Investing in Healthcare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SergeGainsbourg

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So most of you have a ton of debt and probably have spent quite a bit of thought on how you're going to eventually balance your books and get into the black. Seems like it's fairly standard to invest in diversified stocks and mutual funds. But for higher returns it's advantageous to use part of your funds to focus on a particular sector and learn that sector well. So healthcare isn't particularly hot right now. Most people are going for minerals, infrastructure, hydorcarbons an aerospace. But if you focus on an area you know well it seems that you could rate good prospects and prosper from them even if that sector as a whole isn't moving very fast.

Well not many people know healthcare as well as we do or will. We sort of have the inside scoop on what's needed and what new advances are likely to succeed in medicine. I started thinking about this after talking to a doc in a private hospital that I rotated through. He talked about how impressed he was when his hospital bought it's first pulse ox machine. It was obvious very quickly that the device was going to be a success. So he went and bought as many shares in the company that made them as he could. He made a huge return within a few years and has been investing in healthcare amongst other sectors since then.

Are any of you out there currently investing in healthcare? Do you find that your job in medicine gives you an advantage? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

SergeGainsbourg said:
So most of you have a ton of debt and probably have spent quite a bit of thought on how you're going to eventually balance your books and get into the black. Seems like it's fairly standard to invest in diversified stocks and mutual funds. But for higher returns it's advantageous to use part of your funds to focus on a particular sector and learn that sector well. So healthcare isn't particularly hot right now. Most people are going for minerals, infrastructure, hydorcarbons an aerospace. But if you focus on an area you know well it seems that you could rate good prospects and prosper from them even if that sector as a whole isn't moving very fast.

Well not many people know healthcare as well as we do or will. We sort of have the inside scoop on what's needed and what new advances are likely to succeed in medicine. I started thinking about this after talking to a doc in a private hospital that I rotated through. He talked about how impressed he was when his hospital bought it's first pulse ox machine. It was obvious very quickly that the device was going to be a success. So he went and bought as many shares in the company that made them as he could. He made a huge return within a few years and has been investing in healthcare amongst other sectors since then.

Are any of you out there currently investing in healthcare? Do you find that your job in medicine gives you an advantage? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Being in private practice, Ive learned you would have to be a complete ***** to invest blindly in healthcare. No other industry has this level of government oversight, regulation and litigation. Its worthless, even biopharm is a big loser in my book due to potential for big litigation to pull the rug from out under your butt at almost anytime. That fact VC even throws money at biopharm start up is a joke, obviously Harvvvhadd MBAs are attracted to sparkly cowbell type biz models rather than realistic concepts. I bet even if someone invented the cure for ALL carcinomas, they couldnt even make enough money from it to rival insurance company CEOs let alone the gas/energy/tech giants!!

I think medical devices are marginally better and more protected from litigation, but still its just a wash.

LADoc00 said:
I think medical devices are marginally better and more protected from litigation, but still its just a wash.

I'd say that devices are a lot better. Might have been good to get in on, or start thinking about ligasure, stretta or even lidco while we're seeing them in trade journals. I'm not talking about "blind" investing, but rather using knowledge from our side of the street to guide sensible investing. Of course it would be higher risk than a mutual fund, but that isn't saying much. Have you experience in healthcare investing? If so, what area? and what happened?

LADoc00 said:
I bet even if someone invented the cure for ALL carcinomas, they couldnt even make enough money from it to rival insurance company CEOs .

Hmmm, so why no put some money in HMO's/insurance companies. Might be able to get some of what they're fleecing us for back. Would it be sacrelidge for a doctor to invest in an HMO for personal gain? :eek:

Specialty hospitals seem to be on the up and up these days. Everyone at my center is abuzz about how much they're hurting us. Those might be a good bet. :idea: