Introductory Courses- Do they Hurt your Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreekPre-Med

GreekPre-Med
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really need your feedback guys,

I am a history major who took all the pre-med classes- getting solid grades in all of them.

But now I am a junior, with History classes up the ass, and am also taking Introductory Biochem and Intro Micro. I have also taken intro Physio, and I may be taking Intro Genetics Next semester. Does taking all these Intro classes Hurt/Help my chances? Thank you very much

Emmanuel

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm. Well since you did well in all of your premed courses, you'll probably do well in the intro classes... which will boost your bcpm gpa. So I guess it helps you :) Plus, at least you're getting exposure to a lot of these classes you will see in med school. Although you might want to add in some harder courses your senior year or something to show AdComs that you can handle difficult course work.

When you say intro, do u mean lower division courses?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, I mean lower numbers of upper division courses

Examples Include

1.Introductory Micro (301)
2. Introductory Physiology (250)
3. Introductory Biochem (200)

Can not taking the most difficult version of a class that they don't require hurt your chances of getting into a med school. Let me put it this way, I knew a guy who had a 4.0, 42 on his MCAT,and brought democracy to a third world nation, but the adcom at Harvard was so annoyed at him for not taking upper lever Cell Bio that they had him killed! He is now buried next to Jimmy Hoffa.

Take whatever the hell you want. Some extra science class will help you be a little more prepared for med school but bio majors are a dime a dozen, med schools will not be impressed just because you took biochem. Being a history major is far more likely to interest them than you having taken an extra science class or two. If you want to take more science because you like it then take it. It will make you somewhat more prepared for med school and the MCAT. If you are really busy and it will make your life hell then don't bother.