Inviting yourself to an interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jase133

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was a thread somewhere before regarding telling schools in closeby areas that you've been invited to school X and that you want to see if they were considering you for interview to save travel expenses.

Has anyone who have done this actually had this work for them?

Members don't see this ad.

I tried that last year, but it just made my rejections come speedily. I was like "yeah, I'm going to be in (so and so state) in the coming weeks and I wanted to know if a decision has been made on my file as of yet?" I got speedy rejections.

It has worked for me once and hopefully it will work again next month :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Imitiaz: Sorry to hear that it didn't work.

So it's basically a trap to try, eh? Nuts.

I suppose I will have to waste time and $ on this whole thing. I suppose 2-3 trips to Mass. and NY and California each isn't bad... not.

Scooby: It worked? See, now I'm curious to try, but then again I don't want a speedy rejection from the only "top" school (I think) I have a decent chance

It's worked for me twice (Albany let me schedule around my Columbia interview, and Jefferson let me schedule around my MCPH interview), not worked multiple times that didn't result in speedy rejection (Rochester couldn't let me know in time, but later offered me an interview -- the invite came while I was in NY for the Columbia/Albany interviews. Other schools that said no I haven't heard anything more from), and speeded up my rejection at JHU (I have the distinction of being the first SDNer to be rejected by them!). So I don't think asking them to allow you to coordinate interviews is necessarily the kiss of death. I think that in some cases it just might speed up your notification of a rejection, not cause it. In the vast majority of cases it has no effect. Occasionally you'll find a school that will bend over backwards, for whatever reason, to help you.

I agree with SMW. It wont cause you to get rejected... it will only speed it up if it is going to happen anyway. I think it actually gives you a little advantage because you showed interest in that school and they just might add one more person to the total interviewed for that reason. Go for it. The funny thing is that I tried it with the University of Chicago (when I went to Michigan) and they told me over the phone four days later that they wouldnt consider me anymore for an interview. So.... I got a "speedy" rejection but I probably would have gotten it anyway in a month or two more. I dont think they got mad about the question. Northwestern did not choose to do anything. Good luck.

Yeah I agree with what other posters have said. My stats sucked. I was going to be rejected anyway. If you're a strong candidate go for it. Might as well find out sooner than later so you can have time to plan things out. Good luck.