, or quant w/lab). If you don't really like chemistry, or lack the confidence that you will get "A"s in the post-gen chem classes, take intro w/lab and gen w/lab. I did neither, and am suffering un-needed anxiety since Pchem had no lab, and am worrying that my honors project (in metallo-organic complexation chemistry) will serve this deficit - I got a "C" in pchem - which I worked hard for since I didn't know how to do partial derivatives when the class started- at the detriment to other class grades. Now, it looks like it all will work out, but be smart about it - take intro and gen w/lab and be done. Unless you think you can show off with "A"s in one of the other courses...... It's your call.

Oh, I hadn't thought clearly about this.... Is is possible that adcoms won't take an intro chem class? I see. perhaps you should call around. See the amcas website for admissions office phone numbers - that's what the're for....

lemonlite said:
Oh, I hadn't thought clearly about this.... Is is possible that adcoms won't take an intro chem class? I see. perhaps you should call around. See the amcas website for admissions office phone numbers - that's what the're for....
Intro to chem wont count for pre-reqs. I think it will count towards bcmp, but I don't see a point in taking it unless you're really need the extra prep for general.