Mar 7, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello,

I interviewed at my dream school but don't think I knocked them out of the park. The 60 minute interview was cut down to about 12 because my interviewer had to first read over my file, and then had to attend to patients.

My stats are kind of average for the school 3.5/34

The school accepts about 65% post-interview
and in a class of 255, only about 50 of those spots are from the initially waitlisted. so i'm guessing the waitlist doesn't move all that much.

how could i possibly improve my chances of getting in post-interview?

MiniMoo

5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2010
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hello,

I interviewed at my dream school but don't think I knocked them out of the park. The 60 minute interview was cut down to about 12 because my interviewer had to first read over my file, and then had to attend to patients.

My stats are kind of average for the school 3.5/34

The school accepts about 65% post-interview
and in a class of 255, only about 50 of those spots are from the initially waitlisted. so i'm guessing the waitlist doesn't move all that much.

how could i possibly improve my chances of getting in post-interview?

That sucks. I've had interviews like that too. :rolleyes:

You can always write a letter of interest/intent post-interview, although their effectiveness is highly debated. But it definitely couldn't hurt. Aside from that, just wait and hope for the best. Luckily the interview is only one part of your entire application.

About the Ads

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You might check in SDN's school-specific thread for that institution and see if your interview was extremely unusual. If so, there might be a possibility of appealing to be re-interviewed. This could be a risky move, but it's worked for others. You'd need to be very, very diplomatic in how you put the request.

Alternatively, write a Letter of Intent, which would give the reasons why this school is perfect for you, promising to attend if accepted. Of course this makes scholarships less likely if you thought you were a candidate.

Mar 7, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You might check in SDN's school-specific thread for that institution and see if your interview was extremely unusual. If so, there might be a possibility of appealing to be re-interviewed. This could be a risky move, but it's worked for others. You'd need to be very, very diplomatic in how you put the request.

Alternatively, write a Letter of Intent, which would give the reasons why this school is perfect for you, promising to attend if accepted. Of course this makes scholarships less likely if you thought you were a candidate.

how does one go about promising to attend if accepted?
is this always taken well?

( i'm not expecting any scholarships, so tell me more )

bannie22

Hero
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
I will definitely attend X school if granted the opportuntiy t ostudy there.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
By saying you'll withdraw all your other applications. That way they know you won't be lured away by a scholarship offer from elsewhere. The reason this might work is because one of the parameters for ranking by US News and World Report is the ratio between acceptances and places in the class. This is less helpful if your preferred school isn't ranked.

Mar 7, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
thanks so much guys for the feedback.

i actually sent a letter of intEREst a week ago, and the dean and director of admissions have both responded very positively.

the way it works at this school is that, they only accept/waitlist on the day that the committee meets with the interviewer. i take it the committee hasn't met with my interviewer yet.

so should i send the letter of intent right away, or wait to see if i've been waitlisted first...?

thoughts, experiences?

Mar 7, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Since you got a positive response, I'd wait. It's only been a week. Save some ammunition.

only thing complicating this is that its tougher to get in off the waitlist (i think) as this school historically only accepts about 50 applicants off the waitlist into its matriculating class

complex stuff!

but at the same time i do want them to want me
and see how badly they want me
before telling them that i want them desperately badly

the med students running the interview day said to liken the interview process with dating
you send a friend request to a med school. med school responds. med school says they'd like to meet. you meet a med school. med school meets you. you both try and decide if you like each other. if you both do, then hey, maybe you end up together.
to take this analogy more fully, i'd assume i should not be too desperate yes? med school wouldn't want me if i didn't know i was want-able too?

am i getting carried away here? lols

continue with thoughts.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads