Introductory Organic Chemistry Lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kuzy

Startled Red Panda
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I hope the new year is treating you well!

So I just realized that I may have messed up real bad. At community college I went to 5 years ago, I took introductory organic chemistry (a 100 level course) over the summer before my second year to help me "prepare for orgo 1" because I was 19 and an idiot. I ended up working couple years before going to a 4 year school, and took orgo 1 in the fall but was not able to get into a lab section because I was a transfer.

At the time, my adviser told me that although my intro organic lab didn't transfer in for orgo 1's lab, they would count it anyway so I could take orgo II lab the next semester. Since then I, have not taken orgo 1 lab, half because I already had a very full schedule, and half because quite I honestly forgot about it. Fast forward 3 years and I am about to graduate, but from my understanding technically without orgo I lab, which is not good considering I hope to apply this coming cycle. Will med schools count introductory organic chem lab taken at a CC in place of real orgo 1 lab? If it helps, which I doubt it does, I will have also taken pchem, analytical 1 and 2., biochem 1 + lab and biochem 2, and inorganic chem.

I'm guessing the answer is no, so from what I can tell I have several options besides calling every school I plan on applying to and seeing if they'll accept it:
1. apply as is, hope they don't notice (jk)
2. take orgo I lab over the summer, and apply once I get the grade back in the middle of august (no bueno)
3. take orgo I lab over the summer or sometime next year and apply next cycle :boom:

Any advice/lectures scolding me for my stoopidity would be appreciated!

Sincerely,
Your friendly, anonymous SDNer

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure you would only need to take it before matriculating at a school where it is a requirement, which means you can apply without having taken it yet.