involvement in clubs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is it to be involved in clubs and organizations during the first 2 years of med school? Is this something that residency programs will look at?

Members don't see this ad.

i've been involved in a handful of clubs...my biggest effort is probably the AMA. Not only do i think they look at your involvement in residencies (and fellowships), i've met a lot of great people and programs through my involvement that i never would have known otherwise...

ssdoc said:
How important is it to be involved in clubs and organizations during the first 2 years of med school? Is this something that residency programs will look at?

If you are in a leadership role, it may be noticed by residency directors. Otherwise, I don't think they notice much... just another anonymous member of an anonymous club at an anonymous school.

cheers,

jd

Members don't see this ad :)
jhug said:
i've been involved in a handful of clubs...my biggest effort is probably the AMA. Not only do i think they look at your involvement in residencies (and fellowships), i've met a lot of great people and programs through my involvement that i never would have known otherwise...

I heard directly from some residency directors that they don't care. Why wouldn't you join a club in a specialty you are interested in? Free lunches, meetings, specialty exposure, and a shirt for a small fee?

I think the biggest benefit you receive (other than free lunches, shirts, etc...) is the peace of mind that there is more out there than your two preclinical years. Going to meetings and hearing a professional speak about their choosen field can take your mind off the 3 tests you have that week for an hour while motivating you to get your studying done so that nothing stands in the way of your interests.

osu...
i guess it's who you talk to...i've been told by directors (mostly of fellowship programs...ie: cardio) that seeing extra stuff on your cv helps get a better picture of who you are and what you are like...
if you stay in a hole during school and study...you may be a bright student...but they will teach you/you will learn medicine while in residency...more, they want to know that you can work with other people (especially in leadership positions as stated above) and that working with you every day won't be a bigger pain (and more work) than just doing it alone...

jhug said:
osu...
i guess it's who you talk to...i've been told by directors (mostly of fellowship programs...ie: cardio) that seeing extra stuff on your cv helps get a better picture of who you are and what you are like...
if you stay in a hole during school and study...you may be a bright student...but they will teach you/you will learn medicine while in residency...more, they want to know that you can work with other people (especially in leadership positions as stated above) and that working with you every day won't be a bigger pain (and more work) than just doing it alone...

It depends on the school. Everyone at my school joins many clubs for the free lunches. It doesn't really mean anything.

ssdoc said:

There are a lot of really interesting clubs on campus; I've made the decision to only join a few of them and get involved in what they do. Others went ahead and joined a dozen or so.

Like the previous poster, I'm most involved in the AMA. A great organization, and you have the opportunity to actually get involved in the state medical societies through it. I'd highly recommend getting in contact with your campus chapter and signing up...