Involvement with State, Local, and National Associations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texanpsychdoc

Clinical Psychologist & Assistant Professor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think this topic has come up on some level in other threads, and perhaps there's a thread on this somewhere that I have admittedly not dug up. I wanted to create dialogue on a topic that I think is not often discussed enough with respect to identifying mechanisms of influence as it pertains to one's involvement in a state, local, and/or national psychological association. In sum, I have read/heard from folks on here as well as outside of the forum the variable fidelity folks have to those respective associations. I wanted to get thoughts from those comfortable to share as to the following:

1. What has prompted you to join/leave a psychological association (state, local, national)?

2. Do you see any benefits in joining? If so, please specify.

3. Do you see any benefits in leaving? If so, please specify.

4. What would you like to see more/less of from your association?

5. How involved are you with your association(s)?

I am genuinely curious to see others' responses - all responses are welcomed regardless or one's political or moral inclinations. In fact, it is encouraged to really get diverse opinions from all sides of the socio-political spectrum that our field operates within.

I proposed this to (hopefully) avoid this becoming a dialogue that results in it being an echo chamber of one-sided views or beliefs. Ultimately, if we as psychologists want to advocate for ourselves and have a robust network of associations to help us do that, I think discussing potential strengths and weaknesses can be helpful to grow our field, and I think that starts with a discussion such as this.

I look forward to hearing from folks!

Members don't see this ad.

1) I wanted to be more involved in advocacy

2) Some listservs have been immensely helpful. Behind the scenes, these organizations are doing A TON of legislative advocacy. Many of us have a paid lobbyists.

3.) Just more free time.

4.) More focus on practice issues rather than spreading efforts to thinly.

5.) varied throughout the years, sometimes very involved e-board

Reactions: 2 users
Good topic. I am a one-issue voter here. I pay dues to APA and my state association so that they can continue to do legislative advocacy. Psychology is under-represented as it is. I would be very worried if our associations and lobbyists disappeared due to lack of funding.

APA does some things that I personally consider cringy or offensive. I choose to look the other way.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1. If they provide value for my money. I primarily care about advocacy.

2. State membership has been hit and miss. I have been active at the state level and it was overall a good experience, though I have less and less time, so my involvement dropped.

3. I'd rather support, but I need reasons to do it.

4. Involvement in reimbursement and protection against midlevel encroachment.

5. I left/rejoined/left/etc. APA over the past 15+ years because they largely have sucked for advocating for things I care about. Tony (Puentes) helped re-adjust the ship, but I still don't have much faith in them as an org now. I've found the most value in APA divisions (22 & 40). State level has been decent overall, but I just don't have time for them now. I used to be quite involved at the national level, but time and desire are more limited now. As an early career, it was a good experience, but now it's just about the grind and trying to enjoy my off time.

I previously did some lobbying and advocacy work as an ECP, including educating members on how to lobby, be a knowledge/resource expert for legislators, and how to most effectively impact and shape policy. In my former career this was some of what I did, so it was a way I could make an impact. Now I use these skills to help smaller non-profits with advocacy in their niche areas, as it allows me to "give back" w/o cannibalizing my time. I'm not involved in my current state assoc. but I at least joined them, so I stay in the loop about stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
1. I joined both APA as well as some divisions (both current and past). I also belong to my state's psychological association and the American Academy of Clinical Psychology. I joined thinking it might help me network, could provide some benefits, discounts, etc.

2. I think a benefit for joining is that it shows others you are committed to the field and ensuring its longevity.

3. I have progressively been considering just leaving the associations as I see them engaging in advocacy efforts that really diverge from my interests and what I support. I have seen much of APA and other state organizations becoming echo chambers. Personally, I won't be voting for any of the APA presidential candidates - they just don't "speak to me," and I see them as pandering/virtue-signaling to gain votes.

4. I would like to see more representation from other perspectives as they pertain to tackling social advocacy issues, practice expansion and protecting our field. I have found our field has become way too liberal (whether people want to admit it or not), it is what it is, and frankly, it's discouraging and makes me feel like I'm a minority in our association, and that my thoughts, perspectives, voice is insignificant and even frowned upon.

5. I actually serve on a few committees between my state association as well as a national organization. I have found the state association committee I serve on is largely filled with people trying to re-invent the wheel and completely ignorant of other perspectives/unwilling to try new things.

