Invasion of the MudPhuds!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlexanderJ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what percentage of the Rad Onc spots were taken by MudPhuds this year?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it was roughly 50% but Im having trouble placing my finger on where the source was. Generally, RadOnc is very MudPhud friendly and the PDs eat them up.

Although I totally agree that Md/PhD's are gems in PD's eyes, I don't think I would estimate the match rate at 50%. That just seems a little high. From what I've heard, they would only comprise no more than 30% of the interview candidates. Now I guess you could say they have a higher match rate than non-MD/PhD's, but even at the top programs, they didn't seem to be interviewing a higher proportion than 30 ish either, and I would say it's safe to assume that everyone interviewing at top programs match somewhere.

I don't know. All I do know is that if for some reason there were a hundred Md/PhD's one year that decided to go in to rad one for some reason, they could totally muscle out the lowly straight up Md's and then we'd be left out in the cold. It's a scary thought and one that I hope never comes true.

Members don't see this ad :)
50%??

As an MD PhD who matched, I can tell you: Not a chance. Less than 20% of people interviewing for positions this year were MD PhD, and to assume they're better candidates than "regular MDs," by any measure, is just poor logic. Program dirertors aren't stupid, and they know that having a PhD doesn't inherently make you a good physician (or researcher for that matter). I personally know at least 5 PhD's who I met interviewing this year who didn't match last year and were hanging on to slim hopes of matching this year. It's true, having a PhD carries definite connotations, but remember that these includes both positive and negative prejudices.

This is true even under the proverbial circumstance of "all other things being equal. . ."

there are only about 700 total MD/PhDs who graduate every year from med school.

How many total rad onc spots are there?

what field are you going into general tso? you post a lot, just curious

i would bet a great sum of money that not 50% oif the incoming rad onc residents are phds. any relavant research even without the phd makes a candidate very attractive in rad onc. if i get solid numbers re: phd% ill post them.

does research in radiology count for anything? Or only if its directly radiation therapy type research?

I think any research helps. I did my research in biochemcial
enginnering. Not related to rad/onc, or even medicine in
general. What it shows, is ability to define a problem, look
into it, and solve it, then communicate your solution to others.
The research process is more important than the specific research
problem. Those that can do research, can do it in most any
field, those that can't won't ever be able. It seems to be an
innate talent. Looking at the big picture and then drawing
logical conclusions about what is next and knowing where to
go from there. Some people flounder as to what to do, some
people flourish with the possibilities. Everybody has their
talents, look deep into yours and decide accordingly.

any research helps; obviously something related is most attractive; but dedication and ability to academic pursuits is considered attractive in specialites in general, rad onc in particular.
steph