Last edited:
I think there is going to be a researcher/clinician divide here. I'm speaking as a researcher

I haven't (really) been a member of a state/regional org, though joined a handful at various points for conference registration discounts. Honestly, just never saw the point. We were basically told not to bother in grad school as you should be aiming larger/broader with your impact. I've attended a few conferences. They were pretty invariably "cute" and I could see being a fun outlet for students without travel funding or faculty at institutions without much research emphasis, but the work presented there is usually a joke compared to what you find elsewhere. The same could be said of APA though (and most large associations it seems - APHA is even worse).

Was a member of APA for a quite a long time. Left because I felt they were at best doing a bad job representing the science side of psychology (if not actively working against my interests). The APAPO debacle was the last straw, when it came out they were lying/misleading people to get money, had been for years and responded with basically "Sorry, not sorry". Seemed silly to join and push them in a science direction when I could just support organizations that better represented my interests. So I left because F them.

Now I'm mostly in national/international specialty orgs. Not currently an AAAS member, but if I was going to join a generic one that would likely be it as they do far more to represent me than APA does. APS is a bit better, but I think AAAS does far better on the advocacy front. Vying for membership in a few where you actually have to "apply" (i.e. not an association where anyone can pay a fee and join). I try to maintain at least 1-2 stable memberships where I can engage more heavily and the rest bounce around from year to year based on what conferences I feel like attending or get involved in lighter weight activities that seem interesting.

All that said, I'm: 1) Not practicing clinically currently (though still maintain a license); 2) Not in a psychology department; 3) Not even in a psychiatry or neurology department; and 4) Do work that incorporates psychology but also integrates a bunch of different fields. So my interests/motivations will differ from most.

1) i left because I have better connections and better abilities to privately advocate. And I have zero interest in sharing my resources with a group that will embarrass me because they can’t be bothered to learn about a subject.

2) No
3) Let’s say after years of carefully cultivating relationships and donations, you’re friends with the legislators. If you can ask them for a favor, in a way that is legally actionable, understanding that they are all attorneys, that’s a win right? Now, the state psych association shows up to the governor’s office saying stupid things about their professional ethics (means nothing to him), wearing a bad suit with your nipple rings showing, and starts demanding actions that are not legally possible. Probably makes you and your profession look like a group that can’t play ball. Probably reduces your standing, making your investment in time and money less valuable. Why would you want to let that type of people piggy back?
4) Have them spend maybe 2hrs learning how lobbying works, and how to create a proposition that can actually be acted upon.

1) i left because I have better connections and better abilities to privately advocate. And I have zero interest in sharing my resources with a group that will embarrass me because they can’t be bothered to learn about a subject.

2) No
3) Let’s say after years of carefully cultivating relationships and donations, you’re friends with the legislators. If you can ask them for a favor, in a way that is legally actionable, understanding that they are all attorneys, that’s a win right? Now, the state psych association shows up to the governor’s office saying stupid things about their professional ethics (means nothing to him), wearing a bad suit with your nipple rings showing, and starts demanding actions that are not legally possible. Probably makes you and your profession look like a group that can’t play ball. Probably reduces your standing, making your investment in time and money less valuable. Why would you want to let that type of people piggy back?
4) Have them spend maybe 2hrs learning how lobbying works, and how to create a proposition that can actually be acted upon.

1.) Networking, advocacy, etc. -- Have left organizations that felt cringe-y, lacking in terms of professionalism, overdemanding of volunteer leaders, etc.

2.) Volunteering for leadership opportunities in my specialty professional organization (an APA division) helped me build a large, national network of professional colleagues. I secured a paid research position near the end of graduate school because of a connection I made with the president of that APA division. When I applied to internship and postdoc, many of my interviews were with faculty I had already built relationships with through my division leadership experience, which was reassuring (if not directly helpful).

3. I've found benefit in narrowing my involvement with professional organizations. I had previously been involved in leadership/advocacy in various organizations at the state and national level. I've since withdrawn considerably and am now only involved in one-ish organization.

4. Involvement in reimbursement and protection against midlevel encroachment.

5. I'm a not-very-active member in my state association. I think I'm a member of APA? I'm a very involved member in my specialty association. I'm on the editorial board of one journal in my specialty area.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
1. I have gone back and forth depending on my needs but currently belong to APA and some specialty orgs. Not a member of my state psych org currently but I have been in the past.

2. Networking, CEUs, and advocacy are my biggest reasons for joining.

3. More time for me and money in my pocket.

4. Better advocacy on clinical issues, a clearer message to members

5. On the board of a specialty organization and less than thrilled with the experience (a little too demanding and bit of in group/ out group issues for me). However, it also highlights how small the group that is actively involved in larger issues is to me. In a large organization it is mainly just a few people that are truly active and they all seem to know each other well.

Reactions: 1 user